Does anybody else think Sir Alan fires is a bad judge of character?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 351
Forum Member
He always seems to fire the people just because they are a little quiet and does not even give them much of a chance and keeps the idiots.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,113
    Forum Member
    The quiet ones are perceived to not contribute much to the task (and to be fair, I don't think Maj did, nor did he contribute anything good to the previous 2 tasks - the Olympic theme was rubbish), and if you're not contributing to the task, then you don't deserve to stay really. Mind you, some of the loud ones didn't do much in the last task either (James in particular).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So far I've agreed with all the firings. Last year I only agreed with a couple!
  • LaurieMarlowLaurieMarlow Posts: 5,003
    Forum Member
    He always seems to fire the people just because they are a little quiet and does not even give them much of a chance and keeps the idiots.

The Apprentice is first and foremost a TV programme. The idiots make much better TV than the quiet ones.

Mind you, Maj provided a lot of humour, so it's sad to see him go, but the other two are more valuable. Ben's an arrogant little so and so and James is a train wreck in the boardroom.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a bad judge of character, just another victim of Reality TV.

I'm convinced production dictate to Sir Alan who he should keep for 'entertainment value.'

He wouldn't have thought twice about firing James had this been Series 1 when the show had a very different feel to it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    So far this serris ive agreed with the firing 2 out of 3 the only one i didnt was Rocky. I cant remeber about last years though
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kwscott wrote: »
    So far this serris ive agreed with the firing 2 out of 3 the only one i didnt was Rocky. I cant remeber about last years though

Funnily enough, Rocky's was the only one I have agreed with so far.
  • footygirlfootygirl Posts: 35,209
    Forum Member
    I didn't agree with Anita being fired- he should have fired Debra
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've agreed with them all so far...this time last year I hadn't agreed with any (bar the guy fired in Week 3).
  • Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kwscott wrote: »

Ditto - there's no way Rocky should have been fired although I'm happpy with the other 2.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sid_1979 wrote: »
    Funnily enough, Rocky's was the only one I have agreed with so far.

I'm with you. For all James' boardroom rantings, it would be hard to deny that everything that went wrong in that task was either down to Rocky or was agreed to by him.

Anita's firing wasn't a travesty; she did poorly, but I'd have fired Mona. And this week I think either Ben or James should have gone.
  • gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    When you look at the actual Apprentices Sir alan has hired, he hasnt done a good job at all.

He missed the best one by far, Ruth Badger who has her own company & TV show and has helped that other floozy by giving her new career a boost.

Where are his Apprentice winners, in a back room somewhere being a minion.
  • rowanjelirowanjeli Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    gilliedew wrote: »
    When you look at the actual Apprentices Sir alan has hired, he hasnt done a good job at all.

He missed the best one by far, Ruth Badger who has her own company & TV show and has helped that other floozy by giving her new career a boost.

Where are his Apprentice winners, in a back room somewhere being a minion.
    Which is just as well. She would be a terrible employee.
    I wouldn't work for her either though.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He has a few known biases. He prefers people he sees as being like himself, and he doesn't like academics who can't put it into practice in the real world.

It's also worth remembering he doesn't see the footage we see. I don't think he'd have let Jenny C off in the laundry task last year, for example, or let Jo stay in the list task in s2, if he had seen quite how bad they were. He gets reports from Nick and Margaret, but often the teams split in half and N&M can't be everywhere, so he must rely on reports the production crew too.

Given that, for me most of his decisions are at least justifiable. I'd have been tempted to fire Mona in ep1, and James in ep3, but Anita was tied to both reasons the team failed, and I won't miss Majid at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    footygirl wrote: »
    I didn't agree with Anita being fired- he should have fired Debra

Debra has drive, determination, independance and good business skills. Anita contributed nothing and made simple mistakes. I think Anita was the right persont to fire :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    You have to remember he doesn't want someone who'll sit there and say "Yes, Sir Alan, whatever you say Sir Alan". He needs someone loud so they have their own ideas and aren't scared to put them forward. Did you see any of that from Anita?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chubbler wrote: »
    Debra has drive, determination, independance and good business skills. Anita contributed nothing and made simple mistakes. I think Anita was the right persont to fire :)

What were the simple mistakes Anita made?

And from what I saw, she was washing cars like the rest of them, so why was her contribution deemed any less worthy?

Personally, I'd have fired Mona. The way she spoke to those clients when negotiating was appalling.
  • LaurieMarlowLaurieMarlow Posts: 5,003
    Forum Member

And from what I saw, she was washing cars like the rest of them, so why was her contribution deemed any less worthy?

Personally, I'd have fired Mona. The way she spoke to those clients when negotiating was appalling.

I'd say Anita made two mistakes.

Firstly, she was the one who announced so cheerfully that they had 'come in under budget' with their cleaning materials. I know that she was just trying to say something positive and she wasn't solely in charge of a budget or anything, but basically they lost because they spent too much and her name became associated with having spent too much.

Secondly, she was the most rubbish at cleaning cars. As Debra pointed out, she didn't get any business by herself. so she didn't bring in any profit either.

There were good reasons for firing Mona rather than Anita, definitely, but I don't think we've lost any great business prospect in Anita. Mona did a much better job at fighting her corner in the boardroom.
  • fluffybunyipfluffybunyip Posts: 4,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought he should've fired Mona too, for the same reasons plus her purposely being divisive both in the cafe and in the boardroom with the "puppets" comment.

I thought he should've fired Ben this week - big, useless, arrogant lump.

And I'm still smarting about Raef being fired last year :(
  • longterm67longterm67 Posts: 701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alan Sugar has the same weakness most of us have...he likes people that are like himself....so anyone dogged, argumentative and self serving will normally do well.
    He seems to also prefer someone rough around the edges as opposed to a rounded business person.