Options

Would you stand by a close family member even if they committed a heinous crime?

Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Would you stand by a close family member even if they committed a most heinous crime?

Would you stand by a close family member even if they committed a heinous crime? 94 votes

Yes
34% 32 votes
No
65% 62 votes

Comments

• Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why, what has your relative done, OP?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    Why, what has your relative done, OP?

Ate the cat.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you mean maintain contact and support them then yes. If you mean hide evidence and provide an alibi to a serial killer or rapist then no.
  • Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    One mans heinous crime is another's misdemeanour.
    Can you give us some examples of what you believe are heinous crimes jol ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CSJB wrote: »
    One mans heinous crime is another's misdemeanour.
    Can you give us some examples of what you believe are heinous crimes jol ?

Well... cold blooded murder.
  • Options
    Kay2000Kay2000 Posts: 3,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God that is a hard one! If they committed the crime I would turn them in myself. If the crime was either murder, rape or cruelty of any form I would find it very difficult to support them, obviously the answer should be no, but unless your put in that position?? I would like to think I would turn my back, but it's easily said than done.
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if it was murder, surely it would depend on the circumstances. Maybe the person was driven to kill by bullying or other situation. In which case, you bet I would stand by them. If it was just killing for fun, obviously quite different.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    If you mean maintain contact and support them then yes. If you mean hide evidence and provide an alibi to a serial killer or rapist then no.

I would never cover up evidence in a heinous crime and, depending on what the crime was, I might even sever contact with any perpetrator irrespective of whether they are a friend or a relative.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would visit them in prison. They are still family no matter what they did and it's likely that a lot of people would disown them so i would feel they needed at least one person to still care about them.

But this depends on how close i was to them prior to this anyway.

My aunt has always said that she would always stand by a member of the family no matter what they did. However if they murdered her grandson who she adores i would have to wonder where she would stand on that one. I doubt she'd sing the same tune then.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends what they did and why they did it.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »

Exactly. For most cases for me it would be a yes. Obviously I wouldn't stand by if they abused my kid for example.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't voted because I don't know.
    What if one day my Uncle killed a man with a single punch because he caught the man raping my Grandmother?

I would be campaigning to keep him out of prison I imagine.

If on the other hand my Uncle was a rapist I would find it very difficult to maintain contact. Much less offer him support.

So I have abstained due to not knowing the answer.
  • Options
    Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This......need a third option....called "depends"

eg if a burglar broke in and murdered your family and you shot him, thats not a heinous crime its a job well done
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on the crime.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member

^^^ is the correct answer, therefore I cannot vote in the poll.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Again, it totally depends on the crime and circumstances of the crime.

If the brother I don't have put a bloke in hospital for abusing my imaginary niece, yes I'd support him. If he put my imaginary niece in hospital or was himself the abuser, then no.
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but I might want to stand at a safe distance.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't much like my family anyway, at the moment.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would depend on the crime.
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it is someone I have given birth too then yes I would support them as in go and visit in prison etc but certainly not condoning what they have done and anyone else probably not.

fingers crossed not of my relies have pulled a Harris :o
  • Options
    Mikey293Mikey293 Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    depends how bad the crime was. if it was murder, burglary, rape, paedophilia, then definitely no. if it was a petty crime then maybe.
  • Options
    Mikey293Mikey293 Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    depends how bad the crime was. if it was murder, burglary, rape, paedophilia, then definitely no. if it was a petty crime then maybe.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    Depends. Not just on the crime, but the reason for it. eg. self defence. If it was cold blooded murder, or rape etc., i'd look at them in an entirely different way, so wouldn't want to support them.
  • Options
    WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    Yes because I have. Without going into details.....I went along with the investigation both with the police and the courts as best I could. I was not prepared to lie or hide evidence of any kind...I told the truth as I knew it, even if that truth was detrimental to my loved one.

However, once he was convicted and imprisoned I did not cut him off. I visited him regularly and when he was eventually released kept in contact and showed him the tenderness and love I had always felt about him. As he grew older we talked about his 'crime' and although it was difficult somehow talking about it helped him a great deal and he never offended again in any way.

His probation officer said I was a great support to him. I simply said I loved him and if you love someone you stand by them. That doesn't mean I wasn't horrified at his crime and I faced his criminality head on - which I had to do in order to continue to love and support him.

I would do the same thing again without hesitation. Thankfully, I won't have too for he has now passed away.
  • Options
    SuperTed_SuperTed_ Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    Yeh, I'm firmly in the "it depends" camp.

Something like rape / child abuse would see be completely turn my back I think but something like murder could have a lot of different factors behind it.

Crappy choice whatever I guess!