Options

Karen Carpenter

Comments

• Options
    pussyfootpussyfoot Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could i possibly have the pm too please.
  • Options
    Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scone wrote: »
    Apparently she was only 1 stone underweight when she died, she was around 7 and a half stone when her ideal weight was 8 and a half stone.

Her last appearances from 1981 or so have her looking so thin I can only conclude she gained some weight again after that.
  • Options
    Moody BlueMoody Blue Posts: 5,686
    Forum Member
    Could I have the PM too please, big fan here :)
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor Bellagio! I honestly don't think it's (PM) that shocking, especially in context of how much we hear about celebs now. I can understand why you're not putting it on the thread though, especially if you've had dealings with their associates. It would probably only raise an eyebrow today, if at all, and has already been strongly hinted at in the thread itself. I found it sad, more than anything. Awful when you read that someone who gives so much in performing is so unhappy, troubled and feels they have an image to live up to. Having had an eating disorder myself, many years ago, all perspective goes out of the window and whatever discrepancies one might hold about oneself beforehand get magnified several times once the condition takes hold.

KC had a lot of demons and I have a lot of sympathy for how she ended up, no matter how she got there. It shouldn't have happened and was such a waste. Bless her soul. At least she left behind something very special. Whether you were a fan of the Carpenters' music or not, it's hard to deny what a cracking voice Karen had.
  • Options
    Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the PM.
  • Options
    jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could I possibly be sent the pm? I have always been a huge fan of Karen's voice and the Carpenters' music so would be intrigued to know more - many thanks

Could I add myself to the PM list please? My Mum was a huge Carpenters fan when I was growing up in the 70s - none of my friends seemed to listen to their music, though, so I never mentioned that I liked them. We are also a musical family, and I love singing along to Karen's songs (although I don't have her range, and my Mum with her alto voice is far more suited to Karen's range than my soprano). I always watch the Karen Carpenter Story when it's on TV - it's so sad, and yet you can't help watching in the hope that - maybe, this time - she'll have the happy ending she so deserved.

My favourite Karen-sung song is Solitaire, mainly because it reminds me of so many things in my own life and the words are so apt to that, but I love them all in their own way.

Anyway, apologies for being long-winded - please only when you have time. Happy New Year, fellow thread-dwellers and Carpenters fans :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Poor Bellagio! I honestly don't think it's (PM) that shocking, especially in context of how much we hear about celebs now. I can understand why you're not putting it on the thread though, especially if you've had dealings with their associates. It would probably only raise an eyebrow today, if at all, and has already been strongly hinted at in the thread itself. I found it sad, more than anything. Awful when you read that someone who gives so much in performing is so unhappy, troubled and feels they have an image to live up to. Having had an eating disorder myself, many years ago, all perspective goes out of the window and whatever discrepancies one might hold about oneself beforehand get magnified several times once the condition takes hold.

KC had a lot of demons and I have a lot of sympathy for how she ended up, no matter how she got there. It shouldn't have happened and was such a waste. Bless her soul. At least she left behind something very special. Whether you were a fan of the Carpenters' music or not, it's hard to deny what a cracking voice Karen had.

I agree completely with everything here. Excellent post!
  • Options
    Red-EyeRed-Eye Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    I know everyone's probably sick of seeing this comment but can I request for the PM too please? Thanks.

Must be really bad if you can't post it here but at the same time I don't want to bury my head in the sand.

Every time I look at Karen Carpenter I feel sad, poor woman.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Sara Webb wrote: »
    Much as I hate it when people derail threads by banging on about PMs, I'd appreciate one myself if anyone can spare a min to forward me it. :D Cheers!

Ditto, my thoughts and my request aswell please.
  • Options
    hopwoodlhopwoodl Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bellagio wrote: »
    The end of the reunion last September was blown out of all proportion by the media: no-one fired anyone else, because they can't, on their own - has to be a majority vote of the corporation. What happened was, Mike was asked by Brian's people to let the fans know that the shows post-September would not feature Brian, Alan & David, as had been agreed back in the summer. Problem is, the press release from Mike's people was ill-timed and none too well worded. Onstage, and in interviews, Mike is 'on', and it's a fact that a lot of folk don't like his persona. He knows that. One-on-one, he's a very funny guy (in a very dry manner) and good company (as is Brian, if he's comfortable), but very few fans get to catch him like that. Yes, he's said and done some things that were, to be polite about it, unfortunate. Bottom line, he's human, he screws up. Just in public, most of the time. :D

Thanks for answering. It's one of those stories that has intrigued me on and off, and reading a biography about Dennis didn't help. Great and talented band in any case!

