Retail closures and stores going into administration

Comments

• nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    I
    Could CPW be in the same sort of trouble? :confused:

I hope not as I am owed a phone case from them!
  • Keith_13Keith_13 Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CPW just merged with Currys/Dixons... I guess they regret The Link closure.
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    P4U website seems to be still operational. I haven't tried making a purchase though.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phones 4 U are a vile company. Sold me a phone that never worked where I lived - they said it would when entering my postcode into their online checker. Of course, they refused to let me change phone or at the very least change operator. They then told me to wait 14 days due to 'maintenance', then at the end of the 14 days told me I was no longer their problem and to contact Orange! So in other words, they told me to wait 14 days so they wouldn't have to deal with me anymore.

Will be glad to see them gone. Although, of course, it is very sad for the staff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    What difference does the time of year make? If you lose your job Christmas or otherwise...you'll still have the same bills to pay

Sorry, but that's rubbish. Christmas is by far the most expensive time of year for the majority of people. The retail and leisure industries make a huge proportion of their money over the period. You go out; you buy presents; you visit family and friends. You eat more, drink more. And this is without the extra expense incurred by the higher heating bills, laundry dried inside rather than out, extra transport costs etc.

Bear in mind also that a lot of people have just come back from holiday skint and are relying on the next three months or so wages to get them through the festive period. It's about the worst time possible to lose your job...
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it is over. most people DO feel the recession is over. Apart from benefit claimants. The answer there is to find work. Which there is a lot of.

Really, do you live in the real world?
    Most the of jobs available here are part time retail, about 20 hours a week, sure there is the odd factory taking people on, like a certain chicken one here, but they will do so to rank up their production line for Christmas.

Other places just seem to be using agencies.

We are having a new enterprise zone built, with all high tech companies moving there, if they do, but I doubt many local people will work there.

Recession may be over if you are a CEO, a MP or any other person earning over say £60,000 or more year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phones4U have just gone into administration:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/telecoms/11095462/Phones-4U-collapses-into-administration-as-EE-is-final-operator-to-hang-up.html

Stores will not open tomorrow.

O2, Vodafone and 3 had already pulled out of the store, with EE being the final blow.

Sad for the staff, but i can understand why the mobile service providers are doing it, even if I don't agree with it.
    Once again less choice on the high street and another empty shop in our high Town as if we have not got enough already.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    the quietest poundshops serve 1000 people per day, all spending between £3 - £5 each, the busier ones can do 30k per day, at christmas up to 50k per day

And they are still expanding, just opened one here and it is huge, well huge for use anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keith_13 wrote: »
    CPW just merged with Currys/Dixons... I guess they regret The Link closure.

I bet it is for the same reason why phones4u have gone belly up, I think CPW have seen the way the mobile service providers are going.

both companies deserve each other to be honest, they are both useless.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tesco! :D
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rolls Royce! :eek:

:D
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    Is this thread now for just randomly putting the names of companies who have made reduced profit or laid off workers?
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Homebase are shutting 1/3rd of there stores but seems most are being snapped up by bargain retailers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30177327

They sold this one to a property developer for £57 million.

JD Sports have also sold Bank Fashion:

http://www.retail-week.com/sectors/fashion/jd-sports-offloads-struggling-young-fashion-chain-bank/5066590.article

A few weeks back they wanted a rent reduction on some stores:

http://www.retail-week.com/property/jd-sports-asks-landlords-for-rent-reductions-on-bank-stores/5066266.article

I also noticed USC in Carlisle shut in the summer. Was a former Republic store.

Quite surprised these stores are struggling given they aim at a young fashion market. Not everybody likes Primark.

Am I right in thinking the new owners of Bank own HMV? Not sure what they plan on doing with HMV either Glasgow's not the same without the Buchannan Street store.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30178199

Plus if BT buys O2 who knows what that means for shops as seen with EE it meant many closures.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A more interesting question: does anyone here feel as though their shopping choice has been reduced due to a particular store chain going bankrupt? I mean do you ever think "I wish so and so was still open".

The local Homebase closing was a pain but it was so overpriced that I'm glad it pushed me to ordering more stuff on-line.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A more interesting question: does anyone here feel as though their shopping choice has been reduced due to a particular store chain going bankrupt? I mean do you ever think "I wish so and so was still open".

