It's sad to think good artists like Paloma Faith are underperforming.

Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just been reading a few of Paloma's recent tweets (and also an interview she gave a few weeks ago), she said she's more than aware that this could be her last album due to lack of airplay and just general lack of interest, which I thought was brave of her to admit.

It makes me sad to think that this particular artist (there are others but just using Paloma Faith as an example) are basically being pushed out for the generic claptrap that is only successful because of it's 'radio friendly' approach. In my personal opinion, artists like Tinie Tempah, One Direction, Pitbull etc etc are good at producing singles and stuff for radio, but that's about it.

I admit that maybe Paloma's new single 'Can't Rely On You' was a risky choice as a single from the new album but her first two albums are stunning, very artistic in approach. Mind you in all fairness she has always sold albums much better than singles but still.

I swear the music industry has gone down the pan.

Comments

• WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it will be her last album. She sells albums very well. She's never had a huge single before, that has blown up. But her album was like 4th best selling of the year, IIRC. Or 5th.
  • bananashakebananashake Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it will be her last album. She sells albums very well. She's never had a huge single before, that has blown up. But her album was like 4th best selling of the year, IIRC. Or 5th.

It was the 11th best selling album of 2012 so don't think it'll be her last album. As you say, she's a good album seller.

I'm a casual listener of Paloma and have to say I'm really torn over her new single. I like it but not enough to buy it. It's alright but it was meet stuck in my head so I'm not surprised to see it fall down the iTunes chart so soon. Will be interesting to see wherever album charts.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is an album seller not a singles artist by her standards CROY is doing very well. As for lack of exposure it's unfair but it happens but she sells albums well and that's better than most.
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw her live at The Great Escape - before her first album came out. Even then she was trying to come across as quirky, she came onto the stage and instantly took a dig at the previous act who played (a no, no at festivals) - they played a fair few cover version. Palumbo comes out and says unlike the previous act she has some of her own songs - I don't know if she was trying to be funny, but you don't do things like that and the small crowd didn't like it. Also a member of the previous band was at the bar (this took place at a pub venue) and once Palumbo had finished her first song he walked over the the stage and said something to her - she looked so embarrassed and the rest of her set was full of mistakes, the crowd also jeered her when she did actually perform a cover.

Her little rant about radio stations not playing her latest song sounds more of the same attitude.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Her new song isn't very good personally and that's why radios are not playing it. Regardless of talent, radio stations play songs they personally think are good.

What on earth makes her think this could be her last album due to lack of airlay and interest? By that comment, it suggests to me she is only releasing music so it can sell and chart well, not so she can release music she is passionate about and that her established fanbase will already like.
  • kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like the song either. It's irritating and it sounds too much like Blurred Lines (which I also hate). People are always quick to blame radio snubs on ageism, personal grudges or politics, but maybe the people in charge of the playlist just don't like the song?

I'm still looking forward to the album though. I'm thinking they only went with Can't Rely On You because it was produced by Pharrell, and there's probably much better songs on the album.
  • Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that 'Can't Rely On You' was probably chosen because of Pharrell.

I don't think it's fair to say that all she cares about is chart sales because I think every artist is the same (it just depends on how vocal they are on it).
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Diane_Rob wrote: »
    I agree that 'Can't Rely On You' was probably chosen because of Pharrell.

I don't think it's fair to say that all she cares about is chart sales because I think every artist is the same (it just depends on how vocal they are on it).

I don't believe every artist out there. There are loads of artists who release music regardless of sales and chart positions. They do this because it's something they love and want to share with the world. Plus it's their job and their passion, and don't need to be dictated by positions and sales in order to carry it on. It's the same with quite a few Film Director's as well.
  • allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a huge Paloma fan I think it is a shame but what promotion has she done this week?
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rocketpop wrote: »
    I saw her live at The Great Escape - before her first album came out. Even then she was trying to come across as quirky, she came onto the stage and instantly took a dig at the previous act who played (a no, no at festivals) - they played a fair few cover version. Palumbo comes out and says unlike the previous act she has some of her own songs - I don't know if she was trying to be funny, but you don't do things like that and the small crowd didn't like it. Also a member of the previous band was at the bar (this took place at a pub venue) and once Palumbo had finished her first song he walked over the the stage and said something to her - she looked so embarrassed and the rest of her set was full of mistakes, the crowd also jeered her when she did actually perform a cover.

Her little rant about radio stations not playing her latest song sounds more of the same attitude.

She sometimes comes accross as a little cocky/arrogant in my opinion.

