soap cliches that really get on your nerves.

Comments

• davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emrys wrote: »
    When they have normal conversations in silent rooms such as a court or church and no-one tells them off / reacts.

Or people having a conversation about someone within obvious earshot of that person who carries on oblivious.
  • BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,715
    Forum Member
    This isn't a cliche but if a character goes away on a break, or sometimes we don't see them for a while, and comes back with a new hair style/colour basically a change from what they have had for years hardly anyone, if anyone at al, will compliment them on it or say anything for the character to be aware that the change has been noticed. Maybe it's just me and my friends but we'll notice and say something if one of us gets a trim never mind a completely new style. Isn't that the nor in life?

When Alf ran Angel over on H&A and paralysed her back in the 90's she came out of hospital with blonde hair after having red hair when she went in!
  • Sandgrounder1Sandgrounder1 Posts: 753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Characters who, on leaving someone else's house, say 'I'll see myself out'. Does anyone really ever say that, rather than 'Bye then'?
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Or people having a conversation about someone within obvious earshot of that person who carries on oblivious.

And the person will normally go up to them and be really friendly towards them. They'll probably remark on how nice they are and tell them they should come around more often, unaware of what they're coming around to do!
  • Emma_HenveyEmma_Henvey Posts: 9,895
    Forum Member
    vald wrote: »
    If someone tells a whopping lie about you then the whole community will immediately believe it and shun you, even if they have known you for years and the liar is a known villain.

This is probably one of the worse ones.
    Forum Member
    I don't know if this had already been said but two people are in a relationship and one of them has either had a one night stand or had an affair. They decide the guilt is too much and they plan to confess everything to their other half. Despite appearing distressed, their partner will usually interrupt them and deliver a heart felt speech about how much they love them, how they can't live without them etc.

Another one that annoys me is when characters forgive people so easily. In real life that hardly ever happens. You can beat up someone, steal from them, bully them, sleep with their partner and one poxy apology and all is good.
  • randomocityrandomocity Posts: 2,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Characters not saying thanks. Like yesterday when Roy let Carla have that tea on the house, she just walked out with it without a word.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    One character says to another "I have something really really important to tell you" and the second one say "sorry, got to go and do something, tell me later". Would ANYONE every do this? You'd be grabbing them with both hands saying tell me what it is NOW.
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EVERYONE works in The Square or The Village or The Street

no one every commutes to work or drives to work
  • AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Characters not saying thanks. Like yesterday when Roy let Carla have that tea on the house, she just walked out with it without a word.

I've seen that happen in shops and restaurants - I always think it's rude.
  • billiobillio Posts: 3,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did no-one have access to contraceptives or abortion in the 80s and 90s, because I remember it differently.

Everyone has a baby at the dropof the hat and can't seem to keep hold of them.

I'm not a moral crusader, it's just ridiculous.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couples can't stay married or partners for long but split up and find someone new, i.e. Gary and Izzie in Corrie.
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    I think in general foreshadowing isnt as sophisicated as it could ,should or used to be in all of the soaps.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ceecee31 wrote: »
    One character says to another "I have something really really important to tell you" and the second one say "sorry, got to go and do something, tell me later". Would ANYONE every do this? You'd be grabbing them with both hands saying tell me what it is NOW.

Yes, they'll say 'Meet me in the pub later and we'll talk' without making a time together and then they both are there at the same time.
  • desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every newly arrived teenager, if female is gobby, nasty, confrontational and all round pain in the ar*e that IRL you would cross the road to avoid. (Maddy in Corrie)

Every male teenager is sly, crafty, manipulative and some kind of petty criminal. (Sean in Emmerdale)

Every gay character HAS to have a partner, no one is allowed to live quite happily on their own. Said partner will immediately, on arrival start an affair behind partner's back.

Everyone arriving in the Street, Square or Village must have a deep dark secret that no one must know. They have just arrived, who cares what that secret is.

Everyone arriving in Emmerdale just happens to find a beautiful cottage in one of the prettiest counties in England empty and waiting for them to move into, money no object even if they are benefit scroungers like the Spencers.

If you are in rented property the landlord will threaten to throw you out about once a month, but never does. (Declan Macey in Emmerdale)
  • Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Yes, they'll say 'Meet me in the pub later and we'll talk' without making a time together and then they both are there at the same time.

That really bugs me that one! Ha!
    Forum Member
    I don't know if this has already been mentioned but when there has been a murder or rape and there's an investigation, the police always arrest the innocent person.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soap characters getting promoted, demoted, sacked, hired, etc.. on a whim.
    The factory in Corrie is the worst for this kind of thing.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    People who want to hide a pregnancy test/Letter etc putting it at the top of the bin where it is found immediately
  • RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Character 1 prepares to tell Character 2 a secret*

*Character 2 interrupts and it gives a heartwarming speech/confession about Character 1*

*Character 1 then decides not to reveal secret after listening to speech*

It's only annoying when it frequently happens and I suppose that sometimes it does depend on the situation.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Couple split up after discovering a secret.

The one in trouble suggests it's nothing major -- they can sort it out, and tries to demonstrate how much they love the other half.

The partner, who calls the shots, suggests the damage has been done, asks the person to leave before things get messy.

Desolate, the partner rests him or herself on the door, sobbing his or her's heart out. At this point the episode ends.

Take Lloyd/Andrea for instance on Friday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It didn't mean anything, it just happened' - said after the affair has been exposed
    Character gives long speech, pouring their heart out, telling someone they have loved them for 30 years or whatever, then turns around to gauge the reaction, the person is fast asleep

There are more i can't think of atm
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The amount of secrets that are overheard or witnessed
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Characters seeing something and getting the wrong end of the stick.

Corrie really took the pee with that twice on monday! As if it wasnt bad enough neil saw andrea and steve hug and assumed steve was the other bloke, he then later saw them hug again!

Talk about over doing it, yes corrie writers we didnt miss it the first time!
  • BumbleSquatBumbleSquat Posts: 7,176
    Forum Member
    X character discovers a shocking secret about Y character. ''If you don't tell Z by the end of the day then I will!'' Just as X is on their way to tell everything to Z, they experience some awful accident which puts them into a coma or something. Cue lots of scenes involving Y looking nervous and shifty anytime Z character informs them about X's improving condition.

Currently happening in EastEnders. Remember when Emmerdale's Victoria caught Katie and Robert's affair, which rendered her speechless? She only communicated via a ventriloquist's dummy! :D Cue tonnes of shots of Katie and Robert looking guilty and nervous anytime Victoria shoved her hand up it's arse! :D