Does leon's voice have any emotion?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peeves wrote: »
    Well he did get to pick one sing to sing in Week 7 and Week 8 and chose ones that were very similair to the other songs he sang on those weeks.

I wouldn't be too sure that any of the contestants actually picked what they wanted to sing ... not even on "own choice week" ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As you probably know, I also wasnt a fan of Leon on the show at all. The first week I thought he was dreadful beyond words and I really felt Kimberley was robbed having been the first on and ITV getting the times mixed up meaning alot of people missed her sing. Leon was a complete mess week 1 and at that stage deserved to go.

Leon did over the weeks slowly but steadyily improve. It was a shock win though and I think alot of people would agree. What helped him alot was the scottish fan base (although Ryd had the welsh) and the 15 minutes extra voting time he got. Rydians phone closed pretty much after his final performance. I do however think that Leon handled When You Believe better but thats saying something as I thought both sounded dreadful singing it. Terrible song choice which really only Niki could have handled.

Having heard Leons new single though it's slowly growing on me. The fact he was really dull on the show annoyed me no end but I will just forget all that and just listen to any new stuff I hear of his with an open mind.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well he did get to pick one sing to sing in Week 7 and Week 8 and chose ones that were very similair to the other songs he sang on those weeks.

Hmmm, well, yeah. But to be fair, I wonder how much of that was set to impress Simon and the style of singing that he so obviously preferred for Rhydian?

I guess much of this will transpire when Rhydian's album comes out. TBH, it will be very telling in terms of the direction Rhyd wants to go in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As you probably know, I also wasnt a fan of Leon on the show at all. The first week I thought he was dreadful beyond words and I really felt Kimberley was robbed having been the first on and ITV getting the times mixed up meaning alot of people missed her sing. Leon was a complete mess week 1 and at that stage deserved to go.

Leon did over the weeks slowly but steadyily improve. It was a shock win though and I think alot of people would agree. What helped him alot was the scottish fan base (although Ryd had the welsh) and the 15 minutes extra voting time he got. Rydians phone closed pretty much after his final performance. I do however think that Leon handled When You Believe better but thats saying something as I thought both sounded dreadful singing it. Terrible song choice which really only Niki could have handled.

Having heard Leons new single though it's slowly growing on me. The fact he was really dull on the show annoyed me no end but I will just forget all that and just listen to any new stuff I hear of his with an open mind.
    • Leon has many fans who are not Scottish. DS is a case in point.
    • The phone lines were open for both Leon and Rhyd at the beginning. Leon did not get extra time; this is a myth.
    • The lad is far from dull....I think he was just very nervous during the live shows. He is really quite a wit...full of carry on. ;)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ohh, looks like we'll be disagreeing here for the first time. :p

I got bored of Rhydian by Week 5. It was just the same boring over the top stuff every single week. Aside from his gimmick performances (Phantom of the Opera and Get This Party Started) I thought he was very plain.

Good voice. Talented. But dull as dishwater and absolutely zero personality.
    I don't want to disagree with you Peeves because we agree on pretty much everything else (:p) but that's exactly what I'd say about Leon. :o

Ah well, I was a Same Difference fan and they obviously didn't do as well as Leon, so what do I know. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ZipGypsy wrote: »
    Hmmm, well, yeah. But to be fair, I wonder how much of that was set to impress Simon and the style of singing that he so obviously preferred for Rhydian?

I guess much of this will transpire when Rhydian's album comes out. TBH, it will be very telling in terms of the direction Rhyd wants to go in.

It may or may not be telling...sadly.....:(

Rhyd is on record somewhere as saying that the album would be a "compromise".

I guess that all first albums are - especially if they are as highly managed as Rhyd's and Leon's seem to be. I suspect that if both artists go to a second or third album, it is then that we will see their true style or direction. I expect they will have more say/input the more successful they become.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dundeemeg wrote: »
    It may or may not be telling...sadly.....:(

Rhyd is on record somewhere as saying that the album would be a "compromise".

I guess that all first albums are - especially if they are as highly managed as Rhyd's and Leon's seem to be. I suspect that if both artists go to a second or third album, it is then that we will see their true style or direction. I expect they will have more say/input the more successful they become.