However- that doesnt detract from the fact that she has talent. Talented people arent necessarily super nice.

I think the whole "this is my last album" thing is her being a drama Queen, her last 2 albums sold very well & I doubt that if her album performed less well than the previous 2 then she would be dropped. They'd probably allow for this album & the next before getting rid, unless this one bombed mega hard (wont happen).
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Diane_Rob wrote: »
    Just been reading a few of Paloma's recent tweets (and also an interview she gave a few weeks ago), she said she's more than aware that this could be her last album due to lack of airplay and just general lack of interest, which I thought was brave of her to admit.

It makes me sad to think that this particular artist (there are others but just using Paloma Faith as an example) are basically being pushed out for the generic claptrap that is only successful because of it's 'radio friendly' approach. In my personal opinion, artists like Tinie Tempah, One Direction, Pitbull etc etc are good at producing singles and stuff for radio, but that's about it.

I admit that maybe Paloma's new single 'Can't Rely On You' was a risky choice as a single from the new album but her first two albums are stunning, very artistic in approach. Mind you in all fairness she has always sold albums much better than singles but still.

I swear the music industry has gone down the pan.

The music "industry", when it was run by musicians for musicians, went down the pan when it became the music "business" and was then run by accountants only interested in profits.

Those at the top today only have one interest in music: How much profit will it make.
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rocketpop wrote: »

Oh wow I was there when that happened! But it wasn't actually a member of the previous band who went up to her, it was a member of the organisation team who told her to apologize for her rude comment about the previous band or get of the stage. That's why she was embarrassed I think, basically she'd been told off like a naughty school girl. And yes her performance after that was really ropey and she lost the crowd, I've been going to The Great Escape for the last 5 years and seen well over 100 acts in that time and she was definitely in the bottom 5.

As for the woman herself I'm not a fan. The first album was just about tolerable but for her second album she jumped on the adult contemporary Adele bandwagon and that made for an utterly boring set of songs. Now she's working with Pharrell for this new song/album it just feels like she sides with whatever is popular at the time. For all the quirky 'personality' her music lacks any uniqueness.
  • DumdedumdumDumdedumdum Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The music "industry", when it was run by musicians for musicians, went down the pan when it became the music "business" and was then run by accountants only interested in profits.

Those at the top today only have one interest in music: How much profit will it make.

I see comments like this a lot and I wonder what labels/acts/eras you are referring to when you say it used to be all about the music. Because mainstream music has always tended to be easy listening genre, not particularly daring and calculated to win a big audience (and make large profits). The lyrics are fairly generic to maximise the audience being able to connect to them (i.e. heartbreak, falling in love, let's boogie). The Motown girl groups are clearly superior to most modern day girl groups e.g. Atomic Kitten, but there was also a lot of crap that was churned out and played on repeat on the radio. History has just forgotten about them. Things like making artists dress a certain way, hiring songwriters to write catchy songs (e.g. Burt Bacharach) and hiding anything outrageous (drugs, homosexuality) were de rigeur and very much based on ensuring profits (or just recouping costs). The formula hasn't changed very much except now album sales are down across the board. The listeners of Radio 2 actually buy albums, rather than streaming them on Spotify. But often what profits there are get funnelled into A&R and launching more exciting and risky acts. And labels have also taken risks and pushed artists they are excited about - for example, Nat King Cole had to wear heavy white make up in his first TV appearances but the label could have not taken him on at all. You'd be surprised how many contemporary artists wouldn't have had a shot at success 30 years ago (most female ones probably).

Same for movies - the profits made from World War Z enable Brad Pitt's production company to make many more 12 Years A Slaves. Air Force One funded Gary Oldman's Nil By Mouth.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see comments like this a lot and I wonder what labels/acts/eras you are referring to when you say it used to be all about the music. ...

In the 1950s, '60s, and '70s the major record labels were run by the musicians of the 1930s and '40s. They understood the indistry and knew it could take two or three albums to establish an artist but the long term rewards would more than cover their investment.

