Travel Insurance

crunchie crispcrunchie crisp Posts: 6,775
Forum Member
Looking for a good deal in a family insurance package. 4 kids under 8 no health issues. Anyone got any advice on best firms

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You as a family may be in perfect health, but what about immediate family members (mum, dad, grand parents), if they have any pre-existing conditions the insurance company also needs to be advised.

They don't have to be travelling with you, but if an immediate family member fell ill and you had to cancel your trip or curtail your trip to get back, then you would not be covered for cancellation/curtailment if it was due to a pre-existing illness.

Cheapest price does not mean the best deal though, you have to read all the small print to know exactly what you are getting, to see what the best deal means to you.

I use the various comparison websites, then look at what each policy offers. Do not worry so much about medical emergency costs as long as it is a minimum of £1 million pounds you will be fine (I believe the highest amount ever paid out was between £800-£900 thousand pounds).
  • simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    You as a family may be in perfect health, but what about immediate family members (mum, dad, grand parents), if they have any pre-existing conditions the insurance company also needs to be advised.

They don't have to be travelling with you, but if an immediate family member fell ill and you had to cancel your trip or curtail your trip to get back, then you would not be covered for cancellation/curtailment if it was due to a pre-existing illness.

What a load of old codswallop.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simonp820 wrote: »

Actually, it isn't. I told my insurance company about my mother in law, 90+ years old, no physical problems (at that time) but suffering from senility.

They promptly excluded her from our cover.
  • simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Actually, it isn't. I told my insurance company about my mother in law, 90+ years old, no physical problems (at that time) but suffering from senility.

They promptly excluded her from our cover.

Why would she even be on your cover if she's not travelling?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why would an insurance company pay out, if an immediate family member had a pre-existing medical condition that you knew about forcing you to cancel the trip?

Not all insurance companies are the same, some will cover some won't. So don't just assume. Check the small print.
  • CABINETCABINET Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 is quite correct.

For many policies, the cancellation/early return which might occur if a close relative becomes ill or dies will not be paid out if you have not declared their medical conditions in advance.

We cannot get any cancellation etc insurance to cover our two fathers. Both are in their 80's and have multiple health issues. If something happens to them we will have to take the financial hit. A serious concern for us as we are hoping to take an extended and consequently very expensive trip to the US next year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The point is they don't need to be travelling on the policy.

A pre-existing medical condition of an immediate family member, may mean you have to cancel the trip you are on or if you are abroad may mean you have to curtail your trip and come home early for that family member. Therefore if it is not declared to the Insurance company they could refuse to pay out.

Also bear in mind as well that any medical conditions that may arise after taking the policy out (parties travelling and immediate family not travelling) also will need to be declared as well before travel.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was trying to simplify the situation. However, I see two FMs have answered your question in detail, for which I'm grateful.
  • crunchie crispcrunchie crisp Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the advice, gave me food for thought :)
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting. I take out an annual travel policy but I don't think I've ever been asked about the medical conditions of relatives.

But, I've just checked the policy wording and it says
    Important limitations – Cancelling and cutting short your holiday
    This policy will not cover any claims under section A (Cancelling and cutting short your holiday) that result directly or indirectly from any medical condition you knew about before the policy started, and that affects:
     a close relative who is not travelling and is not insured under this policy;
     someone travelling with you who is not insured under this policy; or
     a person you plan to stay with on your trip.

So, if my parents are in a car crash then I am covered for cancellation or cutting short but not if I have to do so due a condition that I was aware of. Whether or not I knew about all of their medical problems could be hard to prove - we are a family which doesn't like talking about medical matters.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A pre-existing medical condition of an immediate family member, may mean you have to cancel the trip you are on or if you are abroad may mean you have to curtail your trip and come home early for that family member. Therefore if it is not declared to the Insurance company they could refuse to pay out.

That might be the case even when taking out individual insurance. But I don't remember being asked such questions when taking out travel insurance for singles or couples. And supposing someone hasn't been in touch with their parents/grandparents for years; what are they supposed to answer?

(Although I did always go for the very cheapest cover (mainly to take care of medical costs in places such as the USA). Anything else I could underwrite myself.)
    LostFool wrote: »

That's true, it might be under exclusions, which usually rule out anything that has any chance of happening! Another reason I don't usually bother with insurance, or don't rely on it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Interesting. I take out an annual travel policy but I don't think I've ever been asked about the medical conditions of relatives.

So, if my parents are in a car crash then I am covered for cancellation or cutting short but not if I have to do so due a condition that I was aware of. Whether or not I knew about all of their medical problems could be hard to prove - we are a family which doesn't like talking about medical matters.

For an insurance company their medical problems would be easy to prove. For example say they had a pre-existing condition and it forced you to cancel the trip. The insurance company would send you a claim form, and because it would be in relation to a medical claim, this would need to be completed by the doctor, so the doctor would fill out the form and would say how long the patient had been treated for this condition. The insurance company would then have it's proof. Regardless if you were told or not by your relatives as that information would be on you to find out. There are certain pre-existing conditions that are exempt and this is usually shown on the policy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    That might be the case even when taking out individual insurance. But I don't remember being asked such questions when taking out travel insurance for singles or couples. And supposing someone hasn't been in touch with their parents/grandparents for years; what are they supposed to answer?

