Stewart Lee-like/hate?

Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
Forum Member
✭✭
I had heard of Stewart Lee, but, not watching much telly, had not watched any of his stuff until I saw a sketch on YouTube in which he lampooned the hysteria around Princess Di. I saw this around the end of last year, and thought it was really funny, but did not see any of his other stuff until I watched both series of Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle on YouTube, recently. Now, I am a confirmed fan of his.

Does anyone else rate him? Alternatively, anyone else strongly not a fan?

Comments

• Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    He's pretentious but occasionally insightful.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's pretentious but occasionally insightful.

How is he 'pretentious'?
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love him. Have seen him live several times, including at The Stand in Edinburgh. He is fabulous.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Sweaty. Looks like a darts player.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    How is he 'pretentious'?

He can come across as being up his own arse, smug, and convinced of the superiority of his arguments. It's a common thing in "alternative" comedy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nicola_T wrote: »
    Sweaty. Looks like a darts player.

And his comedy...?
  • Charles IICharles II Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..I always get him and Lee Mack confused.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I've liked him since his lee and herring days with Richard herring. Quality stuff.
  • Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of our best.

Clever 3 part joke all linked in together: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw4r0yUmXVg
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Love him. One of the best comedians working.
  • Rose*~*Rose*~* Posts: 7,008
    Forum Member
    I went to see him last Friday not knowing his work too well and I thought he was brilliant. My face ached from laughing.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    One of our best.

Clever 3 part joke all linked in together: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw4r0yUmXVg

Good clip, featuring as it does yet another mention for 'Ian', a name he has used in may things.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    His old stuff is good. His recent work is butt-clenchingly awful. He has this thing of trying to make his audience feel as uncomfortable as possible.

And he is definitely pretentious. I caught a radio show where he was going on about European free improvisation jazz and was being totally inaccessible.
  • Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Love him :)

I liked him from his Fist Of Fun days with Richard Herring and got back into him a couple of years ago when I saw the first series of Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle. I've since seen him live three times - although the last was disappointing as he was clearly trying material for a new show and read from notes the whole time :eek: - but he is the one man who can reduce me to proper heart thumping, eye watering, unable to breathe hysterics.

I read his book (How I Escaped My Certain Fate) on holiday last year - which contained transcripts from three different live shows - and people strolling past must have thought I was crazy creased up laughing on my veranda.

I appreciate how people could think he was pretentious - a lad I work with, who I thought would really get him just didn't like him at all even though that's his style of humour - but I find him very clever and a lot of it, especially the long pauses, is designed to make you feel uncomfortable. That's part of his genius.

So many favourite bits but the ones that still proper crack me up are the Ang Lee interview, Carphone Warehouse manifesto, Tom O'Connor and the sardine joke and Del Boy Falling Through The Bar ("but it's Del Boy Stew and he fell through the bar" - I literally did stop breathing for a bit with that one)

Long live "crumpled Morrisey" :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like Stewart Lee, even though I feel like I'm too stupid to be part of his fanbase sometimes :o

I met him after his show in Wolverhampton in May and he was lovely :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the moments that has made me laugh the most, from him, is when he's talking, sarcastically, about Del Boy falling through the bar, on Only Fools & Horses, as the nation's most treasured comedy moments, and he pretends to fall on his side, like David Jason did, then, lying there, with the microphone, he does that silly little mocking laugh, and goes, 'Hee hee hee! Del Boy just fell over! Hee hee hee-and Trigger pulled a funny face!' It's not the most sophisticated bit of comedy from him, but it's just the sheer mocking sarcasm of all that makes it so funny, for me! Remember that sketch on Comedy Vehicle, that he accompanied that routine with, in which the village have a ceremony marking that moment, in which a giant Del Boy is released to fall sideways through a giant wooden frame, symbolising the bar, at night time, to cheers from a watching crowd!
  • Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    One of the moments that has made me laugh the most, from him, is when he's talking, sarcastically, about Del Boy falling through the bar, on Only Fools & Horses, as the nation's most treasured comedy moments, and he pretends to fall on his side, like David Jason did, then, lying there, with the microphone, he does that silly little mocking laugh, and goes, 'Hee hee hee! Del Boy just fell over! Hee hee hee-and Trigger pulled a funny face!' It's not the most sophisticated bit of comedy from him, but it's just the sheer mocking sarcasm of all that makes it so funny, for me! Remember that sketch on Comedy Vehicle, that he accompanied that routine with, in which the village have a ceremony marking that moment, in which a giant Del Boy is released to fall sideways through a giant wooden frame, symbolising the bar, at night time, to cheers from a watching crowd!

I feel the need to rewatch this again right now! :D
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love him. Have seen him live several times, including at The Stand in Edinburgh. He is fabulous.

"If You Prefer A Milder Comedian Please Ask For One" at the Stand was the best stand up performance I've ever seen, and I've seen hundreds.
  • Super_FurrySuper_Furry Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a big fan - ever since the Lionel Nimrod days.

I think a lot of people confuse Stewart Lee the person with Stewart Lee the comedian though.

There is a huge difference between the two.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's very very good.

He's confident in his ability shall we say, but no one even touches what he does.

His skit on Russell Howard & Charity work was excellent
  • FatsiaFatsia Posts: 1,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I struggle a bit with him, to be honest. I also find him a bit smug and some of his wit may be a bit too intellectual for me, but it's more that I find him discomfiting to watch. I loved the Sunday morning show he used to do with Herring (especially Histor's Eye - "I have never bird egg wing" - we still say that in my house :o) but I tried watching the Comedy Vehicle and it just made me feel uneasy to watch, almost in the way Ricky Gervais makes me feel uncomfortable. Having said that, I have read transcripts of his act and absolutely cracked up laughing, so I think it must be something in his demeanour that I'm reacting to?
    I guess what I'm saying is yes he's funny, but I don't like him! :confused::)
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get his humour. Probably too intellectual for me!