Options

How do you know you have a Nail Varnish problem?

Comments

• Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow! This was back on page 6! Doesn't anyone paint their nails any more?

Recently I've been doing marker pen nails.
    http://elanorsnails.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/blue-marker-pen-nails.html
    http://elanorsnails.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/marker-pen-alcohol-nails-orange-blend.html

Has anyone else here tried this?
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Love the blue Elanor!
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you!
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    I seem to be buying nail polishes a lot lately. I do them myself rather than pay weekly to get them done. I don't like false nails. Thankfully mine are strong :)

I've just painted mine dark blue.
  • Options
    BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just ordered all the stuff to do gel nails on eBay, I've had them done a few times and want to give it a go, I've got a lamp, base coat, top coat, the shine wipes, and 3 polishes on their way :)
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    has anyone tried the Barry M daylight curing nail polishes?
  • Options
    Miss C. DeVilleMiss C. DeVille Posts: 6,042
    Forum Member
    Does anyone here use water decals?
    I know it's cheating but I'm no good at free hand painting and these are so cheap, less than 10p for a complete manicure.
    These are some I did recently - https://d.gr-assets.com/photos/1414528354p8/1080957.jpg
    https://d.gr-assets.com/photos/1415140676p8/1084827.jpg
    https://d.gr-assets.com/photos/1414528294p8/1080956.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    duffsdad wrote: »

No...I've seen them in Superdrug and I would like to know too.
  • Options
    BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have 2 of them. I don't think they're as good as they're made out to be - they look like gel ones, but I've found them to dry a bit "bumpy" for want of a better word. They last a little bit longer I'd say, but only by about a day. I do bar work so normal nail polish doesn't even last a day with me, I can usually get halfway through a second shift before these chip but thats all.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you know if you don't have a nail varnish problem?
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Let us know how you get on Bethaneeny, I've looked at those too.

Have you seen those hideous bubble manicures? Whyyyyy?!
  • Options
    pinkbellybuttonpinkbellybutton Posts: 1,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been picking up nail varnishes when I've been away. I just got back from Sorrento with 2 bottles and I have to say, the quality of both are amazing. The coverage is nice, the drying time good. Nail varnish normally lasts well on me regardless, but one of them lasted the whole week without chipping. I also think back to the one I got in Amsterdam and it's the same. Are nail varnishes on the continent a lot better? All of the ones I got are made in the country I bought them in. Don't get me wrong, I love a bit of Barry M and think they are fantastic, but I can't help but notice how much better these ones are. It's not a price point thing either, I have bought more pricey nail varnishes that don't feel as good at these ones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've never tried any from the continent. The best ones I've found here are Miss Sporty, NYC, both from Superdrug and the ones from Claires, but I always wait till they're on sale. Oh...and also the Essence ones from Wilkinsons. The pound shop one aren't usually bad either.
  • Options
    SweetAngelxSweetAngelx Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    mimicole wrote: »
    I seem to be buying nail polishes a lot lately. I do them myself rather than pay weekly to get them done. I don't like false nails. Thankfully mine are strong :)

I've just painted mine dark blue.

Same here Mimi :)

Mine are a subtle shade of light pink at the moment but I always do my nails myself and maintain them every week. False nails don't appeal to me at all.

I use Sally Hansen Nail Strength products to keep them healthy and that seems to work, also a cuticle cream from Superdrug's range.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've never tried any from the continent. The best ones I've found here are Miss Sporty, NYC, both from Superdrug and the ones from Claires, but I always wait till they're on sale. Oh...and also the Essence ones from Wilkinsons. The pound shop one aren't usually bad either.

Sorry but I have to disagree.

I am not usually a snob but I cannot bear the really cheap nail varnishes. I used an MUA one which I believe was only a pound and despite using a base coat the red stained my nails for weeks.

Some of the budget brands like Barry M are fine but I find the very cheap ones really aren't worth the perceived money save as they are just a waste of money.

No.7 is my staple brand, handy as I use the three pound off vouchers :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

I am not usually a snob but I cannot bear the really cheap nail varnishes. I used an MUA one which I believe was only a pound and despite using a base coat the red stained my nails for weeks.

Some of the budget brands like Barry M are fine but I find the very cheap ones really aren't worth the perceived money save as they are just a waste of money.

I've got the Poundland Pretty denim effect one, which I found was good, also a red one of theirs which looks like a gel and only needed one coat. I usually use Sally Hansen Double Duty as a base/top coat and haven't had any problem with staining.

The nail varnishes that I thought would be good are the Avon ones, but I have to say I've been really disappointed with them for coverage etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I bought the No 7 gel look shine polish in Galaxy with my three pounds off voucher and on day five with no chips so really pleased. But it doesn't have the shiny gel effect I wanted. Avon's gel finish does but it never lasts more than day two without chips.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does anyone here use water decals?
    I know it's cheating but I'm no good at free hand painting and these are so cheap, less than 10p for a complete manicure.
    These are some I did recently - https://d.gr-assets.com/photos/1414528354p8/1080957.jpg
    https://d.gr-assets.com/photos/1415140676p8/1084827.jpg
    https://d.gr-assets.com/photos/1414528294p8/1080956.jpg

The pink roses in particular are lovely.