Mike did help Paul McCartney with Back in the USSR too so as a massive Beatles fan I shouldn't really the badly of him ;-)
  • Options
    MissWalfordMissWalford Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could you pm me too please? :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red-Eye wrote: »
    Every time I look at Karen Carpenter I feel sad, poor woman.

Me too. :(
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got into The Carpenters via my older sisters vinyl collection way back when. As (weird?!) kids do, I had a bit of a crush on her just from the 'Horizon' album cover! When I was a bit older, I, um, 'inherited' said albums. (My sister had lost interest, basically) and when I heard her sing "Morning opens quietly, A Shadow vision over me..." I was hooked.

Stunningly beautiful voice. Imperishable. So sad what happened, however it happened.
  • Options
    BellagioBellagio Posts: 3,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm off for a few days over New Year, so the PM responses will be on hold. Nothing personal.

@scone - I've researched The Beach Boys, and other musicians, for decades and one thing has become very, very evident in that time: they're very litigious people who believe their own publicity and don't very much like it when when that's questioned. For example I was once threatened with a lawsuit by Brian Wilson's (then) manager when I pointed out in a fanzine that Brian's alleged autobiography was little more than a cut and paste jobbie of other people's interviews, uncredited, even though it would have been obvious to Stevie Wonder. Plus, they have considerably better financial resources than I. A PM is hearsay in the eyes of the law and thus inadmissible, but posting it on a forum is technically publication, and accordingly actionable.
  • Options
    MinnimoMinnimo Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    Trust me to come into it and read the thread to want to ask for a pm too at the same time you decide to take a break :(

Enjoy though!
  • Options
    xmel05xmel05 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    Could someone please send me a pm about this if Bellagio is on a break.

Thank you
  • Options
    Moody BlueMoody Blue Posts: 5,686
    Forum Member
    xmel05 wrote: »

Thank you

Me too please :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Moody Blue wrote: »
    Me too please :)

Ditto. But I haven't seen anyone else say they have sent them on their behalf since thread started.
  • Options
    Dicey RileyDicey Riley Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    xmel05 wrote: »

Thank you

Please may I have a pm too many thanks
  • Options
    Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would someone kindly forward me their PM - thanks.:)
  • Options
    GeneGenie7GeneGenie7 Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    could someone send me the pm as well please ty
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Could I also have the PM. Thanks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Got the PM, thank you but all this cloak and dagger stuff - hardly a major revelation and cant see why it cant be posted on here as a discussion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Got the PM, thank you but all this cloak and dagger stuff - hardly a major revelation and cant see why it cant be posted on here as a discussion.

Can you please forward it to me :)? Thank you
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bellagio wrote: »
    That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. The closest I can divine is that there was only one row of (seated) mourners, and they were all police officers. :confused:

Edit: went to the website in question, and here's what was actually said:

" They did an OK job on her, but one must remember the condition she was in at the time. She was thin and looked sickly. Lots of make-up I remember.

Her hair was short, dark and curly. Her face (looking through the mesh) was very old and tired. It was like looking at a 50 year old at the time. Her face was extremely thin and her hands looked skeletal. I do not remember if there were any religious items in her hands. I really don't think there were, but I remember just sitting there thinking this is not my Karen. I sobbed the whole time. They also had up that theater-like roping to keep people away from the casket (damn Richard) so I could not get as close as I would have liked. I would have kissed her goodbye if I could have gotten that close. But they kept mourners at a distance of about three feet away from her. I had written a letter to her and I wanted to place it in her coffin, but the mesh material stopped me from doing that, so I left it with the one red rose I brought that night.

In many of the articles after her death, when people speak of how many people attended her wake and 'people left just a red rose' (I was one of those people)- I was the first one there, sat directly in the front row for the entire wake. Richard, Agnes & Harold were standing in an alcove just to the right of her. There were also many Private or undercover police officers there as not to have any one taking pictures.

There were about maybe 20 chairs for the whole wake. Unlike any wake, where there is a row for family, that was not the case. 10 chairs on the right, 10 on the left."

Which I'm sure you'll agree makes a whole lot more sense.

Who is that being quoted ?

I've read before that Karen looked very old in her laying in her coffin.

Even in the photos taken in the last few years of her life make it hard to believe she was only in her 30s. For a condition that seems to centre around looks, it was a dreadful irony that it aged her as much as it did.

It's not really for us to question that though, is it ?

I'm sure that Bellagio has good reasons and anything posted online can be tracked back to the person that posted it if someone has enough cash and enough of a desire to find the person responsible. Richard Carpenter would probably have plenty of both of those if he happened across something he didn't like written on a website about his sister.

Best not to take the risk really, but if you have time to forward this much talked about PM to me, I would appreciate it seeing as Bellagio is away for a few days.