Options

Male Jewellery

Beagle2Beagle2 Posts: 1,262
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was just wondering which shops were good to get 'casual' jewellery for males?

I have a ring from Topman, but it's a bit big, and I can't find any others I like in the clothing stores. I also used to have a chain years ago which I quite liked, but I can't find it anywhere.

It isn't for any 'purpose' as such - I want something I can wear at all/most times to signify a 'new life' this year (i.e. putting problems behind me - I think having a ring or chain would make me more conscious of this and stop me falling into old/bad habits). And I know that might sound a bit silly to some people, but I genuinely think it will help.

I don't mind paying a bit for it because one of my problems I want to leave behind is a gambling addiction - so if I have something reasonably priced on me at all times that I can touch/see, it will (hopefully) make me realise that there are much better things to spend my money on that gambling.

So any suggestions on what to buy and where to buy it would be much appreciated. :)

Comments

• Options
    Iane LamentIane Lament Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    Try your local Cartier branch. Should be easy enough to find
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beagle2 wrote: »
    I was just wondering which shops were good to get 'casual' jewellery for males?

I have a ring from Topman, but it's a bit big, and I can't find any others I like in the clothing stores. I also used to have a chain years ago which I quite liked, but I can't find it anywhere.

It isn't for any 'purpose' as such - I want something I can wear at all/most times to signify a 'new life' this year (i.e. putting problems behind me - I think having a ring or chain would make me more conscious of this and stop me falling into old/bad habits). And I know that might sound a bit silly to some people, but I genuinely think it will help.

I don't mind paying a bit for it because one of my problems I want to leave behind is a gambling addiction - so if I have something reasonably priced on me at all times that I can touch/see, it will (hopefully) make me realise that there are much better things to spend my money on that gambling.

So any suggestions on what to buy and where to buy it would be much appreciated. :)

If there's one thing more pointless to spend your money on than gambling, it's jewellery. Especially as you are a guy. If you must wear something to symbolise your new life, as least make it tasteful...like an inoffensive bead-bracelet or something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have some bead bracelets, but my personal opinion is that they're tacky. I probably wouldn't wear them at work, and certainly not if I was dressing up for a special occasion.

And I think I'll stay away from Cartier... 6 grand for a watch? No thanks. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have some bead bracelets, but my personal opinion is that they're tacky. I probably wouldn't wear them at work, and certainly not if I was dressing up for a special occasion.

Metal jewellery is infinitely more tacky. Especially if it contains diamonds/fake-diamonds.
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    I hate blingy gold and diamond jewellery. You can get some really nice steel and black stuff, leather thong necklaces and bracelets. Try amazon or Google images and see if there's anything you like.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If youre buying it to symbolise a new start but also a different attitude to money, dont spend a lot, say over £70 on it.
    I think its a good idea, though, and congrats on kicking your addiction!

How about personalised dog tags? You can get them inscribed with a quote or lyrics which mean something to you?
    Personally, men in bracelets- reminds me of that friends episode! Or swiss tony :D i had a quick google and theres nasty stuff at h samuel, argos etc in the way of chains, soverign rings.
    Or these dog tag bracelets are ok, on a leather tie- http://s7v1.scene7.com/is/image/JohnLewis/231485573?$fash_product$ again you can get a message on it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Freeman000 wrote: »
    Metal jewellery is infinitely more tacky. Especially if it contains diamonds/fake-diamonds.

Nah. I quite like the queen's crown :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    florencee wrote: »
    Nah. I quite like the queen's crown :D

It's vulgar, just like the Royal Family itself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh wow! You might have to google a bit to find it in the uk, or just get it shipped straight from america, but this ring is incredible- polished pewter- so looks like silver bt will fade to a dull steel.
    Helmut lang ring- $105 http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/Theory/C010238X_B03_F0 really cool.
  • Options
    Forum Member

You said money was no object. I would ignore posts by florencee. Theyre looking in all the wrong places
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You said money was no object. I would ignore posts by florencee. Theyre looking in all the wrong places

Yes. Right. But since its supposed to represent getting back in track after kicking a gambling addiction, i dont think blowing hundreds on something is perhaps the best attitude?

I was kinda joking abt argos etc, btw :rolleyes:

The helmut lang ring is very cool, or something which you can have inscribed like dogtags, would mean even more.
    Symbols dont need to be expensive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't say money is no object, I said that I don't mind spending 'a bit' on it. I was thinking around £50, but certainly no more than £100.

As for getting messages engraved on something, I'm not sure about that - I think I'd prefer it to be relatively plain so the meaning isn't obvious. It was a personal problem, and I want the solution to be mainly personal too (except for the friend that's helping me through it).

And thank you for the 'congrats', florencee. :)

The one I have from Topman is steel, and I think it looks OK - it's just the size that puts me off it. I went through a phase last year of wearing it (for a few weeks), but it ended up annoying me due to its size. So something a bit smaller in steel (or something black) is probably the kinda thing I'll go for. Unless I see any good necklace/chain-type things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha ha- yeah. I didnt think youd be spending hundreds!

