TV And DVD Recorder Problems

Afternoon,

I have just bought a 32" philips HD ready TV it has freeview built into it.
The problem Im having is that I have a DVD Hard Drive Recorder but I can't seem to get the DVD to record onto the HDD off the telly. I can do it with the anoluge channels but not with the digital one's

As anyone any idea's on how to get this to work? I can see all the AV options but the digital service just has an option called Digital TV on the TV menu and doesent come up as though it's in AV1 or I would be able to select that on my DVD recorder

Please help!!!

Thanks in advance

Paul Wike

Comments

• John CurrieJohn Currie Posts: 2,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the TV model no?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    its a Philips

Model No: 32PFL5522D

Cheers

Paul
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,890
    Forum Member
    I presume you've got the recorder connected to the second SCART socket (i.e. AV2 or EXT2) and not the first one since typically this is the one that gives an output with the first SCART socket being primarily a higher quality input only socket?

I also presume that the recorder is able to record the analogue channels independantly from the TV by using its own onboard tuner, rather than using the TVs tuner? If so then it may be a pain in the neck to use the TV as a source to record digital TV from; a cheap set-top box would at least allow you to watch one digital channel whilst recording another.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wikey22 wrote: »
    Model No: 32PFL5522D

I just downloaded and read the user manual.
    Page 25 tells you of the recording function...and in big letters next to it...NOT APPLICABLE TO THIS MODEL.
    Actually you're better off just buying a cheap Freeview box connecting that to the input of your DVDR and recording from that instead.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually you're better off just buying a cheap Freeview box connecting that to the input of your DVDR and recording from that instead.
    Is the right answer, not only is it simpler it will also let you watch one channel whilst recording another, record in RGB, record with the TV off and is usually easier for timer recordings as well.

I don't understand why anyone tries to record off the TV itself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »

Usually because they have just noticed a programme they'd like to see is on one of the digital channels and is shown when they're out...or sleeping etc...the usual...and they don't have a Freeview box to record from.
  • broadzbroadz Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »

Because they've just spent money on a TV with a digital tuner in it - why spend more on another box, with another digital tuner in it, for those one in a million times when the TV is not switched on, or it is switched on but there are two things on Freeview at the same time that you want to watch? The chances of finding one Freeview channel worth watching is remote - the chances of finding two Freeview transmissions worth watching at the same time, so that one needs to be recorded using an STB, is almost non-existent. I don't understand these forum members who say to anybody who's bought a TV with a digital tuner built-in "Ooh, that's crap, go out and buy another one in a separate box to take up more space under your telly as well."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    broadz wrote: »
    The chances of finding one Freeview channel worth watching is remote - the chances of finding two Freeview transmissions worth watching at the same time, so that one needs to be recorded using an STB, is almost non-existent.

I could envisage someone wanting to watch say BBC1 in digital quality and record E4/More4 etc quite easily.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    broadz wrote: »
    Because they've just spent money on a TV with a digital tuner in it - why spend more on another box, with another digital tuner in it, for those one in a million times when the TV is not switched on, or it is switched on but there are two things on Freeview at the same time that you want to watch? The chances of finding one Freeview channel worth watching is remote - the chances of finding two Freeview transmissions worth watching at the same time, so that one needs to be recorded using an STB, is almost non-existent. I don't understand these forum members who say to anybody who's bought a TV with a digital tuner built-in "Ooh, that's crap, go out and buy another one in a separate box to take up more space under your telly as well."
    Well for £30 extra I'd rather have something that works well with all the advantages I listed above, recording off the TV is a real pain (and lower quality). The cost of the TV and DVD recorder make the £30 insignificant.