Options

Chiltern Radio in 1981 - 1982

Comments

• Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is so long ago but I think you have it about right, the only thing I am not sure about is Tara Jeffries, I have a feeling she came along a bit later, maybe the second year but I could be wrong. Tony Gillham might know, he is now (amongst other things) running Black Cat Radio, in St. Neots, Cambs.
    Also, I think Steve Fountain was much later, I think it was Chris Seymore who was on the late slot??

Tara Jefferies is clearly heard making merry in the background on an audio clip I have of New Year 1981 into 1982 as the chimes of Big Ben arrive, which was broadcast from memory of the tape, from the Chiltern Hotel I think they mention.
    Same tape has her voice introducing "that's the new one from Abba, and it's called Head Over Heels" which was an early 1982 release.
  • Options
    SimonjharrissonSimonjharrisson Posts: 1,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Tara Jefferies is clearly heard making merry in the background on an audio clip I have of New Year 1981 into 1982 as the chimes of Big Ben arrive, which was broadcast from memory of the tape, from the Chiltern Hotel I think they mention.
    Same tape has her voice introducing "that's the new one from Abba, and it's called Head Over Heels" which was an early 1982 release.

As I said it is a long time ago, so you could easily be correct, I just do not remember her in 1981, I spent the school holidays lounging around in the garden with the radio on, but if it was someone else on that slot I do not remember who it was either haha! :confused::eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said it is a long time ago, so you could easily be correct, I just do not remember her in 1981, I spent the school holidays lounging around in the garden with the radio on, but if it was someone else on that slot I do not remember who it was either haha! :confused::eek:

I've just realised the irony of me describing a bunch of radio presenters who sounded loosened up with a drink or two (allegedly) and following it up with a quote about Head Over Heels, regards Tara J. :D
  • Options
    MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,897
    Forum Member
    I've found my copy of the 4 page newspaper you can see in Phil Fothergill's video. It's from 1982 and issued in conjunction with the move from 97.5 to 97.6 and a new Ouse Valley service from Goldington Road studios.

Schedule in the newspaper is:
    Weekdays
    5.55 Sign on
    6.00 News
    6.06 Wagstaffs Wireless Breakfast
    9.06 Morning Break - Phil Fothergill with daily phone in
    10.06 Morning to Midday - Bill Young
    (Ouse Valley The Ouse to the Nene - Tony Gilham)
    1.00 Chiltern Reports
    1.30 Afternoon Talkabout - Tara Jeffries
    4.06 Home Again Paul Holmes
    7.06 Inside Out Music, job search, what's on - Phil Holden
    9.03. Mon-Folk, Tuesday- Caribbean, Wednesday Sub Saath
    (Ouse Valley only Tue- Sub Saath, Wed- Caribbean)
    10.03 Mon Sunday for Seven Days (repeat), Tuesday - On the Land, Wed - Topic
    10.30 Late Night Chiltern Chris Seymour
    1.03 Sign off

Sat
    5.58 Sign on
    6.00 News
    6.06 On The Land
    6.30 Fothergill on Saturday
    10.03 UK Top 40 and US Top 10 Paul Hollingdale
    1.06 Kids Stuff Phil Holden
    2.06 Chiltern Sport Nigel King
    6.06 Chiltern Country Dave Nicholson
    8.03 Chiltern Concert Classical music, Sim Harris
    10.03 Late Night Saturday Chris Seymour
    1.03 Sign off

Sun
    6.58 Sign on
    7.00 News
    7.03 Travelling Peter Whittaker Church/religious news and gospel
    8.30 Club quiz chaired by Phil Fothergill
    9.06 Sunday Weekender Bill Young
    12.06 Sunday Lunch Paul Hollingdale
    3.03 Soul Seekin Martin Collins
    6.03 Focus Chris Seymour with entertainment in the Chiltern area
    8.03 Sunday for 7 days Local cinema guide
    8.30 Club quiz (repeat)
    9.03 Decision Makers IRN weekly documentary
    9.30 Country Care (says repeat but cant find another airing)
    10.03 Wipeout Rock n Roll and hits from the past Steve Fountain
    1.03 Sign off
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MikeBr wrote: »
    I've found my copy of the 4 page newspaper you can see in Phil Fothergill's video. It's from 1982 and issued in conjunction with the move from 97.5 to 97.6 and a new Ouse Valley service from Goldington Road studios.

