Options

56 Up

puddytatpuddytat Posts: 6,351
Forum Member
That was a shock- Lynne died, how sad, what a lovely, grounded person she sounded

Comments

• Options
    frootysaladfrootysalad Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really sad to see that come up, she seemed like a lovely person :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes, quite a shock. I find this programme fascinating and have watched them all.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was shocked and saddened about that too. I really liked her.

I missed the beginning ..... Did they say what happened to the third of the 3 little public school boys who wasn't mentioned tonight.
  • Options
    shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I was shocked and saddened about that too. I really liked her.

I missed the beginning ..... Did they say what happened to the third of the 3 little public school boys who wasn't mentioned tonight.

They didn't say. He did the first three to the age of 21 then stopped. He's now a documentary maker in his own right.

www.imdb.com/name/nm1134526/?ref_=rvi_nm

Link won't copy properly. Search Charles Furneaux on imdb
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love these programmes and for some reason I find them very touching. Perhaps it's because I'm about the same age as the subjects and see myself in them, I don't know, but I always end up a little choked.
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched 56up the first time it was shown, 2 years ago. However, I don't remember that Lynne died. Was that actually in the programme or was it added since it was first shown? Also was Lynne one of the three little girls shown in the begining as I am not sure which one she was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't realise it was a repeat. I missed bits of it. Was there any mention of the gorgeous little boy from Liverpool (sorry dont know his name) who in later years sadly had lots of issues and was living in a caravan etc at one point?
  • Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    puddytat wrote: »
    That was a shock- Lynne died, how sad, what a lovely, grounded person she sounded

I did not know that she had died. She did not look in great health when they made the last series, but it is still a sad shock, since she is someone around my age.

http://www.stsavioursschool.org.uk/library-opened-in-memory-of-lynn-johnson/#more-957

It seems the makers of 63up filmed a tribute to her at a school where she was a governor for 25 years.
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    PERILLA wrote: »
    I didn't realise it was a repeat. I missed bits of it. Was there any mention of the gorgeous little boy from Liverpool (sorry dont know his name) who in later years sadly had lots of issues and was living in a caravan etc at one point?

Neil Hughes 'I want to be an astronaut'. I think he's the one that touches most people's hearts. There's some great info on Wiki about him. He did go through some rough times but later on Bruce (the lovely little boy in the boarding school) helped Neil out and got him back on his feet again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I watched 56up the first time it was shown, 2 years ago. However, I don't remember that Lynne died. Was that actually in the programme or was it added since it was first shown? Also was Lynne one of the three little girls shown in the begining as I am not sure which one she was.

It was a caption added at the end of her section - added for the repeat. She was the girl in the middle who said she wanted to work in Woolworths and became a librarian.
  • Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PERILLA wrote: »

Neil was helped on his recovery by Bruce (the posh Maths teacher). In 2010 he stood for the LibDems at the general election for the seat of Carlisle. He came third.
  • Options
    firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Neil have a bit of a falling out with Bruce though after they were mates, the friendship seemed to kinda drop off the show.

I'm only 23 but watched the whole thing on youtube a while back. Love the show and Lynne seemed like such a nice woman, so sad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shanders wrote: »
    It was a caption added at the end of her section - added for the repeat. She was the girl in the middle who said she wanted to work in Woolworths and became a librarian.

Thank-you for this information. How sad to learn that Lynn has died. Does anyone know what she died from?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil Hughes 'I want to be an astronaut'. I think he's the one that touches most people's hearts. There's some great info on Wiki about him. He did go through some rough times but later on Bruce (the lovely little boy in the boarding school) helped Neil out and got him back on his feet again.

Thank you so much for this. Yes, Neil is the one I was thinking of and I did find it very touching watching his story unfold. Bruce comes across as a thoroughly nice, decent man.
  • Options
    zaphodzaphod Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Another one who has been following the story since 7up.

This week's showing of 56up is a repeat from a couple or so years ago, and between then and now, Lynn passed on.

Of them all, it is John, Suzy, Sue, Paul, undoubtedly Symon, Nick and Bruce who have impressed me the most. IMHO, they have turned out to come across as very amiable and well grounded as adults. Others appear to have failed.
  • Options
    DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shanders wrote: »

She's quite memorable to me as she had long hair with a centre parting for many years.
  • Options
    SemillionSemillion Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank-you for this information. How sad to learn that Lynn has died. Does anyone know what she died from?

In 49 UP Lynne revealed that she had been suffering severe headaches and was diagnosed with AVM...Arteriovenous Malformation. It's a condition where a bunch of blood vessels get all tangled up in a knot and when they burst you have an aneurysm. My dad died from one, he had had it all his life until it burst in his 70's. You can go your whole life and it wont rupture but most often it will. Lynne said in that series that it posed a danger to her life. Some can be operated on depending where in the brain they lie, maybe hers could not be treated. I would guess pretty strongly that is what she died from.

