Comments

• dodradedodrade Posts: 23,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So nobody got it right then?
  • twintwin Posts: 1,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why were the cameramen and crew just letting it happen? A lot of people saw and knew and just let him get away with it., they are all culpable.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,913
    Forum Member
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    She should ... but that would mean naming names and testifying in court. Much easier to just write an article and name nobody and hope people believe you and give you sympathy anyhow - despite keeping quiet about it for years and choosing this particular moment to speak out.

She joins Amanda Holden who wrote last October about a sexually assault rather than inform the police.
    Amanda Holden writes in her autobiography that she was once assaulted by "a famous comedian".

I was cornered by a famous comedian, who tried to kiss me and put his hands in places they shouldn't have been. I was scared and tried to push him away … but he wasn't put off … My body went limp, and I just stood there as he groped and nuzzled me."

I guess sex sells, Holden didn't give a thought to leaving the comedian to sexually assault or rape other women?
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    twin wrote: »
    Why were the cameramen and crew just letting it happen? A lot of people saw and knew and just let him get away with it., they are all culpable.

I agree but sadly the culture back then was very different from today. At least this and Saville has sent a big fat message to today's stars who think they are invincible Oh and Joe Bloggs too I hope!
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,913
    Forum Member
    twingle wrote: »
    I agree but sadly the culture back then was very different from today. At least this and Saville has sent a big fat message to today's stars who think they are invincible Oh and Joe Bloggs too I hope!

Back then? It was the late 1990's in Feltz's case.

The Amanda Holden incident was around 2000/2001.

The suggestion a famous person these days wouldn't abuse their fame and get away with sexual assault I'd say is nonsense.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    i4u wrote: »

The Amanda Holden incident was around 2000/2001..

I think even then there wasn't as much "awareness" of it as there is now.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »

The Amanda Holden incident was around 2000/2001.

The suggestion a famous person these days wouldn't abuse their fame and get away with sexual assault I'd say is nonsense.

I agree. This wasn't back in the 70's when things were brushed under the carpet, this was in fairly recent times. I find it hard to believe supposedly strong women such as Feltz and Holden felt unable to report what happened as they felt they wouldn't be listened to
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    I think even then there wasn't as much "awareness" of it as there is now.

Yeah, they're really starting to go after celebrity paedophiles now. I wish investigations were more thorough though, because Bill Roache's court case turned out to be a complete shambles. The case shouldn't be brought to court until the cops are sure that they've got enough evidence against said celebrity.
  • LucyDTrymLucyDTrym Posts: 3,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really does anyone believe this then?

Rolf Harris put his hand under my knickers on LIVE TV, claims presenter Vanessa Feltz as another star also says he fondled her

Miss Feltz, 52, claims Harris put his hand inside her knickers on TV in 1996
    Incident allegedly happened while filming on bed for C4's The Big Breakfast

In front of a camera crew and with a long skirt/dress on seriously.

I just roll my eyes. Non of this is productive in anyway.

Bloody hell are we to believe that A GROWN WOMEN was groped by Rolf Harris and didnt see fit to complain and report it.

I dont get this well it was the GREAT ROLF HARRIS, jeez he wasnt that great fairly medicore really in the grand scheme of things.

So it appears he not only has a thing for young girls but old women too.

Nolan said she was 15 when he gave her a huge bear hug and started kissing her neck etc, surely with her support from her sisters she would have reported this or even later on?

NOT reporting it has just allowed this man to carry on.

I expect the storys like Saville will get more and more bizarre.

The Harris family have a rough year ahead of they ever get through this.
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Yeah, they're really starting to go after celebrity paedophiles now. I wish investigations were more thorough though, because Bill Roache's court case turned out to be a complete shambles. The case shouldn't be brought to court until the cops are sure that they've got enough evidence against said celebrity.

The problem is that if the CPS don't prosecute someone, they get accused of a whitewash, but if they do and there's a not guilty verdict then they get accused of wasting time and money, so they really can't win.
  • NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great to see that victim blaming is back in fashion.:(>:(
    Forum Member
    LucyDTrym wrote: »
    Really does anyone believe this then?

Rolf Harris put his hand under my knickers on LIVE TV, claims presenter Vanessa Feltz as another star also says he fondled her

Miss Feltz, 52, claims Harris put his hand inside her knickers on TV in 1996
    Incident allegedly happened while filming on bed for C4's The Big Breakfast

In front of a camera crew and with a long skirt/dress on seriously.

I just roll my eyes. Non of this is productive in anyway.

Bloody hell are we to believe that A GROWN WOMEN was groped by Rolf Harris and didnt see fit to complain and report it.

I dont get this well it was the GREAT ROLF HARRIS, jeez he wasnt that great fairly medicore really in the grand scheme of things.

So it appears he not only has a thing for young girls but old women too.

Nolan said she was 15 when he gave her a huge bear hug and started kissing her neck etc, surely with her support from her sisters she would have reported this or even later on?

NOT reporting it has just allowed this man to carry on.

I expect the storys like Saville will get more and more bizarre.

The Harris family have a rough year ahead of they ever get through this.

Incidentally, since Harris is still alive, he could still sue people for libel if they say something that isn't true.
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NotaTypo wrote: »
    Great to see that victim blaming is back in fashion.:(>:(

Quite. Some people don't seem to realise how sex crimes are handled so poorly that victims are usually left hanging to dry.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Incidentally, since Harris is still alive, he could still sue people for libel if they say something that isn't true.