I'm genuinely interested in what Rhyd will be doing. In looking at the track listing for Leon's album (and having heard a bit of the original material), as a Leon fan, it's pretty much what I would have expected. :)

With Rhyd...I think there could be more surprises? I guess it will be about how much cross over between genres there will be. I guess I'm saying that Rhyd's album is probably less predicatable than Leon's. If you know what I mean?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    • Leon has many fans who are not Scottish. DS is a case in point.
    • The phone lines were open for both Leon and Rhyd at the beginning. Leon did not get extra time; this is a myth.

Im aware of that but it can be quite a help. Very old subject but without Scotland backing the McDonald Brothers would they have come that far? But the same can be said for anyone from anywhere. Rhyd probably got alot of welsh behind him. If you like the person then fine, I just can't stand patriotic voting. I just vote for whoever the hell I like. Im english but im not gonna get behind every english person on the show.

Yes I know the lines were open at the beginning for both but alot of people would have waited for the final performances before voting. Leon sung his final song then a break. Rhydian sung his song and pretty soon after the lines closed. I just feel they could have filled in like another 15 minutes of talking to them both or whatever.
  • PeevesPeeves Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Holly Oaks wrote: »
    I don't want to disagree with you Peeves because we agree on pretty much everything else (:p) but that's exactly what I'd say about Leon. :o

Ah well, I was a Same Difference fan and they obviously didn't do as well as Leon, so what do I know. :D

I LOVED SAME DIFFERENCE! :eek:

And about the "personality" thing, I always saw Leon as the fun, young, cheeky Scot whereas I saw Rhydian as the boring Opera singer man. I did like some of Rhydian's performances (mainly the first four) but like I said before, it was just the same thing every week after Go West.
  • thmsthms Posts: 61,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm genuinely interested in what Rhyd will be doing. In looking at the track listing for Leon's album (and having heard a bit of the original material), as a Leon fan, it's pretty much what I would have expected. :)

With Rhyd...I think there could be more surprises? I guess it will be about how much cross over between genres there will be. I guess I'm saying that Rhyd's album is probably less predicatable than Leon's. If you know what I mean?

this where we disagree.. :D

i have absolutely no interest in what rhydian does
  • TigerpawsTigerpaws Posts: 11,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im aware of that but it can be quite a help. Very old subject but without Scotland backing the McDonald Brothers would they have come that far? But the same can be said for anyone from anywhere. Rhyd probably got alot of welsh behind him. If you like the person then fine, I just can't stand patriotic voting. I just vote for whoever the hell I like. Im english but im not gonna get behind every english person on the show.

Yes I know the lines were open at the beginning for both but alot of people would have waited for the final performances before voting. Leon sung his final song then a break. Rhydian sung his song and pretty soon after the lines closed. I just feel they could have filled in like another 15 minutes of talking to them both or whatever.

Honestly I doubt this is the case the majority of voters would have voted throughout the show not left it right till the end, many have claimed that Simon knew Leon had won before Rhydian had even sung so now matter how long the phone lines were open for by the sounds of it wouldnt have made a difference.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It would be nice if it were! :D

I'm currently having nightmares about a potential endless succession of mushy ballads especially for Simon's mum! :eek:

I want to see some Showman Rhyd too!

(Sorry - this is OT :o)
  • TigerpawsTigerpaws Posts: 11,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be nice if it were! :D

I'm currently having nightmares about a potential endless succession of mushy ballads especially for Simon's mum! :eek:

I want to see some Showman Rhyd too!

(Sorry - this is OT :o)

Sadly I think it will be serious Rhyd - no single is kind of what makes me think this - and I do think that would be a real shame, hope i'm wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tigerpaws wrote: »
    Sadly I think it will be serious Rhyd - no single is kind of what makes me think this - and I do think that would be a real shame, hope i'm wrong.

It can't be all serious Rhyd - it can't be, it can't be!!! :(:(:(

I too will be disappointed if it's all serious. Rhyd is a showman - and it's a wasted opportunity imho if they don't take advantage of that. :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is interesting.

One the one hand you suggest that Scottish and Welsh people are more likely to vote based on nationality.

On the other, you suggest that it was unfair to open voting lines until after both boys had sung.

Surely, if, as you say people will prefer to leave the voting until the end of the performances, then this will be about voting for who was best in their opinion?

