Options

Gastric band update a year on :)

Comments

• Options
    euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    humdrummer wrote: »
    I was doing a late night surf the other day, I've become increasingly frustrated with my size and losing it seems to be much, much harder than say - 2 years ago.

Whilst googling I came upon a surgery site. It had a thing on it where you put your height and weight in, obviously the usual BMI stuff but, this was to see if you are eligible for surgery - I was really shocked to find out I am.

At under 5ft and weighing in at 13 stone I am dangerously obese. When I say that to my friends they are like 'No you're not!' but, according to the numbers I am. I'm not sure why I'm not losing like I used to and I am really considering surgery. I've had my thyroid checked etc. and all is ok. There appears to be no reason why I can't get on that positive cycle of weight loss like I used to, I just can't. I wouldn't mind but I am SO active! It's so frustrating to get on the scale and see no difference or gain! I log my food, I do alternatives, I'm doing all that is expected - eat less, move more....and I still look pregnant!

I am seriously considering getting a band.
    Congrats someone, on your great loss, I bet you feel fab :)

I don't understand why some doctors etc stick religiously to the BMI thing. It's well known that muscle weighs more than fat, I started going to the gym about 2 months ago, and I've gained weight, but lost inches off my chest, hips etc. My friend is also 'overweight' according to her dr, despite her having a low body fat percentage and practicly living in the gym.
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well done, your confidence must be sky high
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,253
    Forum Member
    I'm glad you feel good OP, - I am just about the weight you used to be, but I would be too frightened to undergo surgery like that.

What is it like having the band on, and what would happen if you were tempted to over eat or over drink?:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Julzei wrote: »
    How tall are you? Thats pretty good going anyway.

i am 5ft 6
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What advice have you come for?

It's good that you are happy but other than telling us you are happy I'm not sure what the purpose of the post is.

Sorry it was just an update:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ms Steak wrote: »
    Well done Someone :)

Thank you :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Julzei wrote: »
    Did you save up for the band and get it privately? I don't see how you can get a band from being 14 stone. Otherwise I'd be tempted to get one.

I paid for it myself best money i have ever spent
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iCandy77 wrote: »
    Will you be able to keep the weight off without the gastric band once you have it removed?

Gastric Bands are not removed
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then why risk your health for something which can be achieved through natural means?

Risk??? what risk do u mean
  • Options
    iCandy77iCandy77 Posts: 1,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know, someone else answered that question days ago
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WinterFire wrote: »
    I'm surprised at the negativity in this thread. I wish the OP congratulations for the weight loss and wish her success in maintaining her ideal weight.

Thank u
    I am ignoring the negative:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LIZALYNN wrote: »
    How lovely. Well done. And that is what would attract me to having a gastric band.
    In the past I have lost six stone, put it back on, four stone, put it all back on, five stone, put it back on and some.
    Basically I like eating goodies (or rather baddies.)
    My overweight body is my fault. Something will trigger a bout of depression and every time the weight piles back on because I eat for comfort.

That was my problem i could never keep it off :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    humdrummer wrote: »
    I was doing a late night surf the other day, I've become increasingly frustrated with my size and losing it seems to be much, much harder than say - 2 years ago.

Whilst googling I came upon a surgery site. It had a thing on it where you put your height and weight in, obviously the usual BMI stuff but, this was to see if you are eligible for surgery - I was really shocked to find out I am.

At under 5ft and weighing in at 13 stone I am dangerously obese. When I say that to my friends they are like 'No you're not!' but, according to the numbers I am. I'm not sure why I'm not losing like I used to and I am really considering surgery. I've had my thyroid checked etc. and all is ok. There appears to be no reason why I can't get on that positive cycle of weight loss like I used to, I just can't. I wouldn't mind but I am SO active! It's so frustrating to get on the scale and see no difference or gain! I log my food, I do alternatives, I'm doing all that is expected - eat less, move more....and I still look pregnant!

I am seriously considering getting a band.
    Congrats someone, on your great loss, I bet you feel fab :)

This was me a year ago i was ust so fed up i had to do something about it as didnt want to be fat forever

PM me is u want to chat x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad you feel good OP, - I am just about the weight you used to be, but I would be too frightened to undergo surgery like that.

What is it like having the band on, and what would happen if you were tempted to over eat or over drink?:confused:

The op is day surgery i had op at 11am and was home by 6pm
    i was back to work one week later and fine

i cannot over eat as i feel so full up i just stop

i eat 3 cup fulls of food per day and i only serve myself that amount

i never feel hungry so dont feel the need to snack

i use myfitnesspal to track my food and stick to about 1000cals per day
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    It comes back up. (I know someone who has had the operation.)

i have never been sick but i do eat slowly and chew well

I have never felt the urge to over eat
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    someone99 wrote: »
    Risk??? what risk do u mean

1 in every 2000 people who have this surgery dies.

