The Thing

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
Forum Member
I saw a trailer for this today. It's to be released on October 14th. I haven't seen the original but I definitely want to see this prequel. Any early judgements?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    watch the original.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    lil lexie wrote: »
    watch the original.

I might watch the prequel first as it's set before the original :)
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :) I've watched the original many times.It's one of the scariest films i've ever seen.Still sends a shiver up my spine these days.
    It'll be interesting to see how the advance in special effects over the years show in the film.
    I see it's just a straight remake.Can't help but think some things should be left alone.Time will tell.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    U96 wrote: »
    :) I've watched the original many times.It's one of the scariest films i've ever seen.Still sends a shiver up my spine these days.
    It'll be interesting to see how the advance in special effects over the years show in the film.
    I see it's just a straight remake.Can't help but think some things should be left alone.Time will tell.

It's not a direct remake - It's set three days before the original film. I know what you mean though, we need more original films rather than prequels, sequels, remakes and reboots :yawn:
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watch the original first, it's one of the greatest films ever made and the prequel will at the very least spoil it for you.
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lannurst wrote: »
    It's not a direct remake - It's set three days before the original film. I know what you mean though, we need more original films rather than prequels, sequels, remakes and reboots :yawn:

Oh right.I watched the trailer and recognised a few scenes.But i guess it must be all the stuff that happens before Kurt Russell and his guys save the running husky.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looks more like a remake than a prequel.

And the 1982 move was itself a remake.
  • rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a remake disguised as a prequel, it's even called The Thing - I get the idea the makers were too cautious to veer too far away from the original so have basically used the same ideas and te same name to guarantee an audience.
    I'll give it a go but looks a bit to popcorn-y too me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Watch the original first, it's one of the greatest films ever made ...

I'd go along with that.

OP, if the remake/prequel/whateva interests you so much then, really, you should check out the original first. It's a fine film, you won't be disappointed.
  • ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The advance in special effects will no doubt result in some weightless CGI and will lose the impact of Rob Bottin's astonishing creations in the original.

Hoping for the best, but pretty much expecting a retread of Carpenter's classic despite the pretence of it being a prequel.

But it's got Mary Elizabeth Winstead in it, so it'll be watchable for her :-)
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The original film is very good and underrated in my opinion.
  • rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's sounds a bit like we're trashing the film before anyone's seen it but given all the other remakes* of recent years can we really expect a classic.
    I'll definitely see it but I'm expecting it to be an acceptable time-passer rather than a classic, intense masterpiece.

*before anyone says "it's not a remake", please see my other post regarding this issue.
    And as for the cgi effects, nothing but nothing will ever match the originals chest burst/spider head scene for shock and realism.
  • bruce9651bruce9651 Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    And its got that classic line as well :eek:
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bruce9651 wrote: »
    And its got that classic line as well :eek:

This one?
    "You gotta be f*cking kidding"

I've always wondered whether that was scripted or whether it was just a spontaneous response, because it's possibly the best reaction to anything in a film ever.:D
  • Dunce-2007Dunce-2007 Posts: 6,452
    Forum Member
    ''Aaaahhllll Keeelllll Youuuu!!!!''
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually, my favorite line from the Carpenter movie is where they have tested the blood of all of the guys and tied them down, there is a big effects sequence and then it all goes quiet...and the guy in charge of the station, who is still tied down, says very calmly...

'i know you gentlemen have been through a lot...but when you find the time...i would rather not spend the rest of this expedition TIED TO THIS ****ING COUCH!!!'

I remember it got a huge laugh in the cinema, because it completely broke the tension.

Oh, and just to make it clear, this movie apparently shows what happened to the Norwegian expedition, though it apparently resembles Carpenters movie quite closely.

Early reviews are reasonably positive, seems to be an OK movie, if not a great one.
  • IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    OP - as others have said, you should most definitely watch the 1982 'original' first.
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    The 1982 remake is on ITV1 (& HD) tonight at 10:35
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As for the "remake" status of this new "Thing", there's not much else you can do with a movie about a shape-shifting alien creature which takes over the body of it's victim, is there ?
    Anyway, I think this new one will sink without trace, while Carpenters' movie is completely brilliant !
    I'll wait for the BluRay to come out.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    The 1982 remake is on ITV1 (& HD) tonight at 10:35

It's funny. There was 31 years difference between Carpenter's '82 remake and the Hawks/Nyby '51 original, and roughly the same (29 years) between Carpenter's and this new one.

Carpenter's looked poles apart from Hawks', yet this new one looks like having little difference to Carpenter's. Lesson in there somewhere.
  • ItsNickItsNick Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iggyman wrote: »
    OP - as others have said, you should most definitely watch the 1982 'original' first.
    John Carpenters 1982 version wasn't the original.
    That was a remake of "The thing from another world" from 1951.
  • IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    ItsNick wrote: »
    John Carpenters 1982 version wasn't the original.
    That was a remake of "The thing from another world" from 1951.

Hence the reason that I put 'original' in inverted commas. :)
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's funny. There was 31 years difference between Carpenter's '82 remake and the Hawks/Nyby '51 original, and roughly the same (29 years) between Carpenter's and this new one.

Carpenter's looked poles apart from Hawks', yet this new one looks like having little difference to Carpenter's. Lesson in there somewhere.

And Carpenter's version was closer to the original short story "Who Goes There?" by John W Campbell. Hawks' version was a fairly typical 1950s monster movie (which had neither the budget nor the technical capability to create "morphing" visuals) but shocked audiences with the climactic burning scene.

Oh, and I've got an early draft of Bill Lancaster's screenplay for Carpenter's version and the "got to be f***ing kidding" line isn't in there. I'm guessing it was added during filming as the exact details of the transformations weren't worked out in the script - I imagine a lot was done in collaboration with Bottin and the effects crew.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Alas, poor Christian Nyby. always going to have his credit overshadowed by his producer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Its on ITV right now bit late I only just saw it.