(Although I did always go for the very cheapest cover (mainly to take care of medical costs in places such as the USA). Anything else I could underwrite myself.)

That's true, it might be under exclusions, which usually rule out anything that has any chance of happening! Another reason I don't usually bother with insurance, or don't rely on it.

If you are sold an Insurance policy by somebody, then exclusions, T&C should be pointed out before selling. You should always read the policy and know what you are covered for, on all policies sold their is a 14 day cooling off period.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »

The two times I've tried to claim in travel insurance the insurer has wriggled out of it.

The main reason I have travel insurance is for medical care abroad (especially in the US). For everything else I'm not too bothered about and I'm prepared to cover any loses myself.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It certainly isn't as many people have found out to their cost.

I know someone whose insurance would not pay up when her hubby had a stroke on holiday abroad. They had failed to declare on the insurance form that he had high blood pressure and was on one BP tablet a day.

You have to be very careful and totally honest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are travelling as a couple or a family, and you have different insurance companies, remember each insurance company has to be informed.

Also you may need to see what insurance companies class as immediate family it may be only parents or grand parents.

Aunties and Uncles may not be classed as immediate family, and I've known people that are closer to their Aunties & Uncles more than other family members.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am currently organising travel insurance and have just looked at one from the MSE site at the start of thread.

I got half way through and then it said something like "if you are awaiting tests at hospital for an undiagnosed condition then you will NOT be covered."

That's that one out then because although I am very healthy I am currently waiting for a hospital outpatients appt. All it is is I get dizzy when I lay down and the GP reckons it's benign positional vertigo. I am fine standing, walking etc it's just when I go to bed and lasts just a few mins.

How do people manage who have serious illnesses?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I am currently organising travel insurance and have just looked at one from the MSE site at the start of thread.

I got half way through and then it said something like "if you are awaiting tests at hospital for an undiagnosed condition then you will NOT be covered."

That's that one out then because although I am very healthy I am currently waiting for a hospital outpatients appt. All it is is I get dizzy when I lay down and the GP reckons it's benign positional vertigo. I am fine standing, walking etc it's just when I go to bed and lasts just a few mins.

How do people manage who have serious illnesses?

You will usually find many insurance policies will not cover against awaiting test results.

People with serious illness will usually find that their insurance costs are very high. e.g. I had a lady (70) who had high blood pressure and high cholesteral, was going to Thailand for three weeks the insurance company wanted an extra £700.00 to cover against these conditions. She paid it! I would imagine a lot go without adequate cover and don't pay the extra premiums.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You will usually find many insurance policies will not cover against awaiting test results.

People with serious illness will usually find that their insurance costs are very high. e.g. I had a lady (70) who had high blood pressure and high cholesteral, was going to Thailand for three weeks the insurance company wanted an extra £700.00 to cover against these conditions. She paid it! I would imagine a lot go without adequate cover and don't pay the extra premiums.

You are well up on all this! :) Does this mean then that I would not be covered for just this? What about if something else happened to me or I became ill? I am really confused but know I have to declare it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    You are well up on all this! :) Does this mean then that I would not be covered for just this? What about if something else happened to me or I became ill? I am really confused but know I have to declare it.

In most cases yes (but again look at the small print of the policy) but as long as it doesn't relate to any undeclared pre-existing conditions then you will have full cover.

There are certain conditions that are automatically covered so you don't have to declare everything, and these should be shown on the policy.

Also and this is out of your hands, in most cases when you make a claim for insurance on medical grounds, a form will have to be completed by your doctor, it all depends what the doctor puts on this form, which will decide the claim. I have known it where a doctor has filled out a form, and said such and such has had this condition for x many years. Trouble is the patient was never aware of this as the information wasn't passed on to them, as it was minor thing, but still the insurance company refused to pay out. So might actually be worth asking for your medical notes to see what is on there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In most cases yes (but again look at the small print of the policy) but as long as it doesn't relate to any undeclared pre-existing conditions then you will have full cover.

There are certain conditions that are automatically covered so you don't have to declare everything, and these should be shown on the policy.

Also and this is out of your hands, in most cases when you make a claim for insurance on medical grounds, a form will have to be completed by your doctor, it all depends what the doctor puts on this form, which will decide the claim. I have known it where a doctor has filled out a form, and said such and such has had this condition for x many years. Trouble is the patient was never aware of this as the information wasn't passed on to them, as it was minor thing, but still the insurance company refused to pay out. So might actually be worth asking for your medical notes to see what is on there.

Thanks very much for your help.:)
    I think I'll ring them tomorrow and discuss it rather than trying to do it on-line.
  • jolfc5jolfc5 Posts: 1,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it is true that you need to disclose close family members illness. my mother died from cancer 4 days before we were due to fly, as i had not told the insurance at the time of booking she was terminally ill i was not able to get my money back on my policy. we ended up paying extra and changing the dates we went so as not to lose £1600.