Plusnet?

Free as a birdFree as a bird Posts: 1,040
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am currently with BT paying roughly £29 per month including phone line, but not any calls made, and I really can't keep paying this each month.

My contracts ends on 23rd Dec this year, and I am thinking of moving to Plusnet, but have never used them before, but they seem to get better reviews than BT, also they are £10 cheaper(for phone line and broadband) than BT which is really swaying it for me.

Has anyone used Plusnet before, what are they like? Would you recommend them?

I would be going for an unlimited contract with them,.

Comments

• mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have a look in the Broadband section, there's lots about Plusnet already in there:
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=77
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Plus Net are good, but it's worth noting that they're an arms-length subsidiary of BT. Also check that your comparison of prices includes everything, line rental being the obvious. Their packages are pretty good and prices competitive, and if you're interested enough once you're with PN you can have BT Sport for six quid a month, through your Sky box.
  • dmpdmp Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, I've been with plus net for the last nine months or so, with no problems even with the unlimited download, I'm on fibre with no complaints, plus their call centre is in England.
    Dave
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~We did exactly the same thing and went from BT to plusnet, we were sick of paying BT's prices and the last straw was when they told us that we had used more than our 'unlimited' allowance (absolutely impossible seeing as we work full time and only use the internet for shopping and emails, not games or films) and then restricted our allowance for the following months AND told us that due to data protection we could not be told what we had supposedly downloaded which took us over this unlimited amount. We are much better off financially, we hvent had massive problems, OH is convinced that its quite slow but Im not and we pay £1.50 pm to keep my BT email address
  • Mystic DaveMystic Dave Posts: 1,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT bought PlusNet as its cheapo offering as distinct from all this Broadband Sport TV stuff (no, Jake Humphries, I couldn't give a monkey's about football - except to see England stuffed by Germany or Holland).

So, if you just want the basic service, it is the place BT want you to go.
    Forum Member
    BT bought PlusNet as its cheapo offering as distinct from all this Broadband Sport TV stuff (no, Jake Humphries, I couldn't give a monkey's about football - except to see England stuffed by Germany or Holland).

So, if you just want the basic service, it is the place BT want you to go.
    That's a bit harsh. Their support is very good, my FTTC connections speeds are as good as any other ISP (including BT) and their on-line support pages detailing billing, usage etc and the UK-based support centre are all very good. And oddly every few months or so either the price goes down or the speed or d/l limit (when we had such a thing) increases. Basic service? Hardly. I've got internet + phone with them and will soon have BT Sport from them for less than BT charge, and have been a happy customer for 9 years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have been with plusnet for about two years No complaints - even I can use their advice and enquiries site - didn't know they were BT (don't really care) they are helpful friendly and keep me informed via email of when my next payment is due out of my account - :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just left BT after over 10 year of broadband etc, and moved to Plusnet, 2 weeks ago, and a lot cheaper and works perfect, website to my account is easy to use, and they answer the phone within a short space of time. Yes I know they are BT, but are run as a separate company, and to prove this, and to my anger, BT tried to keep me, with a monthly discount of 2/3rd the price. i say go for Plusnet.
  • Mystic DaveMystic Dave Posts: 1,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    That's a bit harsh. Their support is very good, my FTTC connections speeds are as good as any other ISP (including BT) and their on-line support pages detailing billing, usage etc and the UK-based support centre are all very good. And oddly every few months or so either the price goes down or the speed or d/l limit (when we had such a thing) increases. Basic service? Hardly. I've got internet + phone with them and will soon have BT Sport from them for less than BT charge, and have been a happy customer for 9 years.

BT don't charge for Sport if you have BT Broadband. This is just simple marketing - it is why VW have the SEAT and SKODA marques for the cheap version of the main VWs and Audi for their luxury range. It makes the branding and market adaptability easier. I couldn't care less about most sport, so I may well change to PlusNet for my "basic" needs.
    Forum Member
    BT charge for BT Sport if you don't have BT Broadband, that's what BT sport is about - enticing punters to switch to BT with the offer of free top level sport. I'm happy paying BT £12 a month for it but now that PN are offering the same thing for half the cost it's daft not to, until my contractual obligation to PN concludes when I might switch. You don't have to have BT broadband to watch BT Sport, it's on your Sky box if you pay the money.

Beyond that, what do you expect from your bb connection? It's no different to the water pipe into your house, just a connection to a service. Truth be told I'd be hard pushed to tell the difference between BT broadband and any other broadband connection into my house. I'm not sure how you can define a service as basic, if it has good latency and is fast enough to do things like watch iPlayer in higher quality without buffering, or allow VPN into work and be as near as doesn't matter the same as being in the office. Maybe it depends on having a fleet of vans roaming the countryside with BT Openreach plastered down the side.
  • MorlockMorlock Posts: 3,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    OH is convinced that its quite slow

It possibly is slow depending on which package you have. Plusnet traffic manage all, and throttle some, connections. For example, on an 'up to 16Mb' package, some downloads are throttled to 256kb/s during the evening.