Team GB's Lisa Dobriskey - "I don't believe I'm competing on a level playing field".

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she was going to say it, then she was actually in good position to say it when she did.

If she'd said it after getting within a whisker of the medal places it would have sounded even more like sour grapes.

The best position to say it would have been if she had actually been at the head of the group coming into the final bend, only to then get burned off by the entire field coming past her on the runup to the finish :)
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The way the men's 1500m was run was dodgy as well.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's said it now because it'll get maximum publicity. In a week's time most people won't even remember who 9th place Lisa is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Or just fast, the winner regularly trains at high altitude so this would have been a stroll in the park in comparison...
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or just fast, the winner regularly trains at high altitude so this would have been a stroll in the park in comparison...

I meant in how slow the first lap was run, tactical races are not so interesting to watch. The winner was alledgedly too ill to take part in the 800 i think but somehow came back to blast the 1500!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I meant in how slow the first lap was run, tactical races are not so interesting to watch. The winner was alledgedly too ill to take part in the 800 i think but somehow came back to blast the 1500!

He was initially thrown out of the 800 for 'not trying'. Good job they never went down the swimmming pool I guess if they were looking for some no-tryers :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she was going to say it, then she was actually in good position to say it when she did.

If she'd said it after getting within a whisker of the medal places it would have sounded even more like sour grapes.
    Agreed. Also, she really isn't an athlete who makes excuses for her performances. I honestly think she was showing her displeasure at the winner. She probably supports lifetime bans for drugs cheats and I don't blame her.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's pretty common knowledge that the sick note wasn't genuine. Doesn't mean the guy is a doper.
  • Psycho_NedPsycho_Ned Posts: 17,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As has been said we've got no idea on what drugs are out there that the testers don't know about, remember with the BALCO scandal (Marion Jones, Dwain Chambers et al) they got sent a syringe of the drug by an anonymous person else who knows if they'd have ever cottoned on to that one.

That was about 8 years ago I'd be amazed if there isn't some dodgy pharmaceutical company out there pumping something new out they don't know about by now.

Until the there is as much money spent on drug detection as there is on drug creation (I.e. never) you can't be sure they are able to test for everything.

Keeping the samples to test again during the next 8 years is a step in the right direction though as hopefully anyone doping now won't get away with it forever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smudged wrote: »
    Agreed. Also, she really isn't an athlete who makes excuses for her performances. I honestly think she was showing her displeasure at the winner. She probably supports lifetime bans for drugs cheats and I don't blame her.

What about the numerous other athletes between her and the winner? :o
  • cath99cath99 Posts: 6,826
    Forum Member
    The women's 1500mhas become one of the dirtiest events for drugs. Plenty of people caught, others returning after suspensions. It really is hard to get excited about these days.

Lisa had a very poor race but I don't think she's making an excuse for her result. Just stating the facts as she sees them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cath99 wrote: »
    The women's 1500mhas become one of the dirtiest events for drugs. Plenty of people caught, others returning after suspensions. It really is hard to get excited about these days.

Lisa had a very poor race but I don't think she's making an excuse for her result. Just stating the facts as she sees them.

Yes but until she provides cast iron proof of the drug taking, then they are not facts just supposition :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about the numerous other athletes between her and the winner? :o
    See post #24. I've already said I don't believe she was implying she would have got a medal. Not only is that plainly ridiculous but she doesn't have a history of making excuses for her performances. I believe she is unhappy about the winner and I don't blame her for that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smudged wrote: »
    See post #24. I've already said I don't believe she was implying she would have got a medal. Not only is that plainly ridiculous but she doesn't have a history of making excuses for her performances. I believe she is unhappy about the winner and I don't blame her for that.

Nor do I, but her stance would be seen as better if she for example came second rather than where she did :cry:
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,506
    Forum Member
    The dopers are always looking for new ways to beat the tests.
    So they're always going to be one step ahead of the testers.

Samples are kept for 8 years now so i hope all the 2012 medal wiinners are retested in 3 and 7 years time with the benefit of the latest procedures, cheats exposed and their results expunged.

To my mind, once a drug cheat always a likely drug cheat and their bans should be lifetime, that includes the known British drug cheats too. The IOC are nuts for not doing this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nor do I, but her stance would be seen as better if she for example came second rather than where she did :cry:
    I disagree. As someone else said it would be written off as sour grapes by most people.
  • Stone_JonesStone_Jones Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    I blame these people for her poor performance...

http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/8947974/1024/various/Lisa-1.jpg

She was much better before they came along. They're known for their drug taking.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,763
    Forum Member
    It does cast a negative cloud when drug cheats do win as it brings out the old arguements.

My only issue might be she said this after the race so some could view it as a bit of an excuse for a tactically poor run.
  • Ian AberdonIan Aberdon Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jake Humphreys started on CBBC after all :eek::eek::eek:

Most of the newer BBC news & sports presenters seem to have come from CBBC - & it shows. :rolleyes:
  • Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    Of course another angle is 3), everyone else knows how to run a tactical race and she doesn't [yet] :confused:

Yes.

Our girls seem to lurk towards the back of the pack and then wonder why they get left when the race speeds up.

Lisa always seems to hug the kerb and then she gets boxed in.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,782
    Forum Member
    I have sympathy for Lisa Dobrisky on this. I don't think it is a level playing field.

In what way?
    Forum Member
    lumiere wrote: »
    The person who won did serve a ban for doping so I can understand Lisa feeling angry about that.

What about all the other ones who beat her easily?
    Forum Member
    Shappy wrote: »
    But the rules are, once you've served your time, you can come back to the sport. It's like saying someone who has been in jail is never allowed to work again.

Not really the same. If your conviction is related to the job you do then it's highly unlikely people will employ you again.
    Forum Member

Just because someone finished quickly? I've asked this question before to all the accusers, but what was his split for the last 200m and was it highly unusual?
  • NansbreadNansbread Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit like track cycling. The playing field there is definitely not level.