Travelling fairs and the travellers who run them - always really dodgy and rough

2»

Comments

• BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like those fairs, the rides always look like they could break off and fling the riders to their death at any moment, adding to the fear and excitement.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the people at the fairs - they're all really friendly if you don't start out thinking you're better than them.
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what really happened was that the OP was banned from the fair for trying to get a freebie.
  • marietsmariets Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've always been like that. Scarborough Fair had some dodgy looking blokes working the rides. I remember one who spun the Waltzer cars whilst walking the undulating ramp - long hair, tattoos and a **** between his lips, keeping his balance perfectly when it was going really fast ! Loved going to the fair - will always remember the sounds ( generators / excited shrieks / tinny music , and the smells of frying onions and candyfloss mingling in the cold autumn night air :)

When I was in my teens I had quite a crush on the lad who spun the waltzers at the fair. He used to do as you described, standing on the undulating ramp, and all the girls used to swoon when he spun their car.
  • peroquilperoquil Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lea_uk wrote: »
    The one that comes here, all the rides are £1, which is a bargain. The rides this year seemed to last longer than ever before.

They did on this one. People had to wait 20 minutes sat on each ride though before they'd start the things, as the travellers stood around hoping more people would get on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mackara wrote: »
    what really happened was that the OP was banned from the fair for trying to get a freebie.

Of course. I look forward to blagging myself a free bag of candy floss every year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    where the travellers Roma?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    where the travellers Roma?

No, not from what I could gather. Maybe the palm reading woman whose caravan declared that she was the "Granddaughter of Gypsy Rosa Lee" might have been, but the rest were your typical travellers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peroquil wrote: »
    No, not from what I could gather. Maybe the palm reading woman whose caravan declared that she was the "Granddaughter of Gypsy Rosa Lee" might have been, but the rest were your typical travellers.

Just wondering as the guy wearing the shirt with Chav written on it would be his proper identity had be been Roma.
    "The term has its origins in the Romani word chavi, meaning "child".[4][5] The 2010 book Stab Proof Scarecrows surmised that "chav" was an abbreviation for "council housed and violent";[6] however, this is a backronym.[5] The derivative chavette has been used to refer to females.[7] The adjectives "chavish" and "chavtastic" have been used in relation to items designed for or suitable for use by chavs.[4]"
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a thread about this a few years ago on here.
    From what I recall.The people who run these fairs have no association at all with the' usual' traveller types.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wondering as the guy wearing the shirt with Chav written on it would be his proper identity had be been Roma.
    "The term has its origins in the Romani word chavi, meaning "child".[4][5] The 2010 book Stab Proof Scarecrows surmised that "chav" was an abbreviation for "council housed and violent";[6] however, this is a backronym.[5] The derivative chavette has been used to refer to females.[7] The adjectives "chavish" and "chavtastic" have been used in relation to items designed for or suitable for use by chavs.[4]"

It was similar to this

http://ebay.footasylum.co.uk/photos/medium/047160_2.jpg
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    It was our summer fete type event this weekend, and of course the children wanted to go on the funfair rides set up on our local park. Whilst hanging around waiting for them at each one, I was looking around and couldn't help think about just how rough and downtrodden the fairground ride operators looked. It was early evening, and most of the public had left, leaving only the travellers and their children hanging around. Missing teeth, bad skin, dreadful clothes (one lad was wearing a black top with CHAV® printed on it in white, and a kilt) drunk, spitting, swearing, trying to flirt with the horribly dressed young flabby girls who were with them near the waltzer. Then there was a fight between the tin can alley owner and a member of the public for which the PCSOs and police had to attend.

Do you still get these fairs in your home town? They're awful really. It's nice round here too.

What kind of travelling fairs have tin can alley these days :confused::confused:
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Must admit they are a scruffy lot but they've always been like that, leave 'em alone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What kind of travelling fairs have tin can alley these days :confused::confused:

The one I was at last night? You know, stall with a counter, stack of tin cans at the back, knock them all down to win a bag of candy floss type of thing.
  • ackeracker Posts: 8,809
    Forum Member
    I wa born in the wagon of a travelling show, my mummy used to dance for the money they'd throw, Papa would do whatever he could, preach a little gospel, sell a couple bottles of Doctor Good.

It's true !

Thanks for Cher ing.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    "The last night of the fair and the grease in the hair of a Speedway operator is all a tremulous heart requires".
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,639
    Forum Member
    Deleted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted.

I know you've deleted, and originally said "None that I've been to", but this is the sort of thing...

http://www.appletonsfunfairs.co.uk/billy_moore_tin_can_alley_146.jpg
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,639
    Forum Member
    I know you've deleted, and originally said "None that I've been to", but this is the sort of thing...

http://www.appletonsfunfairs.co.uk/billy_moore_tin_can_alley_146.jpg

Yeah, I realised that after I posted. I never really play the side shows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I realised that after I posted. I never really play the side shows.

No worries, thanks for explaining. :)