Schedule in the newspaper is:
    Weekdays
    5.55 Sign on
    6.00 News
    6.06 Wagstaffs Wireless Breakfast
    9.06 Morning Break - Phil Fothergill with daily phone in
    10.06 Morning to Midday - Bill Young
    (Ouse Valley The Ouse to the Nene - Tony Gilham)
    1.00 Chiltern Reports
    1.30 Afternoon Talkabout - Tara Jeffries
    4.06 Home Again Paul Holmes
    7.06 Inside Out Music, job search, what's on - Phil Holden
    9.03. Mon-Folk, Tuesday- Caribbean, Wednesday Sub Saath
    (Ouse Valley only Tue- Sub Saath, Wed- Caribbean)
    10.03 Mon Sunday for Seven Days (repeat), Tuesday - On the Land, Wed - Topic
    10.30 Late Night Chiltern Chris Seymour
    1.03 Sign off

Sat
    5.58 Sign on
    6.00 News
    6.06 On The Land
    6.30 Fothergill on Saturday
    10.03 UK Top 40 and US Top 10 Paul Hollingdale
    1.06 Kids Stuff Phil Holden
    2.06 Chiltern Sport Nigel King
    6.06 Chiltern Country Dave Nicholson
    8.03 Chiltern Concert Classical music, Sim Harris
    10.03 Late Night Saturday Chris Seymour
    1.03 Sign off

Sun
    6.58 Sign on
    7.00 News
    7.03 Travelling Peter Whittaker Church/religious news and gospel
    8.30 Club quiz chaired by Phil Fothergill
    9.06 Sunday Weekender Bill Young
    12.06 Sunday Lunch Paul Hollingdale
    3.03 Soul Seekin Martin Collins
    6.03 Focus Chris Seymour with entertainment in the Chiltern area
    8.03 Sunday for 7 days Local cinema guide
    8.30 Club quiz (repeat)
    9.03 Decision Makers IRN weekly documentary
    9.30 Country Care (says repeat but cant find another airing)
    10.03 Wipeout Rock n Roll and hits from the past Steve Fountain
    1.03 Sign off

Curious, because I have a couple of tapes from Spring 1982 of Kids Stuff with Pete Wagstaff being on at 4pm to 5pm, and infact rang him one time with a bad joke, like he encouraged us youngsters to do at the time, and I recall it as April/May 1982.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Curious, because I have a couple of tapes from Spring 1982 of Kids Stuff with Pete Wagstaff being on at 4pm to 5pm, and infact rang him one time with a bad joke, like he encouraged us youngsters to do at the time, and I recall it as April/May 1982.

In the newspaper it says they had just swapped. There's also an article headed "Highlights of our first year"

Based in the Bedford studios were Operations Organiser Tony Gillham, Katrina Balmforth, Tara Jeffries and Steve Fountain "who'll be on there between nine o clock and ten o clock most mornings" though that's not shown in the schedule.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the newspaper it says they had just swapped. There's also an article headed "Highlights of our first year"

Based in the Bedford studios were Operations Organiser Tony Gillham, Katrina Balmforth, Tara Jeffries and Steve Fountain "who'll be on there between nine o clock and ten o clock most mornings" though that's not shown in the schedule.

Wasn't doubting your fine research at all. Thanks for the info, it's a good contribution.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wasn't doubting your fine research at all. Thanks for the info, it's a good contribution.

I was wondering when in 1982 the newspaper was issued when you said Pete was still on afternoons in April/May, used to listen to Pete myself. I can remember an article in one of the local papers when Paul Holmes was taken off breakfast as some of the audience didn't think a New Zealander should have been given the slot. Oddly there's no presenter listed in the programme schedule by Home Again however the swap and name are mentioned in the first year highlights article yet in the Meet Your Hosts section it's said the show is called The Sundowner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was wondering when in 1982 the newspaper was issued when you said Pete was still on afternoons in April/May, used to listen to Pete myself. I can remember an article in one of the local papers when Paul Holmes was taken off breakfast as some of the audience didn't think a New Zealander should have been given the slot. Oddly there's no presenter listed in the programme schedule by Home Again however the swap and name are mentioned in the first year highlights article yet in the Meet Your Hosts section it's said the show is called The Sundowner.

For what it's worth, I've no recollection of Wagstaff and the 4pm hour of Kids Stuff in the week after summer 1982, so maybe it stopped at some point later in the year.
    I do seem to recall Phil Holden maybe doing it on a weekend around 1983 possibly, and the last I recall of this Kids show was about 1985 when "Brother" Louie Martin did an hour on a Saturday, obviously in addition to the soul music he played for years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good find but I remember the Soul show on Sunday afternoons being presented by someone other than Martin Collins to start with, maybe a Phil ?? He sounded like he always had a cold!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And someone called Mark Smith appeared at 5am doing an hour before the main breakfast show.... Anyone remember???:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Andrew RogersAndrew Rogers Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I remember Mark Smith (see the 83/84 sched I posted on page 1) but (although as a student I wasn't up to check) I think the station never opened at 5am. Originally they ran from 6am to midnight and then from 6am to 1am, and I think they went straight from this to 24 hours in about 1985.
    We used to listen to the Chris Seymour late show as students and (IIRC) when Chiltern closed down at 1am, switched over to Hereward Northampton for the final hour of Simon Potter's late show with Pick your Poison! When Chiltern went 24 hour, I think overnights was a tape of non-PPL music.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great thread!!

