Options

Jobcentre Plus - pointless beyond belief

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The entire thing needs to be built up again from the ground up .

Jobcentre Plus sucks out your soul .
    They drive oeople to despair .
  • Options
    tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really don't see how the hell the jobcentres can cope with high numbers of jobseekers in the offices for 35 hours a week on top of the signing, remember young jobseekers sign weekly.
    Older jobseekers I find often need more support with the IT side of looking for a job and that's what we were told (when the local manager came to speak to us and spoke about the new computers )were for, to support people who need it looking for work on the new computers.

They certainly haven't piloted attending 35 hours a week in local jobcentres around here.......I would have heard about it if they had, loads would have been moaning about it to me.

Ids may come up with these ideas but getting the. In is something else.
  • Options
    ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lea_uk wrote: »
    Are they on strike everywhere?

No idea. I just got a piece of paper through the post this morning telling me I wasn't due to sign on again until two weeks time due to the strike.
    Mark1974 wrote: »
    I'm due to sign tomorrow, albeit for the last time (thank ****).

What happens to our payment if them lazy tossers aren't working?

Maybe WE should sanction THEM!

Payment goes through as normal.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They aren't really pointless. If it weren't for them you wouldn't get paid.
  • Options
    Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,157
    Forum Member
    pugamo wrote: »
    They aren't really pointless. If it weren't for them you wouldn't get paid.
    You would - it would just be paid by a different office or department.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not due to sign on today but if I was and there is a picket line outside, could I refuse to cross it and not get sanctioned.

I've never crossed a picket line in my life and wouldn't want to strat now.
  • Options
    Colino GreenColino Green Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably only spent a total of 11 months or so in my whole 24 year working life on unemployment benefit of some sort. Signed on between February and June for a few months. Totally soul destroying experience going to the job centre having to show that you are looking for a job all hours to such an extent that you apply for jobs that you are either unsuitable for or are too far away to realistically get to via public transport.

Wouldn't like to be anyone who is forced to do got to the Jobcentre of the last couple of years without any prospect of a decent job for years on end.

Just finished a contract role early (slightly surprisingly) over a week ago. I have decided that with my savings currently in a healthy state, I will not sign on again and take my own time looking for a job when I am ready. Still haven't started yet and it's a bit annoying that I may soon be dipping into my savings again, but I would like to try and avoid the job centre for the rest of my life if I can help it.

Miserable stuff. The latest news on the surveillance laws that the three main political parties are rushing through mean that the UK is increasingly resembling a fascist military junta anyway, so it might be a good idea to start taking some German or French language courses and get the hell off to some other part of western Europe, to be fair.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder when they will extend the jobcentres with a million computers who people with no jobs will have to be there for 12 hours to do what are told. Its heading there. They can rename it to the workhouse.
  • Options
    FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is what happens when you vote at a general election.

Vote for any nazi party and you will not get what you want.

For example:

If you want a job, go on a training course or the WP.

Instead of scrapping foreign aid and using the money on creating more jobs than there unemployed people, your so called government will spend money on pointless schemes to get people off benefits and into long term sustainable work.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FIFA1966 wrote: »

For example:

If you want a job, go on a training course or the WP.

Instead of scrapping foreign aid and using the money on creating more jobs than there unemployed people, your so called government will spend money on pointless schemes to get people off benefits and into long term sustainable work.

What a totally indefatigable post.
  • Options
    DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Strange ... I had no idea the neo-Nazi scum of the BNP had been voted into government.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Mark1974 wrote: »
    Having worked for Remploy under the "Flexible New Deal" programme, then "TUPE'd" to A4e when the Work Programme started, I have knowledge of how Welfare to Work operates.

I agree with your comments 100%. Apart from a few happy success stories, it's mainly about getting people into crap jobs and making sure they stick it out for at least 26 weeks so the provider gets full payment.

It's about hitting targets and getting the payments, and it's rarely about the jobseeker. You can understand the negative attitude of many jobseekers who come in, get plonked in a room and told to search for jobs. The very reason they're there is because they have barriers to work, and all but a few good employment advisors aren't trained to deal with them.

It doesn't work and although I may get accused of writing people off, there are a minority who are just unemployable. With the best will in the world, you will not get some people into work.

I also saw middle-aged, middle managers with a wealth of experience and qualifications being literally TOLD to apply for jobs at Walkers Crisps. It's clear to see why jobseekers get so disheartened.

I agree that one agency needs to be in charge of all this, without silly incentive payments or unreachable targets. Take all that out of it and concentrate on getting people the jobs they not only want, but are going to stick at.

The current system is failing, and failing the unemployed.

Could not agree more with this post.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Citadel wrote: »
    What a totally indefatigable post.