Today with the accountants running the indistry it is all about short-term, risk averse, success, there is no thought given to developing an act over a number of years for long term revenue generation. If an artist today, especially in genres like pop music, fail to deliver the expected returns from their latest single or album they are almost certainly dropped very quickly.
  • That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The song is just awful and doesn't make sense considering her last 2 albums.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i can't even remember what her music sounds like. i know her more from appearances in places than her actual music. which isn't really a good start. i saw her the other week at a gig in camden (she wasn't performing) with her backing singer who has her own solo career. i saw her at another gig in camden a few days later.

the thing is, if you are remember more for your image than your music, it's not a good sign for your music. to many she's the woman with the fruitbowl on her head and they couldn't name a single song. maybe her next record will change that
  • mevilhoneymevilhoney Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=unique;71606902]i can't even remember what her music sounds like. i know her more from appearances in places than her actual music. which isn't really a good start. i saw her the other week at a gig in camden (she wasn't performing) with her backing singer who has her own solo career. i saw her at another gig in camden a few days later.

the thing is, if you are remember more for your image than your music, it's not a good sign for your music. to many she's the woman with the fruitbowl on her head and they couldn't name a single song. maybe her next record will change that[/QUOTE]

Thats what I feel like,but I thought Stone Cold Sober was a great single,and (I think) the follow up was something completely different (a torchy ballad about New York?). Now that`s years ago and not one of her singles have registered to me.and it`s only though the music press (regular monthly reader) that I know the titles of her albums.
    It`s like she just thinks she`s a star and that`s it, and the music don`t matter! There`s been some posts about the music industry and how it`s changed,but surely nothing can beat an artist releasing similar-sounding singles that define her personality,and when she gets a chance to publicise them and the albums she focusses on that in her media appearances.
    Marina and the Diamonds is a similar `of course I`m going to be a star,oh,now I`m a star,I don`t need to talk about the music,thank you!` performer. But they`re never as big as they think they are!
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mentioning Stone Cold Sober and New York makes me feel nostalgic
  • mevilhoneymevilhoney Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Mentioning Stone Cold Sober and New York makes me feel nostalgic

That long ago,huh? :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    She sometimes comes accross as a little cocky/arrogant in my opinion.

However- that doesnt detract from the fact that she has talent. Talented people arent necessarily super nice.

I think the whole "this is my last album" thing is her being a drama Queen, her last 2 albums sold very well & I doubt that if her album performed less well than the previous 2 then she would be dropped. They'd probably allow for this album & the next before getting rid, unless this one bombed mega hard (wont happen).

She has an awful personality & attitude, rather off putting tbh
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mevilhoney wrote: »
    Thats what I feel like,but I thought Stone Cold Sober was a great single,and (I think) the follow up was something completely different (a torchy ballad about New York?). Now that`s years ago and not one of her singles have registered to me.and it`s only though the music press (regular monthly reader) that I know the titles of her albums.
    It`s like she just thinks she`s a star and that`s it, and the music don`t matter! There`s been some posts about the music industry and how it`s changed,but surely nothing can beat an artist releasing similar-sounding singles that define her personality,and when she gets a chance to publicise them and the albums she focusses on that in her media appearances.
    Marina and the Diamonds is a similar `of course I`m going to be a star,oh,now I`m a star,I don`t need to talk about the music,thank you!` performer. But they`re never as big as they think they are!

whatever happened to marina and the diamonds. i can't even remember the name of the "hit" track she did. it's like after florence and the machine the AR men went looking for other similar artists and those artists didn't have what made florence successful or they missed the point. just like history repeating itself
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the 1950s, '60s, and '70s the major record labels were run by the musicians of the 1930s and '40s. They understood the indistry and knew it could take two or three albums to establish an artist but the long term rewards would more than cover their investment.

Today with the accountants running the indistry it is all about short-term, risk averse, success, there is no thought given to developing an act over a number of years for long term revenue generation. If an artist today, especially in genres like pop music, fail to deliver the expected returns from their latest single or album they are almost certainly dropped very quickly.

That first paragraph is so untrue it's not even funny.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she is very opinionated, which does comes across as arrogant and she's forever putting her foot in it with some comment or another.:blush: all things considered, i don't think she's had much in the way of media training.:D she may take some comfort in the fact people don't find her as annoying as jessie j perhaps.:D

this airplay comment is particularly baffling though, because she gets so much support in the media elsewhere.:confused: songs like "upside down" and "just be" seem like much bigger hits than they were, because of them being used in programme trailers and then there's the john lewis commercial.:blush: she also gets high profile performance slots like "the voice", "the baftas" and "strictly". she's everywhere when she has a record to promote and while that is testament to her hard work, it also suggests she has a lot of support in terms of securing tv performance slots.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paloma Faith is an awful artist, I don't even know why she's even got this far . .
    A space cadet springs to mind . .
    I for one won't be sad if it's the last we hear from her . .
  • Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing with Paloma Faith is that she just is not likeable to non fans. I went off her during her time on an episode of britains next top model and what I have seen since hasnt undone that. There is cookie and then trying to be cookie, she tries to be cookie but comes off as bat shit mental.