I salute you, I can't manage anything more complex than applying simple nail polish!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've got the Poundland Pretty denim effect one, which I found was good, also a red one of theirs which looks like a gel and only needed one coat. I usually use Sally Hansen Double Duty as a base/top coat and haven't had any problem with staining.

The nail varnishes that I thought would be good are the Avon ones, but I have to say I've been really disappointed with them for coverage etc.

Avon are woeful quality imo, tried them a year or so ago and never again.

Yes, Sally Hansen is an excellent for keeping stains at bay and it wasn't MUA that caused me the trouble (that is a pound nail polish in Superdrug which is actually pretty good), it was a brand called "Make up Gallery" that caused me the trouble. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I bought the No 7 gel look shine polish in Galaxy with my three pounds off voucher and on day five with no chips so really pleased. But it doesn't have the shiny gel effect I wanted. Avon's gel finish does but it never lasts more than day two without chips.

Revlon is another brand I find that is pretty chip resistant :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've never tried NYC but Miss Sporty and Claire's ones were awful for me. They chipped within hours. I have a glitter one and a teal type colour from poundland that are okay. I find LAcolours not too bad either.

Like I said though, it's not a price point thing. I have a No 7 on that maybe lasted 3 days before chipping, needed 4 coats and dried slow, a revlon one (not the poundstore excess stock or discontinued so the age or condition isn't a factor) that needed 3 coats and was never actually fully dry and dented everytime something touched it. Out of the ones I bought abroad, one was 7 euros, one was 4.75 euros and one was 2.50 euros...and the quality is near enough identical despite the price difference. They go on smooth, offer good coverage, dry quick. As much as I love Barry M, I always need at least 3 coats, they dry quick and last so not an issue. as such, just struck by the difference. Given the Gels are about £3.99 and the usual ones are £2.99 they aren't that different in price to 2 of the ones I bought abroad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've never tried NYC but Miss Sporty and Claire's ones were awful for me. They chipped within hours. I have a glitter one and a teal type colour from poundland that are okay. I find LAcolours not too bad either.

Like I said though, it's not a price point thing. I have a No 7 on that maybe lasted 3 days before chipping, needed 4 coats and dried slow, a revlon one (not the poundstore excess stock or discontinued so the age or condition isn't a factor) that needed 3 coats and was never actually fully dry and dented everytime something touched it. Out of the ones I bought abroad, one was 7 euros, one was 4.75 euros and one was 2.50 euros...and the quality is near enough identical despite the price difference. They go on smooth, offer good coverage, dry quick. As much as I love Barry M, I always need at least 3 coats, they dry quick and last so not an issue. as such, just struck by the difference. Given the Gels are about £3.99 and the usual ones are £2.99 they aren't that different in price to 2 of the ones I bought abroad.

I always buy Revlon at full price so shall be looking into this :blush:

Excess stock.. discontinued..sounds good to me :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always buy Revlon at full price so shall be looking into this :blush:

Excess stock.. discontinued..sounds good to me :p

I always see revlon polishes at poundland..I did buy one speed dry one. It really wasn't speed dry. It stayed quite soft for a long time. It hardened by the next morning, but obviously some of it smeared. I managed to smoosh and smooth it with my barry M topcoat. It was on my toes so it didn't matter too much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The pink roses in particular are lovely.

I salute you, I can't manage anything more complex than applying simple nail polish!

You should try them, they're really easy. If you wet your nail you can slide them round quite a bit till you get them in the right position. Then all you do is blot them dry and apply a top coat which melts the excess off the end of your nail.
    With a good top coat they last ages too. Sometimes mine last over two weeks and my nails start to grow out of them or I take them off because I've got fed up with them and fancy a change of pattern.
    I get mine from AliExpress and I got a hundred different sets for around £12. Can't moan about a full manicure that only costs about 12p. They do take about three weeks to arrive though. I must have about 300 sets now to choose from. I'm surprised none of the shops here sell them or if they do there's only a few patterns.
    Here's a link to some - 100 sheets for around £7 if anyone is interested.
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/100sheets-New-Nail-Art-Tips-Mixed-Flower-Sexy-Decals-Watermark-Tattoos-Nail-Water-Stickers-Full-Cover/32286843149.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.101.k4B6jb&ws_ab_test=201407_5,201444_5,201409_5
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should try them, they're really easy. If you wet your nail you can slide them round quite a bit till you get them in the right position. Then all you do is blot them dry and apply a top coat which melts the excess off the end of your nail.
    With a good top coat they last ages too. Sometimes mine last over two weeks and my nails start to grow out of them or I take them off because I've got fed up with them and fancy a change of pattern.
    I get mine from AliExpress and I got a hundred different sets for around £12. Can't moan about a full manicure that only costs about 12p. They do take about three weeks to arrive though. I must have about 300 sets now to choose from. I'm surprised none of the shops here sell them or if they do there's only a few patterns.
    Here's a link to some - 100 sheets for around £7 if anyone is interested.
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/100sheets-New-Nail-Art-Tips-Mixed-Flower-Sexy-Decals-Watermark-Tattoos-Nail-Water-Stickers-Full-Cover/32286843149.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.101.k4B6jb&ws_ab_test=201407_5,201444_5,201409_5

How do you find Aliexpress, I've seen a few things there I like. How do you pay?