Jack Russell just been diagnosed with Acquired Portosystemic shunt

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 634
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi,

Yesterday at half 2 in the morning my 12 year old Jack Russell, Marni, started having a seizure, he had a further 2 before we could get him to the vets. They did tests and blood work etc and have diagnosed him with acquired Portosystemic shunt (they think most likely acquired rather than born with it due to his age). They've advised an MRI and from there the decision to try either surgery or a medicated route.

Basically I was wondering if anyone had had a dog with this or any knowledge or experience on it that could be useful. Especially in an older dog,

Thank you

Comments

• mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My border collie has liver disease and this Yahoo group for dogs with liver problems, including shunts has been very supportive and is a mine of information
    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/canineliver-d/info
    Good luck and even if you get a poor prognosis from the vet don't despair.
    My dog is supposed to be dead by now but last time I looked she was chasing her squeaky ball round the garden. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm bumping this as nearly a month on the OP has not replied or given an update.
  • North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm bumping this as nearly a month on the OP has not replied or given an update.

The OP has not posted anything since that post on that day. Strange.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I noticed that. Maybe something is wrong.