Options

Is there anyone who dosen't "get" Rihanna?

LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Think it's safe to say she is one of hottest people around atm no doubt. I do like her and some of her songs but I'm also becoming sick of her. :confused: She's everywhere!!! I think I preferred GGGB better.

Comments

• Options
    Candy StoreCandy Store Posts: 5,125
    Forum Member
    Beautiful girl but her voice has all the beauty of a dentist's drill.
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    I LOVE her. I'm glad for her success, although I can appreciate if you're not a fan of her, it can be really annoying with her being everywhere. She has 4 songs in the top 20 on iTunes at the moment! :eek:

I was just the same in 2009, when Lady Gaga, who I wasn't a fan of, was absolutely everywhere. I just wanted to pull my hair out. lol.

But just remember, it's just a phase. It was like how she was MASSIVE back in 2008, then 2009/pre-Love the Way You Lie 2010 was pretty quiet from her, and now she's massive again. In a few months it'll all die down for a while. It happens with all artists, where they have these phases where they just so happen to have like 5 great songs out at the same time, and everybody goes crazy for them. Sort of like Timbaland in 2007.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    I don't particularly understand why she's so massive, but in general...she's a pretty young woman with a sexy image and a catalog of (usually) good pop songs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of the big female pop acts, she's my personal favourite.

There is something inherantly likeable about her voice, she is perhaps not the best technical singer around, but her voice just works for me.

She also seems to know how to pick a good song, Umbrella is pure pop gold, Rude boy did the edgy pop thing very well and I generally would never turn off the radio if one of her songs came on, or leave the dancefloor if she came on when I'm out.

She is also, in my humble, shallow oppinion the best looking woman in pop. (She'd be the best looking in music if it wasn't for Karen O and Alice Glass....) which does her no harm in my book. :p

So yeh, I don't really have a bad word to say about her. I don't like her enough to buy one of her albums, mind you, buts thats because its not really my scene.
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was never a fan, but bought Loud on a whim and LOVED it.

However I totally see how people may not like her. Her voice isn't to everyone's tastes, her dress sense leaves a lot to be desired though she always looks hot, and she mimes a lot. She's like the American Cheryl Cole in terms of exposure and hype but 10000x more talented and charismatic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I really get her. I love what she is about and all her songs. I've been a massive fan since Unfaithful and Umbrella just took it to the next level. I never thought she could top GGGB but she has with Rated R and Loud. They have some of the catchiest songs I have ever heard and I even get her slow songs stuck in my head. Sometimes the words "Fire department, ambulance" get stuck in my head. Like they aren't the most catchy lyrics but they do. And almost everyday since last November "Oh Na Na, what's my name?" has just blurted out of my mouth.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    I don't think there's anything to "get". She's one of those "what you see is what you get" type of singers. I think she is massively overrated and am fed up of hearing her stuff (I don't go looking for it, but it's hard to miss).

And I really, really do not get all the "controversy" over S&M. Radio One are such wimps.
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ That.

With bells on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    She's one of the few contemporary pop stars who I wouldn't pay to see get brutally murdered, but I'd probably still have to kill myself before listening to one of her albums.
  • Options
    MikePJBMikePJB Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    Unigal07 wrote: »

However I totally see how people may not like her. Her voice isn't to everyone's tastes, her dress sense leaves a lot to be desired though she always looks hot, and she mimes a lot. She's like the American Cheryl Cole in terms of exposure and hype but 10000x more talented and charismatic.

She doesn't mime. She might have a few times when she first came out, but she hasn't mimed for years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MikePJB wrote: »
    She doesn't mime. She might have a few times when she first came out, but she hasn't mimed for years.

Rihanna doesn't blatantly mime but her performances for this era has seen her sing over loud backing vocals to the point where it doesn't matter if she puts a mic near her mouth. Some people were led to believe her voice improved live but the fact is that her backing vocals is covering up her a*se.
  • Options
    joules22joules22 Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who?????
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing I know about her is the umbrella song, thats it, she is of no relevance to me at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,822
    Forum Member
    joules22 wrote: »
    Who?????

gurl, WHAT? how can you not know Rihanna LMAO.

- If I'm being honest, I didn't really stan for her before Rated R. I just thought she was your typical generic popstar, but then she released Rated R and the love affair began ~ I was one of those ppl who used to bring her down just so I could big up my fav, Beyonce (I'm just being honest)

Now I appreciate them both and won't have a bad word said against either of them! :mad: :cool:
  • Options
    Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    She swings from amazing (Rated R) to awful (Her first two albums) for me. Then there's a couple of filler albums in between, LOUD and GGGB.

But generally, I like her.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unigal07 wrote: »

Rihanna is from Barbados. She is not American. I don't know why everyone thinks she is.

And she doesn't mime, although sometimes her backing track is so loud she might as well be miming because you can hardly hear her live vocals.
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rihanna is from Barbados. She is not American. I don't know why everyone thinks she is.

And she doesn't mime, although sometimes her backing track is so loud she might as well be miming because you can hardly hear her live vocals.

Yes but she's majorly successful in America is what I was getting at, as Cheryl Cole is majorly successful here.
  • Options
    daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    I'm not really a fan of hers, but I do like some of her songs, but others I just cannot stand.
    I can see why she's very successful though.
  • Options
    MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    her voice has all the beauty of a dentist's drill.
    Quoted for truth
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leeah wrote: »
    Think it's safe to say she is one of hottest people around atm no doubt. I do like her and some of her songs but I'm also becoming sick of her. :confused: She's everywhere!!! I think I preferred GGGB better.

She does dominate the charts doesnt she??

And she's FLAT!!:eek: Limited vocal range IMO..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    She's lame as hell is what she is.