Options

1983 TV Drama Series - what was it? (Submarines)

ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
Forum Member
✭✭
Bit of a long shot, but I bet someone here knows! In December of 1983 (I was 11) we had been enjoying a drama series about a government cover up of a submarine (or possibly a naval warship?) that had sunk/gone missing. A mother of one of the missing sailors was pursuing the investigation, and I remember it getting quite dark and scary. The last episode was on the same night as my school carol concert and we missed it (no videos in those days!) and I've always wondered what happened in the end. I'd assumed we'd never know, but my mother has just reminded me of it, and I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask...

It was definitely on in December, I suppose could possibly have been 1982, but am 90% certain it was 1983, and I'm willing to bet it was on BBC, as we really weren't an ITV family.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    Bit of a long shot, but I bet someone here knows! In December of 1983 (I was 11) we had been enjoying a drama series about a government cover up of a submarine (or possibly a naval warship?) that had sunk/gone missing. A mother of one of the missing sailors was pursuing the investigation, and I remember it getting quite dark and scary. The last episode was on the same night as my school carol concert and we missed it (no videos in those days!) and I've always wondered what happened in the end. I'd assumed we'd never know, but my mother has just reminded me of it, and I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask...

It was definitely on in December, I suppose could possibly have been 1982, but am 90% certain it was 1983, and I'm willing to bet it was on BBC, as we really weren't an ITV family.

Any suggestions?

Sounds like it could have been "Spyship":

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0142054/

Loosely based on a real life incident - the sinking of the trawler Gaul in 1974.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh my god, it absolutely was that! I knew someone would know!

Thank you so much. I'm off on the hunt for a dvd/video/grainy You Tube upload now. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't find any dvds or videos or anything on YouTube, but I have found the book second hand on Amazon. It arrived today, and I'm loving it so far. Thanks for the help Glengavel!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Apologies for hijacking this thread, but since it worked for Elanor, and the series I'm thinking of was also (I'm pretty sure) in 1983, here goes.

OK, the reason I think it was 1983 is I recall it being on around the same time as The Consultant (BBC) starring Hywel Bennett, though I also recalled "Bird of Prey" (also BBC, starring Richard Griffiths) being around then too, though that was apparently 1982.

Anyway, the one I'm looking for was on ITV, pretty sure it was 4 parts, a thriller/conspiracy, and the bit I remember was some of the characters travelling the UK and tapping into trunk phone lines in some sort of abandoned building that the cables went through, under the floor.

Any suggestions?
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not that show but another, "Das Boot" a German programme about a German sub. was very good and could be re shown.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glengavel wrote: »
    Sounds like it could have been "Spyship":

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0142054/

Loosely based on a real life incident - the sinking of the trawler Gaul in 1974.
    Elanor wrote: »
    Oh my god, it absolutely was that! I knew someone would know!

Thank you so much. I'm off on the hunt for a dvd/video/grainy You Tube upload now. :D

Here's the DVD!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spyship-DVD-Tom-Wilkinson/dp/B00FQFIKDS