Options

Great British Bake Off Series 3

Comments

• Options
    Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've realised that Cathryn is my favourite now. I like her offbeat style of cooking and everything she's made always looks very nice.

James is my second favourite but it seems he's losing it a bit now. I am pleased with Sarah-Jane and Ryan going, they were the two most out of their depth.
  • Options
    MelodyMakerMelodyMaker Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tissy wrote: »
    I`m the opposite - disliking Brendan more and more - he appears the smug one to me and I`m liking Danny more.

Pleased she came top last night :)

I'm finding it really difficult to know how to write this without making a personal comment on personality - I really don't like it when others do it so why should I???

I'm not a big fan of Brendan's style, I'm sure his bakes are lovely but I don't necessarily always want to eat them..........and he's the only one that really does come across as being smug.....sorry :o

Although wouldn't be surprised if it's all down to the editing!
  • Options
    TissyTissy Posts: 45,748
    Forum Member
    I'm finding it really difficult to know how to write this without making a personal comment on personality - I really don't like it when others do it so why should I???

I'm not a big fan of Brendan's style, I'm sure his bakes are lovely but I don't necessarily always want to eat them..........and he's the only one that really does come across as being smug.....sorry :o

Although wouldn't be surprised if it's all down to the editing!

Lol don`t be sorry :)

When he`s explaining his technics I`m left wondering who thinks they are the professionals .. Paul, Mary or Brendan !
  • Options
    parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    The bare fact is Ryan has only made one really good round the whole series so far and he got star baker for it

Two, tbf, his lardy cakes from last night were roundly praised too. He's too inconsistent though.

It was nice to see Danny getting something other than a sour edit last night!
  • Options
    parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    Rorschach wrote: »
    Brendan looks the most comfortable going forward, but that could all be editing. They could be keeping his moments of stress off camera whilst highlighting Catherine's moments just to make her victory a better story. They have done that before after all with Jo.

Gawd, I hope Cathryn doesn't win. :-/ Jo was much better, Cathryn often falls a bit flat.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watching last night's episode. Jam doughnuts! Mmmmm.
  • Options
    stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's my ambition in life to date John.

Don't forget this was filmed when he was doing his final exams, so that could also account for a bit of a slump in performance. Let's hope his studies were not affected by the programme either :O
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah both John and James were doing exams at the time bake off was filmed - James has said previously there were weeks when he couldn't practise anything because he *had* to study.

I'd like Cathryn or James to win. Won't be upset if John or Danny wins.
  • Options
    RuthStarRuthStar Posts: 5,729
    Forum Member
    I personally want anyone but Brendan to win, Hes far too smug, I found myself rolling my eyes at his big "Celebration" bake last night..using moulds to make his cake look nice, didn't see anyone else doing that.
    I personally like everyone thats left aside from Brendan, I'll be so annoyed if he wins, hes always been good, I like watching something where you watch people improve week on week. I adore Cathryn, I think shes a generally nice woman, and shes my pick to win..
  • Options
    SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    As an aside, Rachel Allen's latest book - called 'Cake', no messing there - has an entire chapter of recipes for cakes to feed people who are gluten and/or dairy intolerant. Some of them look rather nice.
    I think the series to go with it starts soon on Good Food on Sky. Note she also has a book called 'Bake' but it's not that one I mean.

Busy last night (i know, sacrilege) so I've just caught up. Think the right two went. The bare fact is Ryan has only made one really good round the whole series so far and he got star baker for it, which even at the time I thought was a bit wrong. Roughly half his stuff seems to go utterly wrong and the rest is mostly just 'OK'. He seems like a decent bloke but he doesn't have near the skill of some of the others.

Sarah Jane I was a bit more surprised about. She does seem to know her stuff and obviously bakes quite a lot but like Victoria back in the distant past of episode 2, she had a weekend where absolutely nothing went right for her. You can get away with 3 bad rounds in maybe two weekends but you can't get away with three bad rounds the same weekend.

Sad to see them go as both seemed genuinely nice people. At the end of the day though it's a competition and there has to be a winner and there has to be a loser.

John seems to be the weakest one left now. Brendan is apparent favourite but I think they may expect more finesse in the grand final than his what you might call 'traditional' approach.

I've seen Rachel's programme on BBC a while ago. She's straight to the point no nonsense cook, minimal faffing about. I liked her. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gillypanda wrote: »
    I've just caught up too (I was ogling Will Young in Cabaret last night, and boy was he superb!)

