Space bar on laptop driving me mad

tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
Forum Member
✭✭✭
For a while the space bar on this laptop had been sticking so I would frequently type something and keep having to go back to put the space between the words. Im a very fast touch typist so you expect each key to have worked and then you have to go back when you find it hasnt.

Frustrated I have tried to get the space bar off which I did successfully.

However I have now put it back on and its completely stiff, not springy like the other keys. Now although the thing is working and I can whizz along typing as usual. I must say that the stiffness of the key is now hurting my thumb and because my hands dont feel it springing down like the other keys it makes my hands think the space bar hasnt work even though my eyes can see the text that it has worked.

It is driving me mad, it was a nightmare to get back on anyway and I dont know what Ive done to it.

Comments

• RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obviously it depends on the laptop but twice previously I have bought and fitted replacement keys pads for laptops (mine was because my daughter liked to rip random keys off and break the fittings underneath them).

They were available from a wide range of sites, relatively cheap and incredibly easy to fit, a few screws and a single pin connector.
  • yorkieUKyorkieUK Posts: 2,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The space bar on a keyboard acts a little differently than the other keys. When you take it off there is usually a long spring inside the key itself. It has to be placed back into the laptop in a particular way and not just snapped back on like the other keys. I made the same mistake when I removed my space bar key and put it back wrongly. I did not engage the long spring properly.

There is a few images here that might hopefully give you some clues/help:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=replacing+space+bar+key&sa=N&biw=1120&bih=537&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=ygMKVJbuDo7eatb5gdgI&ved=0CEcQsAQ4Cg

There are very likely a few videos on Youtube too!

Good luck!
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkieUK wrote: »
    The space bar on a keyboard acts a little differently than the other keys. When you take it off there is usually a long spring inside the key itself. It has to be placed back into the laptop in a particular way and not just snapped back on like the other keys. I made the same mistake when I removed my space bar key and put it back wrongly. I did not engage the long spring properly.

There is a few images here that might hopefully give you some clues/help:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=replacing+space+bar+key&sa=N&biw=1120&bih=537&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=ygMKVJbuDo7eatb5gdgI&ved=0CEcQsAQ4Cg

There are very likely a few videos on Youtube too!

Good luck!

I will have a look at that, I saw the long spring and worked out that it has to be under the 2 plasticky bits but as you push the key cover down, the spring goes out of position anyway.

Its actually making me type badly, the wrong keys etc.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Replacing laptop keyboards can be very easy. I've replaced the keyboard on my Acer 5732Z twice now (the right shift key keeps failing). It takes about five minutes and doesn't even need a screwdriver.