Options

Anyone ever tempted to follow a particular career because of a TV programme

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,274
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When I was younger there was a television programme called The Paper Chase about a bunch of Harvard law students. It made me really, really want to study law at one stage (although luckily got sense. I would have been terrible at it).

Anyone else fall in love with the idea of a particular career because of a television programme?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I once saw a programme about Captain Methane. Thankfully I'm polite, I have a good diet and my wife is handy with a baseball bat !

:eek:
  • Options
    L.O.V.EL.O.V.E Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    Always wanted to a be a chef after endlessly watching ramsey, jamie etc

Recently started watching Ace of Cakes and i would love to be able to make cakes like them
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnny Ball's shows defiinitely sparked an interest in numbers and science in a lot of us and is the reason alot of people became engineers and scientists.

We need him back to encourage the next generation too.
  • Options
    crystal_methcrystal_meth Posts: 8,379
    Forum Member
    I'm really suggestible. If I watch Scrubs I want to be a doctor, detective film I want to be a Private Eye, animal programmes and I'm practically enrolling to be a Vet, gardening shows I'm thinking ooo horticulture could be for me, home improvement I'm already designing my Interior Design cards ... ! And on it goes.....

At no point in time however has the urge to be doing the job of anyone in a soap happened. Or being a police officer.
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wanted to be a gypsy after watching Kizzy...I'm not..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    yer currently I'm having an identity crisis. I realised my main reasons for wanting to be a doctor were because of my addiction to the tv shows scrubs and casualty, neither which show the reality of working in an ed :P But then after watching luther i really want to be a detective... a mavoric detective at that :D x
  • Options
    crystal_methcrystal_meth Posts: 8,379
    Forum Member
    yer currently I'm having an identity crisis. I realised my main reasons for wanting to be a doctor were because of my addiction to the tv shows scrubs and casualty, neither which show the reality of working in an ed :P But then after watching luther i really want to be a detective... a mavoric detective at that :D x

We should form a support group! Or am I just thinking that cos i'v watched too many episodes of Celebrity Rehab :confused::D
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God help those who after watching so many different related drama series, decide they want to go into any level of forensic medicine.

It was over-subscribed fifteen years ago.
    Few opportunities, poor pay and it "ain't like it is on the telly."
  • Options
    jde-tvjde-tv Posts: 4,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When ever i watch greys anatomy i want to be a dr... but obv im not stupid enough to try it, deffo not smart enough!!

Watching an episode of gilmore girls did make me realise that i wasnt to be an events manager though... and thats what im going to do in September.

I want to work in Events in hotels, thanks to Hotel Babylon and Las Vegas ;)
  • Options
    Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    Screenwriter, but I guess that's not what you meant.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    CNBC news reporter, but I don't think that counts.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One Foot in the Grave just made me look forward to retirement. Imagine - being grumpy all day and no boss to complain! heaven!
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was younger there was a television programme called The Paper Chase about a bunch of Harvard law students. It made me really, really want to study law at one stage (although luckily got sense. I would have been terrible at it).

Anyone else fall in love with the idea of a particular career because of a television programme?

I always wanted to be a Private Detective (I always loved researching things) - it did seem dangerous though and I wouldn't know where to start. TV can make even the most mundane job appear glamorous at times.
  • Options
    Serenity79Serenity79 Posts: 1,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    L.O.V.E wrote: »

Recently started watching Ace of Cakes and i would love to be able to make cakes like them

Lol, me too!! I love that show and would love to be able to create the amazing cakes they do!!
  • Options
    cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two of my all time fav shows are Frasier and Dexter. So I should have a radio job by day and be a serial killer at night. Only one came true; now where did I put my carving knife.....
  • Options
    richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was told I had a singing voice like a cat in a mangle, but after seeing similarly awful singers on The X Talent Britain's Factor Got I renewed my quest to be Perthshire's very own Celine Dion......
  • Options
    Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    Somebody I knew joined the army just because he really loved Soldier Soldier.

A friend of mine, who had absolutely no interest in wine, started buying boxes of the stuff ( he was unemployed at the time and in debt ) online, and reading about it, just because he went to the cinema with me, to watch Sideways.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always loved Last of the Summer Wine, and I'm slowly turning into Compo. :o
  • Options
    japarajapara Posts: 1,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After watching early programmes of pet rescue I did some voluntary work at my local animal shelter and became the manager I later appeared on pet rescue myself.
  • Options
    MissjefMissjef Posts: 2,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've gone through so many phases of wanting different jobs due to tv programs...
    Surgeon due to watching Grey s Anatomy..
    Behaviour Analyst Unit of the FBI form watching Criminal Minds.

I've always had a bit of a morbid taste in careers and would quite like to be a forensic pathologist or something similar, i think from watching too many episode of Silent Witness when i was younger!
  • Options
    SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once had a dream that I was Banarby's assistant, investigating a grisly murder (Midsomer Murders). It was strangely exhilarating :D:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not quite the question, but I'd really like to be a TV writer thanks to various TV programmes.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to have sex with Karen Gillan. Does that count??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going back to the OP...

It was said that a whole load of folk became lawyers thanks to LA Law...

And a whole load of folk went into science because of Star Trek

And a whole load of folk now want to be CSIs....

The Government keeps banging on about the skills shortage we have in this country. It seems to me that the Govt should decide what deficiency they want to address first and get a hit program made about it... just saying ;)
  • Options
    -Felicity--Felicity- Posts: 4,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a good question!

Yes, after watching endless episodes of Homes Under The Hammer and To Buy Or Not To Buy, I went on to do a degree in Building Surveying :)