Remember that 'protected' Sure Start funding?...

SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It looks like another broken promise by the Coalition.

http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/

£300m a year lost from early intervention funding. Sure Start currently makes up £1.1billion out of £2.5billion budget but the budget falls to £2.2billion from April 2011.

Ringfencing has been removed so there is absolutely no reason whatsoever for Councils to protect Sure Start in cash term whatever Osborne claimed, especially when this would mean that all other services for babies and toddlers would be taking a combined cut of 21% and when they'll be looking to plug other funding holes elsewhere.

And this is doesn't even included the funding they are committed to take from Sure Start to fund more NHS Health Visitors.

Comments

• Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Tories at Nottinghamshire have already announced that they're cutting Surestart, except it's the infrastructure funding, so apparently that 'doesn't count', despite the fact that, like any organisation, public or private, without an effective infrastructure, the various centres won't be able to function.
  • RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surestart in my authority was disbanded about a year ago. Pretty much all the skilled staff (Health Visitor, Early Years Co-ordinator, Counselling Psychologist etc) were incorporated into the coitaneous 'Flying Start' scheme that we also have.
  • tvdtvd Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good. Have no idea what this Sure Start thing is all about, except it seems to cost a lot of money. And since it wasnt around a few years ago, i'm sure we can manage without it.

How about educating people that having children is a choice, and one you should only make when you can afford them yourself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a step too far. I have seen 'Sure Start' do some very good work with parents and make a measurable difference. The staff themselves are in the main under no illusions that many parents are a 'lost cause', but their professionalism, dedication and commitment couldn't be questioned.
  • WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvd wrote: »
    Have no idea what this Sure Start thing is all about

Wouldn't it not be a good idea to find out before saying how it's a good thing it's going..?
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RussellIan wrote: »
    That's a step too far. I have seen 'Sure Start' do some very good work with parents and make a measurable difference. The staff themselves are in the main under no illusions that many parents are a 'lost cause', but their professionalism, dedication and commitment couldn't be questioned.

The parents may be a lost cause but their children aren't.

Bear in mind that 93% of children's attainment at school relates to factors unrelated to the school they attend ie to do with their family background, deprivation, poor parenting etc. Early intervention with children in such circumstances is likely to be far better value for money than the pupil premium!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WokStation wrote: »
    Wouldn't it not be a good idea to find out before saying how it's a good thing it's going..?

Not really, I know its something to do with kids. I have none so arent really interested.

I guess its just some other introduction from the nanny state which costs money for no benefit to most of us.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvd wrote: »
    Not really, I know its something to do with kids. I have none so arent really interested.

I guess its just some other introduction from the nanny state which costs money for no benefit to most of us.

Your guess is wrong. But hey, you aren't interested in the way the kids in your neighbourhood could impact your life...
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed. Sure Start was one of the very few things Labour actually got right.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WokStation wrote: »
    Your guess is wrong. But hey, you aren't interested in the way the kids in your neighbourhood could impact your life...

Well hey I was wrong, at least I admitted I hadnt a clue, instead of googling it and pretending I knew.

I may do just that tomorrow though when i'm less tired.

But I will take some convincing that something that we managed without for so many years is now so important to us all, even those with no children, that it cannot be subject to cuts like everything else.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most recent study into Sure Start in England has stated that it's largely ineffective and that the early positive results from the Welsh pilot have yet to be replicated.
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/education/article2337386.ece

That was in 2007, after it had been running in England for five years. I don't know if that's still the case, but if it is then it's far more pragmatic to use the money on a more worthy cause.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The parents may be a lost cause but their children aren't.

Bear in mind that 93% of children's attainment at school relates to factors unrelated to the school they attend ie to do with their family background, deprivation, poor parenting etc. Early intervention with children in such circumstances is likely to be far better value for money than the pupil premium!

I don't quite get what you mean, as in my area at least there is no question of the many projects supporting the 'early intervention' (which yes you are right is entirely laudible) principle being pulled, and it will continue to dovetail into the excellent work being done within our local schools. I just see the 'pupil premium' as a media-focused irrelevance, much as anything which succesive modern governments have lauded as the best thing since sliced bread, which in reality amounts to a few hundred £'s worth of crumbs, being.
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't quite get what you mean, as in my area at least there is no question of the many projects supporting the 'early intervention' (which yes you are right is entirely laudible) principle being pulled, and it will continue to dovetail into the excellent work being done within our local schools. I just see the 'pupil premium' as a media-focused irrelevance, much as anything which succesive modern governments have lauded as the best thing since sliced bread, which in reality amounts to a few hundred £'s worth of crumbs, being.

I was talking about the cuts to the Early Intervention Grant for Surestart - I'm not in favour of the Pupil Premium in its current form, it's worthless.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »

Interesting. Cheers.

If it's not working, then I can only agree in cutting funding. I must admit a personal worry, as I believe our Family Support Worker (helping us access services for our daughter with special needs) is funded by it.