I didnt mean youd have to have 'i must not go to bingo' engraved and then wear an open shirt to show it off :D:D just that you could have something subtle like 'keep the faith' or something on it. It wouldnt be seen.

I think a ring would be the nicest as youd see it all the time. I did have a good look but its mostly celticy, gothy, or weddingy. Id find that the most helpful as id see AND be able to feel it.

Guess you just need to hit the high street.

But, again- well done. Impressive start to the new year- i honestly wish you all the best! Xx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would hold off on the good wishes to see if I can last, first. :p

I've tried to quit a few times before, and I took 'drastic action' (or my version of such) in September, but I had a bit of a relapse a couple of weeks ago. But it just seems like a good time to take it seriously now. I know New Year is an arbitrary time to quit something, but it's as good a time as any. And at least I can associate it in my head with something (i.e. new year/new start, and suchlike).

But anyway, that's enough about that. I plan to go into the city centre at the weekend maybe and see what I can find. I think I just need to take a female friend with me to tell me what's good!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. Women ARE good at shopping!

All the best.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would hold off on the good wishes to see if I can last, first. :p

I've tried to quit a few times before, and I took 'drastic action' (or my version of such) in September, but I had a bit of a relapse a couple of weeks ago. But it just seems like a good time to take it seriously now. I know New Year is an arbitrary time to quit something, but it's as good a time as any. And at least I can associate it in my head with something (i.e. new year/new start, and suchlike).

But anyway, that's enough about that. I plan to go into the city centre at the weekend maybe and see what I can find. I think I just need to take a female friend with me to tell me what's good!

I would strongly advise that you don't succumb to any attempts to push you into buying something you don't like. See women like florencee will con you into believing that something is right for you when it isnt. Beware the going all guey, begging, please, please, please get that one, it so suits you, its so lovely, tack.
    :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I definitely wouldn't buy something I didn't like. Regardless of who told me to. :p

The last time I went shopping with a female friend, she told me to buy 3 things (polo shirt, jeans and shoes) - I only bought one of those because I didn't like the other two enough to warrant paying good money for them. I still think I would've looked OK in them, but I would've had to hit the gym a bit more for them to look good...

So I would respect her opinion and trust her judgement - but I still wouldn't get anything that I wasn't 100% happy with.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about a tattoo instead?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a fan of tattoos. Thanks anyway, though. :)
  • Options
    FairyFeet1964FairyFeet1964 Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about a jewellery shop such as Ernest Jones? They have sales on as well, have attached link but they have stores in Edinburgh so you could go and have a look and try some on and see what you think:

http://www.ernestjones.co.uk/

http://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webstore/l/jewellery/price%7Cunder+£50%7C£50+-+£149/recipient%7Chim/category%7Crings/
  • Options
    dorahalldorahall Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a look on here

http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/men/mens-jewellery

Some nice original stuff, and not too tacky.
  • Options
    monkeydave68monkeydave68 Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just get him a watch

jewellery is for women and pirates lol
  • Options
    TrevorFowlerTrevorFowler Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    just get him a watch

jewellery is for women and pirates lol

... and Jimmy Savile ;)

Seriously, OP your budget is going to limit your choices. Personally, I'm not a fan of jewellery unless it is functional as well like a watch. A nice one which you could have engraved with an individual saying or motto. Facing your wrist it would be discreet.

However, regardless of the monetary value, I think it is important that you CHOOSE SOMETHING YOURSELF as it would symbolise you taking control and being in charge of your own destiny. Letting other choose for you (or have a major influence on your choice) is going to indicate some sort of dependency which is the opposite of what you're getting the thing for.
  • Options
    monkeydave68monkeydave68 Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... and Jimmy Savile ;)

Seriously, OP your budget is going to limit your choices. Personally, I'm not a fan of jewellery unless it is functional as well like a watch. A nice one which you could have engraved with an individual saying or motto. Facing your wrist it would be discreet.

However, regardless of the monetary value, I think it is important that you CHOOSE SOMETHING YOURSELF as it would symbolise you taking control and being in charge of your own destiny. Letting other choose for you (or have a major influence on your choice) is going to indicate some sort of dependency which is the opposite of what you're getting the thing for.

thought jimmy savile was a pirate, sorry meant pervert lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That is a very good point. I guess the purpose of the thread was to get ideas, not to be influenced. And when I talked about taking a female friend to the shops, I didn't mean that I would let her choose for me, it would just be for a second opinion. :)

But I think I've found one that I like online anyway -

http://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webstore/d/8723257/steel+and+black+stripy+spinner+ring/

I'll just need to hope one of the remaining sizes fits me, or try and find one in-store. And I'll need to check the overall sizing (width) with my old one, because I have a feeling that one will be too big as well...