Patients who are overweight or obese are at higher risk for complications related to anaesthetics.

Bleeding, blood clots, and infections, are all possible health risks associated with weight loss surgery. Gastric side effects could include nausea, vomiting, vitamin deficiencies, reflux, and leakage.

And it may not work. Patients who repeatedly overfill their stomach may experiencing a stretching of their stomach which allows them to eat larger portions of food.

As with all surgeries, scars are a possibility.

Excess skin is another potential risk which is caused by dramatic weight loss.

Each weight loss surgery carries its own specific health risks. A potential risk associated with gastric banding is band slippage. This is generally caused by overeating and can cause abdominal discomfort and vomiting.

Another procedure specific health risk is vitamin and mineral deficiencies. This is a risk associated with gastric bypass and is caused by the re-routing of the small intestine. The body’s ability to properly absorb food is inhibited, which can result in vitamin and mineral deficiencies. Patients can generally avoid deficiency by taking the dietary supplements agreed upon by their surgeon.
  • Options
    monkinomonkino Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every surgery carries risks, but then so does being overweight, so good for the OP for having it done and congratulations on the result. If we worried about risks all the time we would never catch a plane, cross the road, or leave the house!
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    monkino wrote: »
    Every surgery carries risks, but then so does being overweight, so good for the OP for having it done and congratulations on the result. If we worried about risks all the time we would never catch a plane, cross the road, or leave the house!

I agree. But that's not the same as saying 'risks, what risks' and pretending there aren't any.

Given that this lady was not exactly morbidly obese then the risks may well have outweighed the benefits.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1 in every 2000 people who have this surgery dies.

Patients who are overweight or obese are at higher risk for complications related to anaesthetics.

Bleeding, blood clots, and infections, are all possible health risks associated with weight loss surgery. Gastric side effects could include nausea, vomiting, vitamin deficiencies, reflux, and leakage.

And it may not work. Patients who repeatedly overfill their stomach may experiencing a stretching of their stomach which allows them to eat larger portions of food.

As with all surgeries, scars are a possibility.

Excess skin is another potential risk which is caused by dramatic weight loss.

Each weight loss surgery carries its own specific health risks. A potential risk associated with gastric banding is band slippage. This is generally caused by overeating and can cause abdominal discomfort and vomiting.

Another procedure specific health risk is vitamin and mineral deficiencies. This is a risk associated with gastric bypass and is caused by the re-routing of the small intestine. The body’s ability to properly absorb food is inhibited, which can result in vitamin and mineral deficiencies. Patients can generally avoid deficiency by taking the dietary supplements agreed upon by their surgeon.

1 in 2000 die:eek::eek::eek: where did u get that from lol

i had the Gastric band not the bypass !
  • Options
    ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who are these people saying she wasn't 'very' overweight??

14 stone is nearly twice my bodyweight (I'm 5'4"). Size 20 at 5'6" very large.

I've just checked and she was definitely in the 'obese' category. If not morbidly obese she still would have been at risk of high blood pressure, diabetes etc

Well done OP & ignore the moaners, that's an amazing achievement.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    Woot woot size 10 is a lovely size! :D

I'm battling to drop one size before my holiday; I have zero willpower! :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christa wrote: »
    Who are these people saying she wasn't 'very' overweight??

14 stone is nearly twice my bodyweight (I'm 5'4"). Size 20 at 5'6" very large.

I've just checked and she was definitely in the 'obese' category. If not morbidly obese she still would have been at risk of high blood pressure, diabetes etc

Well done OP & ignore the moaners, that's an amazing achievement.

I sometimes wonder if all the moaners are skinny ppl who dont have a clue:eek:
  • Options
    ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    someone99 wrote: »

I sometimes wonder if all the moaners are skinny ppl who dont have a clue:eek:

Nah they're probably just jealous.

I've never been on a diet in my life, perhaps that's why I'm impressed. Plus the fact that you've lost almost my entire weight - you were carrying a whole extra person around with you!
  • Options
    tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done OP. part of me would love one but too much of a chicken. I do often wonder about a virtual gastric band though. Not sure how much they cost.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tigragirl wrote: »
    Well done OP. part of me would love one but too much of a chicken. I do often wonder about a virtual gastric band though. Not sure how much they cost.

Mu friend had that and she lost nearly 2 stone but never managed to keep off for long