Agree, i'm sure the footage must be around somewhere.

The nolans and felts always have these storys in the papers before they go to the police, which i'm sure there doing right now :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't doubt for a second these stories are true but I just wish women in their positions had gone to the police and spoken out at the time rather than waiting until now.

I have a friend who was raped, went to the police and went through a horrendous trial so I know how hard it can be to speak out but I just feel it's something that has to be done
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    I don't doubt for a second these stories are true but I just wish women in their positions had gone to the police and spoken out at the time rather than waiting until now.

Honestly believing something doesn't make it true though, and it's a good idea for people to be very careful what they say publicly in light of MacAlpine v. Bercow.
    I have a friend who was raped, went to the police and went through a horrendous trial so I know how hard it can be to speak out but I just feel it's something that has to be done

My ex was raped but didn't go to the police for whatever reason. I don't think it's done her mental health too much good to be fair.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,372
    Forum Member
    Now I'm glad I never joined Rolf's Cartoon Club
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes your quite right, i know i would be. It just beggars belief that someone like VF would not have said something perhaps OFF camera, jeeze if he had done that to me, i would have slapped his face hard. Its different for a young 8 year old but not someone like VF who can certainly usually stand up for herself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly it just means this person gets away with it again and can do it again.

Really sorry about your friend, but i know someone who it happened to and she said the police were brilliant with her and very supportive.

Its a horrible thing to happen to anyone and yes I agree with you SPEAK OUT regardless of how you think it will be accepted as otherwise these men can go on to do it to other children/women, case in point Saville. IF he had been stopped at the beginning ...........
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a horrible thing to happen to anyone and yes I agree with you SPEAK OUT regardless of how you think it will be accepted as otherwise these men can go on to do it to other children/women, case in point Saville. IF he had been stopped at the beginning ...........

It's all very well saying this but the women were probably convinced that Savile would have been 100% believed over them. Besides, he was reported and the police didn't even bother investigating him properly. This is why Savile thought he was untouchable for. Some of the posters in the Savile thread, when it was busy, went very quiet indeed once it was shown that he had in fact sexually abused youngsters on a massive scale. You seem to think that it would have been easy for women to speak out against someone who most of the nation probably thought was great.
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly it just means this person gets away with it again and can do it again.

Really sorry about your friend, but i know someone who it happened to and she said the police were brilliant with her and very supportive.

It would have been career suicide if they had not been believed. Christ even now, they are not believed by many people, you only have to read the threads to see that.

Its easy to say they should have spoken out but most people would keep quiet if it did happen to them.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,975
    Forum Member
    Jason C wrote: »
    Strikes me that it'd be hard for someone in close proximity to Vanessa Feltz to avoid groping her.

That's awful, but it did make me laugh a lot lol.
  • SemillionSemillion Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it took place it's wrong but I really can't be bothered to care. If victims aren't prepared to name their alledged abusers then just keep quiet about it. It just makes you sound like you are attention seeking.

But at what stage is it right for these women such as Feltz and Nolan to come out publicly and name names? both women have high profile media and industry careers, do regular interviews in newspapers and on TV and both had something to say on television when the Savile Saga was being discussed in all media...and yet neither of them said 'Oh by the way, Rolf Harris groped me". Both had opportunities to come out with their claims well before he was arrested. As he has been found guilty since would they have been sued or vindicated had they spoken out, say, four years ago? these women could have made a difference but instead they kept quiet and aided the veil of secrecy under which he operated. It seems as though it took an unknown woman from Australia to speak out and get Harris hauled in and only now do Feltz and Nolan decide to get their tuppence-worth in. All these women in the media claiming to have been assaulted by him but none of them said a thing - it is like they have waited until someone else took the big step and reported him and he was safely put away before they decided to speak. I don't deny what they claim, I just think they should have had the guts to do something first!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semillion wrote: »
    But at what stage is it right for these women such as Feltz and Nolan to come out publicly and name names? both women have high profile media and industry careers, do regular interviews in newspapers and on TV and both had something to say on television when the Savile Saga was being discussed in all media...and yet neither of them said 'Oh by the way, Rolf Harris groped me". Both had opportunities to come out with their claims well before he was arrested. As he has been found guilty since would they have been sued or vindicated had they spoken out, say, four years ago? these women could have made a difference but instead they kept quiet and aided the veil of secrecy under which he operated. It seems as though it took an unknown woman from Australia to speak out and get Harris hauled in and only now do Feltz and Nolan decide to get their tuppence-worth in. All these women in the media claiming to have been assaulted by him but none of them said a thing - it is like they have waited until someone else took the big step and reported him and he was safely put away before they decided to speak. I don't deny what they claim, I just think they should have had the guts to do something first!

I agree. If only one or two of these women had the courage to speak up at the time then this could have been over a long time ago. As it appears that Harris and others were still groping women up until fairly recently, someone speaking up even a few years ago could have saved someone else going through the same thing.

I completely understand why kids, teenagers or even younger women might be scared to speak out but mature adults such as Vanessa are really in a better position than most to have done something about it at the time.
    I'm not victim blaming or doubting what happened but just surprised that she didn't feel she could report this, especially as it was all caught on camera