Morbid Stuff that Shouldn't Fascinate You But Does

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
Forum Member
✭✭
I've read about the Rhode Island fire at the Station Nightclub a few times in the past and I'm back on it. I watched the video once and never again, it was horrible. I'm not the sensitive type when it comes to that and can look at pretty much anything without flinching, but that video was horrific. Even so, the events of it are fascinating, there was so much went wrong because of so many people. The stories of the survivors are incredible too.

I feel bad for almost 'enjoying' this story, but it's not that, it just captures me, if that makes sense. So, in the interests of alleviating my conscience, is there anything that grabs you that you feel is a bit wrong?

Comments

• EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    Death row in America always has me interested, gives me the creeps too
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Death row in America always has me interested, gives me the creeps too

Mmm, that is depressing and yet still fascinating.

Last words from death row:
    http://www.crimelibrary.com/photogallery/last_words.html

Last meals before execution:
    http://www.crimelibrary.com/photogallery/last-meals.html

The mundane like the above makes me sad because words and meals should be just that, mundane. They're precious though at the time. :(
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    The footage, audios and images from 9/11 hold a strange fascination for me.

I feel I have to watch and listen to these things every now and again, purely to remind myself of the horror and enormity of what happened that day.

It's truly haunting.
  • Uncle_PhilUncle_Phil Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    I've read about the Rhode Island fire at the Station Nightclub a few times in the past and I'm back on it. I watched the video once and never again, it was horrible.

I've seen this video before. Think of it as an educational tool. If you're in a night club or somewhere similar and you notice a small fire break out .. YOU GET THE **** OUT OF THERE IMMEDIATELY.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oscar Pistorius trial, apparently.:blush::o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    The footage, audios and images from 9/11 hold a strange fascination for me.

I feel I have to watch and listen to these things every now and again, purely to remind myself of the horror and enormity of what happened that day.

It's truly haunting.

I think that I've seen them so much that I've become immune almost to what's on the screen. Selfishly, I remember more about my own fear when seeing it for the first time. That's pretty awful isn't it?
    Uncle_Phil wrote: »
    I've seen this video before. Think of it as an educational tool. If you're in a night club or somewhere similar and you notice a small fire break out .. YOU GET THE **** OUT OF THERE IMMEDIATELY.

Yeah, it's not something you forget when you've seen that fire. The speed it spread is unbelievable! To be seeing people just watching the fire and seeming to just do nothing, it must have been shock for a lot of them or they expected someone to just pop over and extinguish it .

Apparently in The Coconut Grove one, many bodies were found in their seats holding their glass :(
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    A lot of those are truly gross junk food requests considering you're about to vacate your bowels.
    Credit to the guy who asked for a cup of tea with biscuits.
    Going out in style. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of those are truly gross junk food requests considering you're about to vacate your bowels.
    Credit to the guy who asked for a cup of tea with biscuits.
    Going out in style. :)

From what I've read before the 'last meal' is actually a few days prior to the execution, but it's become a kind of tradition to offer it. Also the option of anything you want has the caveat, *as long as it's in the kitchen*
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Serial killers (so long as they are caught so we can read about what makes them tick).
  • DigitalSpyUserDigitalSpyUser Posts: 1,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Post mortems. I was "lucky" enough to see three when I was a student. I was doing work experience is a hospital, shadowing staff and my mentor at the hospital made a joke about me wanting to see a post mortem. I seriously said that I would like to see one. He stopped laughing and arranged it for me. It was relevant for my course at University. It's not a topic of conversation that everybody enjoys though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Serial killers (so long as they are caught so we can read about what makes them tick).

I think that's quite a common one. How, why? It's almost frustrating to be unable to understand how a person can become something like they do.
    Post mortems. I was "lucky" enough to see three when I was a student. I was doing work experience is a hospital, shadowing staff and my mentor at the hospital made a joke about me wanting to see a post mortem. I seriously said that I would like to see one. He stopped laughing and arranged it for me. It was relevant for my course at University. It's not a topic of conversation that everybody enjoys though.