I'm not surprised about Ryan, but sad about Sarah-Jane as she seems such a nice lady. I don't think Brendan will win overall, as he does seem a bit stuck in a time-warp, and the previous winners have gone to make careers from baking. I could be wrong though, maybe there's a niche for him.

SCD-O, I've got Paul's book and I really like it. I'm also spending time perfecting a white loaf, and he explains the stages clearly in it. I'm not so keen on the cake bit of his book, preferring Mary's books for that :)

Thank u for the mini review.:)
  • Options
    KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stu0rt wrote: »
    It's my ambition in life to date John.

Don't forget this was filmed when he was doing his final exams, so that could also account for a bit of a slump in performance. Let's hope his studies were not affected by the programme either :O

I'll fight you for him :p

... though I am interested in sharing :D;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will wrestle for James..bahahaha
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    rumtruffle wrote: »
    I will wrestle for James..bahahaha

I think he's taken - he mentioned his girlfriend when they were making strudel.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Yobaba** wrote: »
    I've realised that Cathryn is my favourite now. I like her offbeat style of cooking and everything she's made always looks very nice.

James is my second favourite but it seems he's losing it a bit now. I am pleased with Sarah-Jane and Ryan going, they were the two most out of their depth.
    Cathryn has always been my Favourite, but pleased Danny was the star this week....but a close one with Brendan.

Biscuits next week

love biscuits....:cool:
  • Options
    slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    Tissy wrote: »
    I`m the opposite - disliking Brendan more and more - he appears the smug one to me and I`m liking Danny more.

Pleased she came top last night :)
    I was pleased as well Danny has grown on me over the past few

dont yer just know that Brendan ginger bread house is going to get top marks next week
  • Options
    slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    RuthStar wrote: »
    I personally want anyone but Brendan to win, Hes far too smug, I found myself rolling my eyes at his big "Celebration" bake last night..using moulds to make his cake look nice, didn't see anyone else doing that.
    I personally like everyone thats left aside from Brendan, I'll be so annoyed if he wins, hes always been good, I like watching something where you watch people improve week on week. I adore Cathryn, I think shes a generally nice woman, and shes my pick to win..
    I bet he practiced that celebration cake a few times, I noticed in earlier episodes he was shown carrying the same bake to a friends house
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet he practiced that celebration cake a few times, I noticed in earlier episodes he was shown carrying the same bake to a friends house

And there is nothing wrong with that, if true. After all, you can practise all you want during the week leading up to the weekend challenge. He's retired, so he has more time to trial and error at home. Good for him, I say.
  • Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And there is nothing wrong with that, if true. After all, you can practise all you want during the week leading up to the weekend challenge. He's retired, so he has more time to trial and error at home. Good for him, I say.
    Besides, they often seem to have to make large batches of things - 24 buns, a dozen bread rolls, amounts like that. You could have one or two jammy doughnuts but they go off in a day, are you supposed to eat all 12 on your own?

OK, don't answer that.
    I've seen Rachel's programme on BBC a while ago. She's straight to the point no nonsense cook, minimal faffing about. I liked her. :)
    She's going for 'The Next Generation Delia Smith', definitely. In more ways than one :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aww I really like Brendan!!! Seems I'm in the minority though!! Cathryn seems to be growing on me though, I found her irritating at first. It always amuses me when she says "Oh my giddy aunt" Lol!
  • Options
    KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aww I really like Brendan!!! Seems I'm in the minority though!! Cathryn seems to be growing on me though, I found her irritating at first. It always amuses me when she says "Oh my giddy aunt" Lol!

I don't find Brenan particularly offensive. He seems like a nice man doing a decent job to me. Though I can easily picture him mixing some witch's brew and bitching with his friends while gathered round a 70s-style fondue set :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wept (not really) when James said he had a girlfriend.

I just want to know who wins. I can't wait more weeks. I need to know NOW hahaha

I feel today will be the day I crack and check who wins Masterchef Australia too...!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    rumtruffle wrote: »
    I wept (not really) when James said he had a girlfriend.

I just want to know who wins. I can't wait more weeks. I need to know NOW hahaha

I feel today will be the day I crack and check who wins Masterchef Australia too...!!!

But when we find out who wins there will be no more shows and that will be even worse.
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member

They all practise, they even state it while baking.

I just wish I could bake as well and as consistently as Brendan.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
This discussion has been closed.