Very, very sad that the first of the children have died. Lynne was the one of the three girls who went to grammar school while the other two went to comprehensives...I recall them in 14 UP talking about their respective schools and Lynne said 'grammar schools great!'. I missed Tuesday night's episode and I'd been looking forward to seeing it....so sad to learn that Lynne has gone :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought I'd watch Tuesday night's final instalment and the ITV iplayer wants me to pay for it....when did this start?

Only some brief tasters available on Youtube.

Very annoyed >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semillion wrote: »
    In 49 UP Lynne revealed that she had been suffering severe headaches and was diagnosed with AVM...Arteriovenous Malformation. It's a condition where a bunch of blood vessels get all tangled up in a knot and when they burst you have an aneurysm. My dad died from one, he had had it all his life until it burst in his 70's. You can go your whole life and it wont rupture but most often it will. Lynne said in that series that it posed a danger to her life. Some can be operated on depending where in the brain they lie, maybe hers could not be treated. I would guess pretty strongly that is what she died from.

Very, very sad that the first of the children have died. Lynne was the one of the three girls who went to grammar school while the other two went to comprehensives...I recall them in 14 UP talking about their respective schools and Lynne said 'grammar schools great!'. I missed Tuesday night's episode and I'd been looking forward to seeing it....so sad to learn that Lynne has gone :(

Thanks for this. Like you say, it is so sad to hear that Lynne has died.

I have known two people who have died from this condition. One just before his 60th birthday and another one just before her 40th birthday. I also have a good friend who had it and was operated on sucessfully.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for this. Like you say, it is so sad to hear that Lynne has died.

I have known two people who have died from this condition. One just before his 60th birthday and another one just before her 40th birthday. I also have a good friend who had it and was operated on sucessfully.

Yes, they seem remarkably common. Back in the 90's I lived next door to a lady, the wife of a Baptist minister, who had a family of six children and was pregnant with her seventh. I was talking to her over the back fence one morning and she was telling me how she only had three days to go till the baby and how she was looking forward to it. That evening I saw an ambulance outside her door as I came home from shopping and was shocked to learn she had collapsed and died in the kitchen while preparing tea. The baby girl was delivered by c-section and survived. It was so sudden and so unexpected, she'd been the picture of health.

Lynn came across as a very strong woman, she seemed to accept the condition and that it was life threatening but how sad - only 56.
  • Options
    TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zaphod wrote: »

This week's showing of 56up is a repeat from a couple or so years ago, and between then and now, Lynn passed on.

Of them all, it is John, Suzy, Sue, Paul, undoubtedly Symon, Nick and Bruce who have impressed me the most. IMHO, they have turned out to come across as very amiable and well grounded as adults. Others appear to have failed.

Are you sure this is a repeat, I've watched all the others and this seemed new
  • Options
    pete_dalepete_dale Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    Watchable due to the odd characters
    Type 2 diabetes candidate maths teacher
    Completely out of reality Lawyer guy who is so odd, I struggle to think who walks around dressed like toff nowadays. I imagine he would be eaten alive in anything but law.
    Super stiff company lawyer and super stiff wife, seems like they are stuck in a 70's timewarp.

The down to earth people were far more likeable.
    Taxi guy, seems to have landed on feet and had a tough time with those kids who seem unable to fend for themselves.
    Lovely lady who sadly passed away

Fair play to them all for being on TV though, it cant be easy
  • Options
    alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    Andy2 wrote: »
    I love these programmes and for some reason I find them very touching. Perhaps it's because I'm about the same age as the subjects and see myself in them, I don't know, but I always end up a little choked.

As I am now 58 years old the same is true for me - I can see a lot of me in them as their thinking and life situation 'matures' - altho I am not a grandparent yet as my 3 children all still at home - aged 21, 27 and 29 - we are obviously too nice to them :)
    zaphod wrote: »

I think the word 'failed' is a bit harsh - to me all of them have turned out OK. Doing the programme cannot be easy with your life exposed to public scrutiny as theirs is. I bet you have to be very careful what you say and to a degree how much you reveal, after all they did not choose to be in it.

Peter is prob the one I most identify with as he seems from a 'normal' background - if anything I'd say the choice of participants was too extreme with not enough normal kids. He was from Merseyside (like me) - altho I am from Wirral, he was from Liverpool, he became a teacher - like me - altho he gave up - I did it for 35 years till my retirement last summer, he is a massive LFC fan - like me - I remember 28 up when he was asked by Apted for the highlight of his life and saying 'Tommy Smith Rome 1977, it does not get any better than that' - I can identify with that and he was a bit left wing - like me - talking about his views on Thatcher, education funding ...etc in 28 Up.

After 28 Up was broadcast tho Peter came in for stick in the media from the likes of the Daily Mail ('Would you let this man teach your children?' ...etc ) so he maybe thought I do not need this and dropped out tho he did appear again in 56 up - he seemed a bit more chilled in his old age!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tellystar wrote: »
    Are you sure this is a repeat, I've watched all the others and this seemed new

Yes. This was from 2012.
    First filmed 1964, then 1970, 1977, 1984, 1991, 1998, 2005, 2012.
  • Options
    zaphodzaphod Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Failed was probably clumsy of me. Happy, content and fulfilled would be nearer the mark.

Apologies!