Cascading DiSEqC switches / LNB Loopthrough...

kevkev Posts: 21,075
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am currently looking at setting my Raspberry Pi up in the lounge (where there are two active Sky cables) to allow me to watch the Freesat channels (News and Music mainly) on XBMC in my bedroom - just waiting for my DVB-S USB tuner to be delivered.

What I have and know should work is...

Sky Dish to Pi DVB-S Tuner

Sky Dish to DiSEqC switch (1) to Ross Satellite box. I'm not expecting this to be a problem at all.

Now on Grand Prix weekends a second dish gets thrown up in the garden giving the following setup

Sky Dish to Pi DVB-S Tuner

Sky Dish to DiSEqC switch (1) to Ross Satellite box
Astra 19.2'E Dish to DiSEqC switch (2) to same Ross Satellite Box

Now what I am wondering....

Is it possible to add a second DiSEqC switch to the Pi (connecting Sky to (1)) then connecting the loopthrough* from the Ross to (2) on the second switch?

i.e. Astra 1 -> DiSEqC switch (2) to Ross In to Ross Out to DiSEqC switch (2) to Pi.

I know this will limit me to having
1. either the Ross turned to Standby (to access all services at 19.2'E)
2. only being able to received the same sat/pol as the Ross box (to access all services on the same band/pol but only if it's tuned to Astra 1)
3. Being able to view Freesat on the Pi as normal.

i.e. does selecting "2" on the first DiSEqC switch also select it on the second one - or would a bodge like flicking to RTL 2 then RTL (i.e. forcing the Pi to select DiSEqC 2 twice) do the trick?

For something which is setup for a maximum of 36 hours a month on average it's not worth spending any extra cash on, but if I can use my existing DiSEqC switches ( I have two ) that would be nice!

* When the Ross is on and tuned to RTL 2 an old Sky box can also view RTL via the loopthrough (provided the Astra cable is attached straight to the Ross box - not tried with the DiSEqC switch).

Comments

• davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You cannot cascade standard DiSEqC switches, and unless described as otherwise they are all standard (committed) switches. To cascade switches the one nearest to the receiver needs to be a special uncommitted switch and the receivers must support the correct DiSEqC protocol for such switches and most do not.
  • macharemachare Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No! The rules for concatenating Diseqc equipment are shown here:

http://www.satlex.net/en/switching_scheme.html

As mentioned, receiver support is another issue. If the Pi is running some kind of open software it may be quite flexible.
  • kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    That webpage is nothing to do with what the OP asked.
    I imagine all diseqc in a cascade would switch the same way, output 2 in this case.

Hope so! Guess I'm going to have to give it a shot when the DVB-S tuner arrives but expect it not to work :( (I knew you couldn't cascade standard ones and expect to have 7-16 inputs from them, was wondering what they did would all the ones on the 2 side switch to 2 or does the first switch to 2 and the rest stay where they are (probably 1))

Alas of the three DSAT boxes I have only one supports DiSEqC - One is a Sky Dodgybox that doesn't get an EPG at 28.2 (but works at 19.2) and the other is a Dodgybox that works fine on 28.2 but not elsewhere)