The local Homebase closing was a pain but it was so overpriced that I'm glad it pushed me to ordering more stuff on-line.

I genuinely miss Woolworths from a shopping experience wise how much I would buy there today who knows. Most of the bargain retailers stock most of what they sold.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I genuinely miss Woolworths from a shopping experience wise how much I would buy there today who knows. Most of the bargain retailers stock most of what they sold.

Yeah, Woolworths was one of my regular stops back in the days when I actually went into town. I hardly ever bought anything from there though apart from at Christmas.

It funny how my Christmas shop has changed from spending half a day going round a few high street stores to spending a couple of hours on Amazon and eBay. I suppose that's progress for you :D
  • dave clarkedave clarke Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Since Focus closed our homebase prices have rocketed have to be desperately desperate to use them
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There seemed to be more variety 15 or 20 years ago with larger stores like Woolworths, Littlewoods, C&A and Allders. Boots also had larger stores then.

Too many towns now are either nothing but identical 'pound shop' clone towns or are the other extreme and 'designer' boutique places. I think it's the middle ground that has shrunk :(
  • RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,235
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    There seemed to be more variety 15 or 20 years ago with larger stores like Woolworths, Littlewoods, C&A and Allders. Boots also had larger stores then.

Too many towns now are either nothing but identical 'pound shop' clone towns or are the other extreme and 'designer' boutique places. I think it's the middle ground that has shrunk :(

While I do agree, I also think people get very misty eyed over Woolworths, people remember getting pick and mix as kids and buying the odd CD single...but I bet many didn't buy any significant items there in its latter years.

I can see some big food stores starting to close next year, or getting parts of them sublet to other retailers. There has been a massive shift to convenience stores and the discount stores over the last couple of years, and even if good times return to the economy I just can't see many returning to the huge Tesco Extra type stores in the same numbers as they did at their 90s/00s peak.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While I do agree, I also think people get very misty eyed over Woolworths, people remember getting pick and mix as kids and buying the odd CD single...but I bet many didn't buy any significant items there in its latter years.

I can see some big food stores starting to close next year, or getting parts of them sublet to other retailers. There has been a massive shift to convenience stores and the discount stores over the last couple of years, and even if good times return to the economy I just can't see many returning to the huge Tesco Extra type stores in the same numbers as they did at their 90s/00s peak.

I agree with you too. It's ironic to think the very shops that helped kill the High Street are now in trouble themselves... So can we expect retail parks becoming 'ghost towns' now?

It's interesting reading if you look at the statistics comparing retail in Germany, Europe's biggest economy, with the UK's. I believe there are nearly twice as many retail units here compared to Germany - a larger and wealthier country. Just why were all these sites given planning permission?
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,639
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »

The problem was there was too much in the "middle ground".

If you look at the supermarkets now, some of them are struggling because they're essentially in the midddle ground and don't really know where to place themselves. I'd say Tesco, and Morrisons suffer the most from this, as well as Sainsbury's. They try to be all things to everyone and don't really excel at anything.

This is true of the middle ground shops that no longer exist - they didn't do anything that stood them out for anyone else and when you have so many companies selling the same thing for the same price in the same kinds of locations then at least one will lose out.

Really high end shops will always survive because in a recession there are still people with money, and the lower end/discounters will always survive because there will always be people who have a limited budget or who just like a bargain.
  • roger_purvisroger_purvis Posts: 968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its cyclical. I think people have moved away from weekly shops. Why not just use a local store as your larder? Let them take the hit for any perishables that go off. Because of this people use their local stores to get the odd bits as required. The german supermarkets moved into many of these sites over last 10-15 years. Intersting times. Tesco will regroup.
  • RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,235
    Forum Member
    Its cyclical. I think people have moved away from weekly shops. Why not just use a local store as your larder? Let them take the hit for any perishables that go off. Because of this people use their local stores to get the odd bits as required. The german supermarkets moved into many of these sites over last 10-15 years. Intersting times. Tesco will regroup.

More people live alone too (or in houseshares, but shop for themselves) and it makes sense for these people to buy small bits more often from convenience stores or Aldi/Lidl than the big superstores who's BOGOF offers aren't of interest because you end up chucking loads of food away.

that and the convenience stores have spread so much that there's one on most peoples drive/walk home from work, or near their bus stop, in their train station etc