I mlived in Milton Keynes and remember Chiltern from the start, originally only from Dunstable on 362 metres MW (828 AM) and 97.5 FM (changed to 97.6 sometime after the launch due to interference from LBC on 97.3)
    The Bedford (Ouse Valley) service started in early 1982, and was from Sandy heath and covered a huge area!!
    The split was the mid morning show (if memory serves) and it was Tony Gillham on (Ouse Valley) and Bill Young on the southern output from Dunstable.

Wasn't Bedford on 95.5FM, then moved to 96.9FM, swapping with BBC Bedfordshire?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I remember Mark Smith (see the 83/84 sched I posted on page 1) but (although as a student I wasn't up to check) I think the station never opened at 5am. Originally they ran from 6am to midnight and then from 6am to 1am, and I think they went straight from this to 24 hours in about 1985.
    We used to listen to the Chris Seymour late show as students and (IIRC) when Chiltern closed down at 1am, switched over to Hereward Northampton for the final hour of Simon Potter's late show with Pick your Poison! When Chiltern went 24 hour, I think overnights was a tape of non-PPL music.

I think they started before 6am with something called 'morning music' and a lot of jingles were played and seem to remember mark Smith was there for that...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't Bedford on 95.5FM, then moved to 96.9FM, swapping with BBC Bedfordshire?

Yes, indeed. 95.5 never seemed to get out like 96.9, I drove to the North of England one time and had 96.9 on until well into Lincolnshire when Chiltern battled it out for a while with Viking, (Hull) also on 96.9

Apparently, Chiltern (along with other ILR stations at the time) were always trying to get the power tweaked up, sometimes on the sly, but strict IBA rules prevented it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Aah, Pick Your Poison on Hereward with Simon Potter. Six rounds, at 11.15pm, 11.30pm, 11.45pm, 12.15am, 12.30am and finally 12.45am, which seemed dreadfully late to stay awake until. Nowadays my radio listening begins at 1am for a bit of Up All Night!
    I listened to that on Hereward from late '84 until about November 1986, when something happened that meant the North Bucks area and Milton Keynes lost the ability to get Hereward on FM, and it seems to coincide with Northants 96 from memory, which I didn't take to at all.
    When Hereward came along in October 1984, my early liking for Chiltern was waning a little, and I transferred my taste over to Hereward, certainly in the late (school) nights of the mid 1980's, ultimately listening to Chiltern and Hereward as I fancied at other times.
    I was real peeved when Northants 96 came and spoilt the fun of late nights. I may have gone off to crackly Luxembourg or something.
    I wonder how long Pick Your Poison carried on for? It became a bit of a cult to listen to among a few school friends. The quiz had a nifty little jingle too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I listened to that on Hereward from late '84 until about November 1986, when something happened that meant the North Bucks area and Milton Keynes lost the ability to get Hereward on FM, and it seems to coincide with Northants 96 from memory, which I didn't take to at all.

would anything like Fox or 210fm have impeded you in those days?
  • Options
    Andrew RogersAndrew Rogers Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What happened was that Chiltern bought the Northampton franchise from Hereward and relaunched it as Northants 96. After that, Hereward was only available from Peterborough on, I think, 95.7 (later 102.7) and that wouldn't have given a good signal that far south.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What happened was that Chiltern bought the Northampton franchise from Hereward and relaunched it as Northants 96. After that, Hereward was only available from Peterborough on, I think, 95.7 (later 102.7) and that wouldn't have given a good signal that far south.

thanks, that helps explain things
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Andrew, you have confirmed what I thought about Northants 96 and Hereward vanishing at a similar time.
    Blues Diamond, I've not heard of 210FM.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Andrew, you have confirmed what I thought about Northants 96 and Hereward vanishing at a similar time.
    Blues Diamond, I've not heard of 210FM.

210FM formerly radio 210 or Thames Valley Broadcasting from Reading. Now called Heart, along with everything else that was once good. I could not receive it in Milton Keynes back then, but would not want to now as it Heart.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    210FM formerly radio 210 or Thames Valley Broadcasting from Reading. Now called Heart, along with everything else that was once good. I could not receive it in Milton Keynes back then, but would not want to now as it Heart.

My view entirely on these "Heart" stations. I detest the whole concept of their local radio vandalism throughout the country. A very mis-named set of stations in my opinion, with absolutely no "heart" or "soul" within the community whatsoever. :mad:
  • Options
    deepfroatdeepfroat Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How times have changed - Bill Young's trail for Chiltern Reports is about the length of a typical commercial radio bulletin these days...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My view entirely on these "Heart" stations. I detest the whole concept of their local radio vandalism throughout the country. A very mis-named set of stations in my opinion, with absolutely no "heart" or "soul" within the community whatsoever. :mad:

I totally agree, and it is interesting how internet radio is starting to take off with some familiar names from the past..
    We need someont to start up an internet 'Chiltern' :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally agree, and it is interesting how internet radio is starting to take off with some familiar names from the past..
    We need someont to start up an internet 'Chiltern' :D

Wouldn't that be good, but I bet somewhere somebody has still got "rights" to the Chiltern name anyway, probably the same lot that took it away, namely Heart.