Options

WP 8.1 Preview Program?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
Forum Member
✭✭
So I registered for the developer preview program and installed the app, But I am curious. Rumour is 8.1 will land next week, will it come via an update on that app? Will it be fully functional or be full of bugs? And when the official release from Nokia arrives will I be able to update to that?

Comments

• Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    II think RTM is already out. This will be the same thing or very close to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes that's Nokias release. Its released next week to manufacturers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    II think RTM is already out. This will be the same thing or very close to it.

Cool. So it will be ok to install?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cool. So it will be ok to install?

Last time I installed GDR3 preview on my Lumia 920 there was no problem at all. There will be no specific code from Nokia/HTC/Samsung though, just MS, so some OEM functionality might not be there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last time I installed GDR3 preview on my Lumia 920 there was no problem at all. There will be no specific code from Nokia/HTC/Samsung though, just MS, so some OEM functionality might not be there.

Do u mean the Nokia apps etc wont work? And would i be able to update to the Nokia release when its out?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do u mean the Nokia apps etc wont work? And would i be able to update to the Nokia release when its out?

What I meant OEMs make extensions of the OS, Nokia has their own drivers and settings etc. So if they are going to bring something new in the driver that OS may use, it won't be possible now. Although who knows, now with a tighter collaboration between MS and Nokia they may have the new drivers already as well. But their apps should work, the phone should work.
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My advice is to do what I intend to do. Let others install it first and follow their experiences on XDA or WPC forums for your device. Then if all is well go for it.

My phone needs this update to work as the lack of functionality in WP is bugging me and I am itching to get back to Android. Hopefully 8.1 will give it a new lease of life.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    So I registered for the developer preview program and installed the app, But I am curious. Rumour is 8.1 will land next week, will it come via an update on that app? Will it be fully functional or be full of bugs? And when the official release from Nokia arrives will I be able to update to that?

I would expect it to be fully functional AND be full of bugs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    I would expect it to be fully functional AND be full of bugs.

It won't be full of bugs. Update 3 wasn't from the reports I have read.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »

Just trying to be funny, I guess. I had zero problems with GDR3 preview on my Lumia 920. It was practically the same version as the one for manufacturers, it wasn't something quick and half-baked.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just trying to be funny, I guess. I had zero problems with GDR3 preview on my Lumia 920. It was practically the same version as the one for manufacturers, it wasn't something quick and half-baked.

oh ok.

I signed up last night so just waiting for the update. I must say the notification center looks good. Did your 920 update to Lumia Black ok when that was released? I am interested in how the official firmware is handled when you have the preview already installed.
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have 920 and got GDR3 early courtesy of dev preview too.

The phone just updates normally to the new firmware (and sometimes newer version of OS build too) and is on the normal build at that point, no difference.

I think the one thing with dev preview is that if update bricks your phone, they're not obliged to fix it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    I have 920 and got GDR3 early courtesy of dev preview too.

The phone just updates normally to the new firmware (and sometimes newer version of OS build too) and is on the normal build at that point, no difference.

I think the one thing with dev preview is that if update bricks your phone, they're not obliged to fix it.

Cheers for that. I will definitely go for it then. It is win win for me. If the preview works (and it should) I get my Ativ running a much more mature version of WP. If it bricks I get to buy a new phone which is even better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh ok.

I signed up last night so just waiting for the update. I must say the notification center looks good. Did your 920 update to Lumia Black ok when that was released? I am interested in how the official firmware is handled when you have the preview already installed.

Yes, no problems, it went pretty quick IIRC, too. Probably just some Nokia specific stuff.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member

the point i was making really was that full of bugs and fully functional are not mutually exclusive terms.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    the point i was making really was that full of bugs and fully functional are not mutually exclusive terms.

That is indeed true. Of course some products get released that are full of bugs and missing functions. I'm sure we could all think of some of them.
  • Options
    simmersimmer Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The update is available now for developers.

go to settings > phone update > check for update

if you have signed up for the developer preview you should get the update.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I get home I will try it. I got another minor update courtesy of this program on top of the retail Update 3. No idea what it was as every thing seemed the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm downloading something bigger now. First was something small, probably to enable the WP8.1. I am looking forward to this :-)
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I had two updates, the second one is WP8.1.

As with getting GDR3 early, it did mess up the look of the cobalt colour (made it more purple). The nokia firmware update should fix it again like last time. Haven't really tried out cortana yet, liking the presence of notification centre, auto-update of apps and the swype-style keyboard. (It is weird but it does work great if you trust it).
  • Options
    simmersimmer Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first small update you receive from the program are just bug fixes for GDR3. The second prepares your phone for the 8.1 update and the 3rd update is 8.1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It uses smaller font now, it looks more compact. I did not find Cortana, where is it/she?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On update 2 at the moment, I think Cortana is US only is it not?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah fantastic, got the first 2 updates fine but when it comes to the main one I get an error we currently unable to check for updates. (80072ee2)