Words of advice:

Don't use words nobody has heard before like (Indefatigable).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Words of advice:

Don't use words nobody has heard before like (Indefatigable).

Oh dear. Actually I meant 'incomprehensible'. I'm guessing you've never heard of that word, either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJGM wrote: »
    Strange ... I had no idea the neo-Nazi scum of the BNP had been voted into government.

Alright then, answer the following:

1. Why is it easy to throw money at a pointless railway project, when the same amount can be spent on creating more jobs than there unemployed people?

2. Is foreign aid more important than crime, education, health and employment?

3. If politicians can somehow manage to magically find money to create a scheme then why not spend the same amount on building more businesses locally?

Remember the following:

The economy does not create jobs, businesses do.

If the economy creates jobs, where are the businesses?
  • Options
    karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was the job centre on strike everywhere on Thursday? I was due to sign on yesterday but I was told I was signed off because I missed an interview. It was my fault because I totally forgot about it but now I am getting no money for a month. If they have diliberately gone on strike, that is complete double standards and totally hypocritical. What I did was a complete accident and the 1st time it has happend but I am getting an extreme punishment for it but for them to take a day off to complain that they don't get paid enough and I am getting my piddly £72 a week stopped for next to nothing is sickening.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    delete.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    job centre plus is only a title. the CORRECT name is centre for punishment, sanctions, hardship, ill treatment and abuse >:(
  • Options
    Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    What I don't get, amongst other things, is the cost of the computer systems. It is absolutely insane.

It's estimated Monster received £16 million to do this work. As a professional web developer myself, this amount of money for a job like this is absolutely insane. I could single handedly develop a website with the same level of job searching functionality within a couple of months at cost of say £6k. There is simply no way at all to justify that level of expenditure. Exactly where these millions of pounds go to, I've no idea. I presume the line the pockets of the CEOs whilst the people actually doing the work part get paid peanuts. The joys of our broken capitalism, it's not about what you do, it's who you know.

The James Taggarts are winning, the Hank Reardons are losing,
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Back in the mid 80s,job centres were a lot less regulated and a lot more useful.
    When I went back in 2005 it was a prettier office,nice computers,desks and plants,and I thought,"hmm,how the effing hell does the office being more trendy actually get people into work"
    I was constantly referred to as a customer,in a contract.
    As usual,my first payment never appeared - it has always been that way,chase it up and then you are in the system.
    I went back,they asked about my unfilled in "job diary" - I said it's not filled in,the contract states I fill it in and you give me money,you havent stuck to our contract"
    They really didn't like that at all and threatened me with all the sanctions.
    Ultimately though,I found the whole experience horrible and pointless.
    I did end up,after a second period of unemployment,at some kind of scheme.
    Again,it was useless,but the coffee was free and they paid our bus fares.
    It became more of a get together for like minded people,we used to take turns in buying a big bag of chips and chatting,but not one of our group found work through the scheme,because they were totally useless.
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    DJGM wrote: »

No,but the neo Liberal scum of New Labour made things a hell of a lot worse,and the neo Liberal scum of the Conservatives have done bugger all to make things better. :-)
  • Options
    roger_purvisroger_purvis Posts: 968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no it is not. Your negative attitude is pointless beyond belief. It is a costly organisation that is there to help you. If you are negative about it then it is you that is the problem.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A mate of mine who claims JSA due to being made redundant told me a few days ago that a month or so back his local Jobcentre ripped out all the phones that used to be provided for jobseekers to use and that this week they've removed the Jobpoint machines.
  • Options
    roger_purvisroger_purvis Posts: 968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    A mate of mine who claims JSA due to being made redundant told me a few days ago that a month or so back his local Jobcentre ripped out all the phones that used to be provided for jobseekers to use and that this week they've removed the Jobpoint machines.

well your mate will be lying to you, or spinning a ludicrously one sided dit to prove a point. You should pump him for more information and see if his tale of woe stands up to scrutiny.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no it is not. Your negative attitude is pointless beyond belief. It is a costly organisation that is there to help you. If you are negative about it then it is you that is the problem.

You come across as an ill-informed snob who has no idea how the system works. You work for UKIP, don't you? :blush:
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    well your mate will be lying to you, or spinning a ludicrously one sided dit to prove a point. You should pump him for more information and see if his tale of woe stands up to scrutiny.

Actually, it IS true. The JobCentre is in the process of removing all job points and telephones. People are now expected to use Universal Jobmatch only, and the telephones are being replaced by computers for jobseekers to use. In my Job Centre these computers are already in place, and the phones are long gone.

Instead of assuming an unemployed person is wrong, why don't you do some research so you have the slightest clue what you are talking about?