Options

Freeview DVD Recorder

Although my Grandma isn't due to change to digital untill 2011 she would like to get something soon so she can get used to it.

I have seen a Panosonic dvd recorder with video and freeview and I was wondering if this means she can record the freeview to dvd and video or just to the dvd?

Thanks, Nic

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Presume the model is the Panasonic DMRES45V?

Just had a quick look through the manual, looks like there is no restriction for recording on to tape. Looks like you select 'Drive' (VCR/DVD) then 01,02 for the analogue channels, 001,002 for digital. There should be an EPG to record from somewhere, didn't look that far though.

Manual below if you want to double check.

http://techdocs.panasonic.co.uk/docs/1z46587dc7z3z22191z656ez706466z22z5e7417e87968007674287aa997e1b950cf621888/tsn2/data/ALL/DMRES45V/OI/753081/rqtv0141-2.pdf
  • Options
    skinjskinj Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The E45 is last years model but has the advantage over the new one (DMREZ47) in that it also has an alanouge tuner built in too. If your Nan is in a poor or intemittant signal area at the moment it would be handy to allow her to record analouge on the bad signal days. The new E47 also does not have the SD card slot, But does upscale to 1080p if you think it's worth doing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ideally she'd just like a video freeview recorder and I only know of one ( a daewoo) and I can't find anywhere that sells it.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,518
    Forum Member
    nicemms wrote: »
    Ideally she'd just like a video freeview recorder and I only know of one ( a daewoo) and I can't find anywhere that sells it.

Are you sure she wouldn't be better off with a PVR?, easier to use, better picture, and no hunting for tapes or blank discs. You only need a VCR or DVD recorder if you want to either archive recordings, or give them to someone else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats one option but she has two tvs that she watches recordings on.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    She could feed the output from a PVR to either or both TVs - there are several options on how to do this.
  • Options
    Forum Member

So what difference does a VCR make over a PVR? - both do that identically.
  • Options
    broadzbroadz Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what difference does a VCR make over a PVR? - both do that identically.

Yes, but I understand nicemms' point. With video, you eject the tape from the VCR, take it with you to the other TV and video recorder (which could be at the other side of the house), put the tape in, press play, sit down and watch what you have recorded. With a PVR, as gomezz says there are several ways of connecting one PVR to two televisions, but the top and bottom of it is - all through one PVR. Which is not in the same room as the old person who wants to watch what she has just taped. Many elderly people won't even use remote controls - how is she going to activate a PVR which is in another room at the other side of the house without using a remote?

Keep it simple. The tape contains the programme that has been recorded, there are two machines that can both play said tape, each machine is connected to the TV that the tape is to be watched on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    broadz wrote: »
    Keep it simple. The tape contains the programme that has been recorded, there are two machines that can both play said tape, each machine is connected to the TV that the tape is to be watched on.

Right, I get the point now - we've moved to TWO videos! :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The device she would ideally love - a video recorder with freeview probably doesn't exist any more.

I know one did exist but does anywhere sell them now?