Nexus 10

Herts IronHerts Iron Posts: 76
Forum Member
Now that this is back in stock, I'm tempted to get one. For those that have one, or those that know what thwti talking about, what is the general consensus?

I haven't yet had a tablet, so I've nothing to compare it to.

Comments

• whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have one and i love it. Its turned into my TV/sofa computer. Its on the open Android OS, gets updates immediately from Google, if that bothers you, doesn't have another manufacturers skin over it.

Depending on whether you've settled on an OS, you might consider an ipad for iOS, though i would never touch that again because its too restricted.

If you want Android then i would also consider the samsung tab range. They are a little cheaper and have an decent pen.
  • flynnflynn Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got one, and it's a cracking tablet. The screen is stunning (I never really bought into the hype about very high PPI screens but I'm definitely converted). Battery life is great, it's very slick to use, the speakers are exceptional (by tablet standards) - I love it!

My only real criticism is that it doesn't have an SD/microSD slot, but for a fiver (USB OTG cable plus app) that is easily fixed, though that is a read only solution.

Wholeheartedly recommended here.
  • Herts IronHerts Iron Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Thanks all.

I have an HTC One S, so I'm guessing I will be familiar with the OS.

The flip side of that, is it just like using a big 'phone? What are the advantages of using a tablet? Advantages you dont get from a smart phone?

One thing that is a bit disappointing is the current lack of (legit) accessories for it. But I guess (or hope?) that this will improve in time. Bit rubbish that Sky Go isnt yet available, but thats the be all and end all.

I did go through a perios where I wanted an iPad, but I like the fact that you dont seem to be as tied in with an Android device. With Apple, it seems everything has to go through iTunes? Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Herts Iron wrote: »
    Thanks all.

I have an HTC One S, so I'm guessing I will be familiar with the OS.

The flip side of that, is it just like using a big 'phone? What are the advantages of using a tablet? Advantages you dont get from a smart phone?

One thing that is a bit disappointing is the current lack of (legit) accessories for it. But I guess (or hope?) that this will improve in time. Bit rubbish that Sky Go isnt yet available, but thats the be all and end all.

I did go through a perios where I wanted an iPad, but I like the fact that you dont seem to be as tied in with an Android device. With Apple, it seems everything has to go through iTunes? Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

It depends on what you mean by "go through iTunes".

I have an ipad mini and almost never use itunes. I store all my music and movies on a NAS drive and copy it over to the ipad as and when needed.

However, itunes is good for helping to organise music on a device and I have in the past used it to put music on my ipad.
  • Herts IronHerts Iron Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    I just assumed that all music playing, purchasing is done through iTunes? Same with films? Because it doesn't have any usb ports et al, and the Nexus does, I thought it made it easier?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Herts Iron wrote: »
    I just assumed that all music playing, purchasing is done through iTunes? Same with films? Because it doesn't have any usb ports et al, and the Nexus does, I thought it made it easier?

It will depend on what other kit you have. I tend to buy DVD and CDs because I like owning the actual disks. I then rip them onto my Network drive. Once they are on there I can access them from my iPad mini.

I have purchased some music from iTunes but that is using the app which is very different from the PCM software people moan about.

I do not think it is any more difficult to get stuff on to the iPad than it is my galaxy ace 2 phone.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    It will depend on what other kit you have. I tend to buy DVD and CDs because I like owning the actual disks. I then rip them onto my Network drive. Once they are on there I can access them from my iPad mini.

I have purchased some music from iTunes but that is using the app which is very different from the PCM software people moan about.

I do not think it is any more difficult to get stuff on to the iPad than it is my galaxy ace 2 phone.

How would you recommend someone did it if they only had a bog standard PC on the same home network as their iPad?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How would you recommend someone did it if they only had a bog standard PC on the same home network as their iPad?

Set one of the pc folders as a shared folder. I think it takes about 5 seconds:)
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When is this getting updated?
  • flynnflynn Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When is this getting updated?

The Nexus 10? Given that it's only been out a few months, I'd imagine it'll be a while yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    flynn wrote: »
    The Nexus 10? Given that it's only been out a few months, I'd imagine it'll be a while yet.

Just waiting for keylimepie , shouldn't be long now ...