Vintage TV coming to connected Freeview

jajonessjajoness Posts: 37
Forum Member

Comments

• Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Connected only?........damn! It's on my freesat to freeview list. Oh well, it's not like I don't have freeview. I'd just like all my favorite channels on one platform......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Connected only?........damn! It's on my freesat to freeview list. Oh well, it's not like I don't have freeview. I'd just like all my favorite channels on one platform......

I imagine through IPTV we will soon have almost all the freesat channels on IP Freeview.
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    christoFar wrote: »
    I imagine through IPTV we will soon have almost all the freesat channels on IP Freeview.
    We will!
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wish it was on normal Freeview then VIVA and 4Music will lose all of there viewers :D
  • lambylamby Posts: 3,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What budget "connected" Freeview HD boxes are there?
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    Gone is the testcard from yesterday. It's live...
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sound quality is shite, sounds like a stretched cassette tape, pic quality not good either.

This would be better on normal freeview and not Internet stream
  • clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It works and seems ok to me. Why do people moant they want more channels then moan when they get them? The reason these channels are IPTV is I'm guessing because the normal freeview costs are too expensive for them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if another channel joining via this method means that Motors TV has been a success? I'm guessing they must have looked at their performance when making thre decision to join the platform.
  • MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    Sound quality is shite, sounds like a stretched cassette tape, pic quality not good either.

This would be better on normal freeview and not Internet stream

The sound quality is pretty bad and suffers the same problems as Magic and Kiss. What is strange though is that the other channels like RT and Motors do not suffer the same sound problems. Just what is is that the music channels are doing wrong with their encoding ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds OK to me. Why how is it meant to sound? The music videos I saw the other day were just like the originals I though.

Its like Motors when watching NASCAR or properly produced live sport on their the picture quality is deffo better than some of those highlights packages they show. Must be how its filmed sometimes.
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm getting the channel on my Samsung 22 inch led smart TV in my bedroom. Its a shame Youview can't get those channels.

Darren
  • BangersBangers Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the above comments, the picture and sound of Vintage TV over IPTV is absolutely dire. Audio sounds worse than Magic/Kiss/Kerrang over IPTV (although they are hardly a bastion of quality themselves).
  • MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    clewsy wrote: »
    Sounds OK to me. Why how is it meant to sound? The music videos I saw the other day were just like the originals I though.

Its like Motors when watching NASCAR or properly produced live sport on their the picture quality is deffo better than some of those highlights packages they show. Must be how its filmed sometimes.

There is some sound distortion this was really noticeable yesterday when a few of the videos were taken from tv programmes. The audience applause was garbled and at times the music, shimmers - it's the only way to describe it.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has this caused problems for anyone ? a friend of mine just called me to ask about it as he was watching BBC1 and suddenly he got a message on his screen saying Vintage TV and Arqiva and that the device was not compatible and everything has frozen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not that but last night my TV liked randomly tuning to Motors TV. I assumed some software glith in the TV as injad been watching Motors in the morning.

Is this picture / sound issue due to peoples BB speed? Do they have different quality feeds up to a Max for different speeds.
  • BangersBangers Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt it is because of people's broadband speeds. For example, if I can watch the other IPTV channels fine on the same TV and internet connection, it is hardly my broadband that's playing up is it?

I suspect Vintage TV are doing the IPTV thing on a shoe string, hence the lower picture and sound quality.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True. No one seems to know how much this IP system costs? Is it cheaper than DSAT for example?
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My friends Bush Freeview box isn't connected to the internet but somehow as I said when watching BBC 1 it switched to this screen with a Vintage TV / Arqiva message on the screen telling him his device was not compatible and to contact Arqiva etc . He eventually got back control of his box after leaving it off for an hour .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    clewsy wrote: »
    True. No one seems to know how much this IP system costs? Is it cheaper than DSAT for example?

I imagine it depends on what PQ and SQ bitrate you want.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    christoFar wrote: »
    I imagine it depends on what PQ and SQ bitrate you want.

Well won't they just sell a HD stream or SD stream option? Clearly the later will cost some money given the capacity it will demand.

It would be interesting to know what demands the service can cope with? If we get more IP channels will we get to the point where demand could overload the system? I guess there must be quite a few more TV sets that can get these channels sold every day.