Options

Sky change of encryption to HD channels.

leslie123leslie123 Posts: 2,507
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This has already been highlighted in the broadcasting forum recently. Firstly official subscribers with official Sky HD boxes are not affected with possibly the exception of viewers with old Thomson boxes. It is mainly people who are using illegal card sharing methods and those who have purchased illegal Skybox F5 receivers and the like from fly by night merchants.. Currently these changes to encryption are being partially rolled out with only certain channels affected. Channels such as Sky One HD, Sky Atlantic HD, Sky Arts HD , Syfy HD and Sky Movies HD channels. Undoubtably this change will be rolled out in full to all HD channels on Sky before long and especially designed to coincide with the issuing of new Sky viewing cards. All in all not a happy time for anyone thinking of purchasing any of these illegal boxes or indulging in illegal card sharing activities as they will surely lose money and feel that they have been ripped off. Furthermore you cannot complain to Trading Standards as you will receive no sympathy as it is an illegal activity. Be warned.

Comments

• Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe non-card sharing boxes are not illegal, as you are still paying for the subscription.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    I believe non-card sharing boxes are not illegal, as you are still paying for the subscription.

Nothing really wrong with that although I understand it is against Sky's Terms and conditions. Anyway Sky is not losing out financially. However non Sky boxes and cams may have difficulty in coping with these encryption changes.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leslie123 wrote: »
    Nothing really wrong with that although I understand it is against Sky's Terms and conditions. Anyway Sky is not losing out financially. However non Sky boxes and cams may have difficulty in coping with these encryption changes.

Yeah it's against Sky's T&Cs but you made it sound very illegal (which is different) in your OP. Non-Sky Boxes won't be able to Unencrypt due to these changes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    Yeah it's against Sky's T&Cs but you made it sound very illegal (which is different) in your OP. Non-Sky Boxes won't be able to Unencrypt due to these changes.

I did not wish to make it sound like a crime has been comitted. It is just that Sky is not keen on that sort of thing.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,528
    Forum Member
    I did not wish to make it sound like a crime has been comitted. It is just that Sky is not keen on that sort of thing.

Not only 'not keen', but also obliged to be 'not keen' :D

If they happened to find out the card would be killed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems that most of the HD channels have now had the encryption upgraded. Very few channels left that have not. Bad news for some.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not surprised as we have seen Sky gradually tightening down the hatch with each encryption upgrade.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if Sky will start using this encryption for the SD channels now, so they can tighten up even further.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    I wonder if Sky will start using this encryption for the SD channels now, so they can tighten up even further.

logistical reasons would rule that out.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,528
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    logistical reasons would rule that out.

The next card change (which is supposedly 'soon') would cure the problem anyway.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    It seems that most of the HD channels have now had the encryption upgraded. Very few channels left that have not. Bad news for some.

Its also had a drastic effect on torrent cappers (Recorders) as they're not able to cap the transport stream of HD channels with this move. Something Sky will be pleased about.
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Its also had a drastic effect on torrent cappers (Recorders) as they're not able to cap the transport stream of HD channels with this move. Something Sky will be pleased about.

Has it? Most of the US stuff is captured from US broadcasters because they at least play at the correct speed, plus of course they're usually shown there first.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Has it? Most of the US stuff is captured from US broadcasters because they at least play at the correct speed, plus of course they're usually shown there first.

In the UK i mean.
    And alot is capped from Canadian TV because its less Secure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah but what I mean is that any caps made in this country is pretty much restricted to UK shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah but what I mean is that any caps made in this country is pretty much restricted to UK shows.

Oh yes, of course :)
    But anything original on Sky channels, Watch, Dave, Channel 5, ITV 2, 3, 4 & Encore, Discovery, Sky Sports HD channels etc will be very affected by it.
    And its alot of content when you think about it
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    This has already been highlighted in the broadcasting forum recently. Firstly official subscribers with official Sky HD boxes are not affected with possibly the exception of viewers with old Thomson boxes. It is mainly people who are using illegal card sharing methods and those who have purchased illegal Skybox F5 receivers and the like from fly by night merchants.. Currently these changes to encryption are being partially rolled out with only certain channels affected. Channels such as Sky One HD, Sky Atlantic HD, Sky Arts HD , Syfy HD and Sky Movies HD channels. Undoubtably this change will be rolled out in full to all HD channels on Sky before long and especially designed to coincide with the issuing of new Sky viewing cards. All in all not a happy time for anyone thinking of purchasing any of these illegal boxes or indulging in illegal card sharing activities as they will surely lose money and feel that they have been ripped off. Furthermore you cannot complain to Trading Standards as you will receive no sympathy as it is an illegal activity. Be warned.

The boxes are not illegal, its what you could potentially do with them that is.

I have ordered an f5 box but not for viewing sky tv, but for another purpose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »

No doubt they would like to however the older non HD boxes probably would not be able to cope. The only way they could consider this is if they were to start a programme of swapping out older boxes for new HD boxes, something that is liable to be long and drawn out and very expensive. In the short term, the introduction of new viewing cards would cause major disruption to operators of card sharing servers but after a short period of time they would be able to catch up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    homer2012 wrote: »
    The boxes are not illegal, its what you could potentially do with them that is.

I have ordered an f5 box but not for viewing sky tv, but for another purpose.

That is fair enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No doubt they would like to however the older non HD boxes probably would not be able to cope. The only way they could consider this is if they were to start a programme of swapping out older boxes for new HD boxes, something that is liable to be long and drawn out and very expensive. In the short term, the introduction of new viewing cards would cause major disruption to operators of card sharing servers but after a short period of time they would be able to catch up.

How about Sky introducing the new encryption for premium channels only then? So Sports, Movies and basically anything above the Variety Pack Sub?
    I know that would mean the old boxes would only get FTA, FTV, Original and Variety, but that would be a heck of a lot cheaper than swapping every old box at once!
  • Options
    simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No doubt they would like to however the older non HD boxes probably would not be able to cope. The only way they could consider this is if they were to start a programme of swapping out older boxes for new HD boxes, something that is liable to be long and drawn out and very expensive.
    They swapped out over 600,000 Thomson HD boxes so it depends on how many of the old SD boxes are still in circulation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simon194 wrote: »
    They swapped out over 600,000 Thomson HD boxes so it depends on how many of the old SD boxes are still in circulation.

the first step is to stop any new pairings with SD only boxes! (and I know they dont distribute the SD only boxes now Im talking about for multiroom use if people have an old box they want to use instead of a new one).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member

In Germany, they are also trying to force users to only use Sky boxes (obviously providing the latest technology - i.e. the cheapest crap they can deliver), and give up the Sat receivers that have been traditionally used in Germany for decades.

Lots of users banding together to take Sky to court - many of them still on the original Premiere agreement (Sky's predecessor) when they basically supplied cards only.

It will be interesting ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame Sky UK doesn't give their customers that choice. :(
  • Options
    NsewellNsewell Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Paid for by the court case they won against an undisclosed STB manufacturer.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame Sky UK doesn't give their customers that choice. :(

What choice?

Sky will supply card only, if you ask, you just need a compatible box to use it in.