However, if people are voting based on nationality, this wouldn't matter, would it? People wouldn't need to wait, since they would have made their minds up before either act had sung.

As for the MacDonald Bros...why didn't they just win, then? If it's a Scottish nationalistic vote, then the opinion of many (that they were bad) wouldn't matter. Similarly, there have been several Scottish XF contestants who didn't win. If you are right, Scotland would scoop the XF prize any year a Scot was in it.

As for the MacDonalds being in so long, how did Ray manage to stay in XF 4 so long? How did Chico?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thms wrote: »
    this where we disagree.. :D

i have absolutely no interest in what rhydian does

:p:p Tsk! LOL
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,450
    Forum Member
    It can't be all serious Rhyd - it can't be, it can't be!!! :(:(:(

I too will be disappointed if it's all serious. Rhyd is a showman - and it's a wasted opportunity imho if they don't take advantage of that. :mad:

I think that he'll have a few lively pieces, theatrical or other and still be considered classical cross-over.
  • jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Leon has bundles of emotion in his voice that is the first thing I noticed about him and why I followed him all through lasts years X factor and watched him win.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is interesting.

One the one hand you suggest that Scottish and Welsh people are more likely to vote based on nationality.

On the other, you suggest that it was unfair to open voting lines until after both boys had sung.

Surely, if, as you say people will prefer to leave the voting until the end of the performances, then this will be about voting for who was best in their opinion?

However, if people are voting based on nationality, this wouldn't matter, would it? People wouldn't need to wait, since they would have made their minds up before either act had sung.

As for the MacDonald Bros...why didn't they just win, then? If it's a Scottish nationalistic vote, then the opinion of many (that they were bad) wouldn't matter. Similarly, there have been several Scottish XF contestants who didn't win. If you are right, Scotland would scoop the XF prize any year a Scot was in it.

As for the MacDonalds being in so long, how did Ray manage to stay in XF 4 so long? How did Chico?

Well yes of course there are people who would have made there mind up already, there are also people, alot of whom more casual viewers who might just have a sudden urge to vote.

I never even thought about waiting to open the lines until both had sung what a fabulous idea that would have been. I was actually just thinking it's abit unfair the lines closed straight after rhydians performance but I like what you said very much. They should have done it that way.

The McDonald's got to far in my and many other peoples opinion. The reason other X Factor Scotts have not done as well is because they have been women. Women make up the largest voters. Women like boys. There we go, easy to work out. Ray came 2nd for that very fact. Cute little boy. I actually think Leon is a much better singer than Ray although Ray had a bigger personality. Chico got far because of his novelty and fun factor and the same can be said for Same Difference.
  • RitaRavioliRitaRavioli Posts: 542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chi wrote: »
    DNFTT:rolleyes:

Excuse me? I find that offensive and a personal attack.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The McDonald's got to far in my and many other peoples opinion. The reason other X Factor Scotts have not done as well is because they have been women. Women make up the largest voters. Women like boys. There we go, easy to work out. Ray came 2nd for that very fact. Cute little boy. I actually think Leon is a much better singer than Ray although Ray had a bigger personality. Chico got far because of his novelty and fun factor and the same can be said for Same Difference.

So, if you are a Scottish male, you will do well in the XF? :D Still doesn't explain the MacD's though, eh?
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can we drop this cr*p about the voting lines...Ofcom said it made no difference and if anything Leon marginally lost out more. I'm sick to my back teeth of it being raised, especially in a thread that has nothing to do with it!!!
  • RitaRavioliRitaRavioli Posts: 542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember when Leon was on , it was time to put the kettle on or pur another drink. He bored me to tears much like Andy from the previous year. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Can we drop this cr*p about the voting lines...Ofcom said it made no difference and if anything Leon marginally lost out more. I'm sick to my back teeth of it being raised, especially in a thread that has nothing to do with it!!!

Yeah....I agree. ;) Well, I would though...:D It would seem, however, that people are still trying to undermine the legitimacy of Leon's win by various suggestions about who voted for him and why. Couple that with the whole mythology about the voting lines and booomf! Here we go again. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, if you are a Scottish male, you will do well in the XF? :D Still doesn't explain the MacD's though, eh?

Pardon? It does explain the McDonalds. They did well in X Factor as they were Scottish males.