Options

Danny Alexander accidentally deliberately leaks CSR Public Service cuts

SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/oct/19/spending-review-document-job-cuts#

And the 'official' headline is that they estimate 490,000 people will be made redundant from the public sector by 2014.

Comments

• Options
    IndoIndo Posts: 1,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is this not news?
  • Options
    SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There does seem to be something of a media blackout other than the Guardian. Maybe they just don't care since it's coming out tomorrow anyway?

Strange though, normally they jumped all over this kind of thing.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Isn't this the figure announced in the June budget/predicted by the OBR?

They cannot know the exact number - a lot of the job losses will be in local government and it will be up to local councils to decide on how many redundancies they need (some could just cut salaries to save jobs).
  • Options
    TimCypherTimCypher Posts: 9,052
    Forum Member
    The 490,000 figure from the OBR was touted at the time of the budget...so it's nothing new.

And it's not 490,000 redundancies - that number includes advertised jobs that are to be pulled, planned additional jobs under Labour that are to be scrapped, and existing jobs that won't be refilled should someone retire/leave.

Regards,

Cypher
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ministers never learn. He should be removed, not only because of this, he looks like an idiot.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    He should certainly get demoted or something. He can't be that competent if he doesn't even have the sense to put important papers like that in a folder or briefcase.
  • Options
    Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'm pubic service and I think my department will be one of the ones that go.
    I wish I was on the type of salary that some people think us civil servants are on.
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    He should certainly get demoted or something. He can't be that competent if he doesn't even have the sense to put important papers like that in a folder or briefcase.

Does that apply to Cameron also ;):D
    The Prime Minister, no less, is the latest dignatory to be caught by photographers carrying a readable document outside Number 10.

http://blogs.news.sky.com/boultonandco/Post:5286e082-aade-4996-ae88-cf8fae6b08d5
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,863
    Forum Member
    Well he couldn't hep it! :D

Press don't even let Minsiters read papers in their lap without zapping whats being read on a lap?!

I once read a autobiography of a former high profile MP who was persecuted by the press and this MP said he/she was threatened with the use of scanners to hear what was going on in his/her place!!!!!

Is this what the press do anyway? That should be illegal! Surely its the listning equivellent to voyeurism?
  • Options
    clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    Spacedone wrote: »
    There does seem to be something of a media blackout other than the Guardian. Maybe they just don't care since it's coming out tomorrow anyway?

Strange though, normally they jumped all over this kind of thing.

Was covered today by the Mail too http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1321842/SPENDING-REVIEW-500-000-public-sector-jobs-Danny-Alexander-lets-cat-bag.html
    Just for the RW view.
  • Options
    Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danny Alexander.... hmmm....

Come back David Laws, all is forgiven.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never mind that - Beaker - lol

Made me laugh..... Ken Clark must be the muppet chef
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I refer you to Yes Minister/yes Prime Minister.

Leaks are rarely accidental.

Sometimes they provoke an 'enquiry' which never produces a conclusion.

It's a way of spreading out bad news.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indo wrote: »
    Why is this not news?

It was on the news I watched.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »

Perhaps he would should have been wise enough to cover the papers while the cameras were flashing but I think it's different to what Caroline Flint and that police commander did walking up Downing St with secret paper on view and reading such papers on the back seat of a car. Ministers should be able to work from their official car. Isn't that an invasion of privacy? It's not that far from the press taking photos of meetings through office windows.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it hard to believe that it was an accidental leak, that he just happened to be reading the page with the overall number of jobs to be lost at exactly the point that he passed the photographers. IMO it is the just the latest and most clumsy intentional leak designed to drip feed the bad news. No doubt people will tell me that Labour took the art of spin and use of the media to new heights but personally I find this Government's obvious and cyncial use of the media to manipulate public opinion and to announce policy to be disgraceful.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    It was on the news I watched.

And one of the main stories on PM on Radio 4 yesterday. Hardly a blackout. It is however not exactly surprising, so I imagine that's why it's not a bigger story.