See, that makes me jealous! I would love to see that. It's not ikky in my mind, but the working of the human body is beautiful. I've seen them on TV, that Dr who used to do his show was great, but to see one in RL would be amazing!
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bog bodies. Almost perfectly preserved snapshots of the long gone past. I find it fascinating because we automatically think of humans thousands of years ago as being primitive, but there's nothing majorly different about them, they were just born in a different time. It's a reminder that in the scheme of things we haven't been around very long at all.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    The Essex Boys murders.

i was absolutely disgusted by it, but almost became obsessed. I have to stop myself from looking up anything about it, as it starts me off again.
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Essex Boys murders.

i was absolutely disgusted by it, but almost became obsessed. I have to stop myself from looking up anything about it, as it starts me off again.

Hah, being a boxing fan I've always had an interest in that, being as there were some peripheral boxing characters involved (and some more than peripheral, if some of the transcripts from Bernard O'Mahoney's website are to believed, not that I particularly would).
  • DonmackDonmack Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For about a month last year I became fascinated with the case of Russell Williams & read everything I could about it.

Don't know if anyone else remembers, but he was a very, very high up colonel in the Canadian Air Force, in charge of a busy base and tipped for the very top - and he was convicted of the brutal murders of two women, sexual assaults of two more and umpteen burglaries where he'd stolen thousands of pairs of knickers.

I was fascinated, I think, because it's hard to imagine a less likely killer and he is clearly not a psychopath.

Horrible case, and scary.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Essex Boys murders.

I read the book about the murders in the early-00s after watching the film 'Essex Boys' on TV. Very interesting case.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am fascinated by what goes on in North Korea, tales of extreme survival situations and different methods of execution/torture used over the centuries.
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bog bodies. Almost perfectly preserved snapshots of the long gone past. I find it fascinating because we automatically think of humans thousands of years ago as being primitive, but there's nothing majorly different about them, they were just born in a different time. It's a reminder that in the scheme of things we haven't been around very long at all.
    That first picture in your link, Tollund Man, wow! peaceful and expressive. :)
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spree killings for me. I've read a few books on a few of the more famous ones. The Port Arthur one was fascinating, and reading some of the conspiracy theories surrounding it was equally as fascinating, but for all the wrong reasons.

But then I suppose it comes from the same mindset as finding serial killers interesting as well.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ten years ago, round about when the theroux documentary was on, I was fascinated by Jimmy savile.

I still can't stop quoting from 'when Louis met Jimmy.' even though I know it is wrong.

'i'm odd, your different. That's not a bad double'

'this is the bed, I call it the alter.' 'do people get sacrificed on the alter?'

'it's not a morbid thing.' 'i never brought up morbid, jimmy'
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Essex Boys murders.

Clearly there had to be a forth man, the killer.

I have always wondered if he was in the back of the RR or he met them in the lane and got into the back of the car.

But no foot prints in the snow as I recall.

It was such a professional hit and very very fast, no messing.

I still think it was ex SAS but for the deceased in the back, a bit messy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like to watch Liveleak to see the reality of how people meet their end in various incidents and conflicts around the world. Mainstream media is heavily sanitised.
  • yorkieUKyorkieUK Posts: 2,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find this website particularly interesting:

http://www.capitalpunishmentuk.org/contents.html

It is a history of capital punishment mainly in the UK. Lots of information and stories about executions, executioners, prisoners and much more. Grimly fascinating - well for me any way! :)

I was in Wandsworth prison about 20 years back and I had the unique experience of actually standing on the gallows platform itself. The execution chamber itself was directly next to the cell where the prisoner was "housed" so when the time came he/she would just have a few feet to walk before it was thank you and goodbye. At the time I was there the cell had been made into a rest room for the prison officers. One of the officers took me next door to show me the execution room and the platform was still there. The beam that held the rope was actually still there too.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Murders and murderers sounds weird, but I think that covers it! I have so many books on them, I'm fascinated. Also, mass shootings and the like. I read Columbine by Dave Cullen a few months ago, and loved it, for want of a better description. If I was only able to watch the crime channel, CI, for the rest of time, I'd be a happy camper.
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    Serial killers, disasters natural and man made, executions and execution methods, 9/11, how and when the Presidents of the USA died (I can't explain that one, it's just interesting).

I have some very morbid interests. I was up late the other night reading about execution methods, it was fascinating but I couldn't exactly explain why I was so tired the next day to everyone at work without looking like a weirdo.

Also I've lost count of the times I've been up late reading about serial killers that haven't been caught yet, not a good idea when you live alone, every little noise you hear in the night becomes terrifying :D