Options

Child of Our Time!

124»

Comments

• Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eve is wise beyond her years and is an absolute credit to her Dad and also her late Mum. I loved her singing and playing the harp.

I also rather liked the girl from last night but can't remember her name - blonde girl who was also very, very mature for her age.

I'm afraid I choked up at Jamie describing his Dad having an affair and wishing his M & D could get back together. You could see it is still very painful for him and I think many of us forget just how much divorce and separation affects kids.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Glowbot wrote: »
    How do you tell triplets apart.
    Easy when they're not Identical.;)

All too short a series, I'm sure they did more at the start, but still fascinating to see how they are all getting on.

Do they stop when they are 21, I'm sure I read somewhere that is the cut of point, unlike the 'Up' series.
  • Options
    milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eve always seemed to be a wise little girl, even before her mother died.. How many 12 year olds play the harp and sing like she does?
    Ethan was interesting as an Asperger's sufferer and Nathan has become naughtier. It is also noticable that the children of divorced parents always want them to get back together and seem to hide their feelings from their parents.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    Stansfield wrote: »

All too short a series, I'm sure they did more at the start, but still fascinating to see how they are all getting on.

Do they stop when they are 21, I'm sure I read somewhere that is the cut of point, unlike the 'Up' series.

I think they're following the only for the first 20 years of their life.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    milliejo wrote: »
    Eve always seemed to be a wise little girl, even before her mother died.. How many 12 year olds play the harp and sing like she does?
    Ethan was interesting as an Asperger's sufferer and Nathan has become naughtier. It is also noticable that the children of divorced parents always want them to get back together and seem to hide their feelings from their parents.

Agreed. That is very sad. It obviously still deeply effects them even the child who was three years old at the time the parents split up.
    Eve was wonderful and the way she spoke about giving Dad his space when he wanted to cry and talk about Mum was so mature and loving. She would be wonderful working with other bereaved children.
    The triplets were lovely girls too. They are maturing at different ages with Mabel slightly ahead of her sisters. People don't realise that it can happen like that. My twin started periods age 10 but I was 14.
    Ivor and Alex are still adorable and always seem to have been very close. I loved the scene where both were playing the same violin.
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »

I think babies are all fairly identical. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wonder when it will return
  • Options
    LilylilacLilylilac Posts: 1,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I admired the mother who had her daughter when she was 16 and put herself through University to become a nurse so she didn't have to rely on benefits.
  • Options
    vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lilylilac wrote: »
    I admired the mother who had her daughter when she was 16 and put herself through University to become a nurse so she didn't have to rely on benefits.
    Great message and inspiration for her daughter. :)
  • Options
    LilylilacLilylilac Posts: 1,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vixyvic wrote: »
    Great message and inspiration for her daughter. :)

Exactly, she would be getting more on benefits but chooses to earn a living and gets the satisfaction that she has worked for her money... She is teaching her kids well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    I hadn't seen any of these before but watched the second episode. Bit grim... :(

It's so obvious from these types of programmes that divorce and separation has a huge and profound effect on children. I know everyone has their own reasons but it's scary to think that 50% of the children are going through this trauma.

I'm worried about Tyreese... Getting into trouble, "it's never my fault though", gave his mother a shocking evil look as she walked across the room. His eyes followed her all the way... Oh boy. He's got 'issues'.
  • Options
    MercierMercier Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    I don't think it's meant to be telling us anything new. It's just a portrait of a cross section of society now. There are people and situations we can all identify with, and other 'stories' that we perhaps haven't experienced ourselves but which are all very commonplace in a modern world. I think it's interesting to see real lives in snapshots like this.

Why is it interesting? Moreover a cross section of predominantly middle to upper middle class Britain with parents who love their children.

Why it becomes pointless is Wilson's need to add some kind of gravitas or necessity to this programme which simply isn't there.

Far more interesting and pertinent especially with the reforms to the UK benefits system for the disabled is the programme on C4 with a similar format following disabled children, that actually has something to say and will continue to do so as this recession progresses and the children grow and become fully aware of their second class citizen status in the UK.

The BBC wanted to axe this programme, as nice as it was, they really should have, this was a non starter.
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like this program. Matthew is my favourite.

Are the BBC planning to repeat any of the series? It is easy to forget who is who, although obviously the previous clips in the program reminded me a bit of it.
  • Options
    kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only just watched it this week.

Surprised by how mature some of them are, like Parys talking about how he had to do what his mother told him to do as she couldn't physically pick him up.

The twins seem to be quite immature in comparison but I guess they have had a stable upbringing with no issues so can stay child like for longer.

I wonder how many of them will refuse to take part in this programme once they are teenagers?
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how many of them will refuse to take part in this programme once they are teenagers?
    Probably none of them.

In a world dominated by social media most teenagers love to document, film and photograph every aspect of their lives, so appearing in a TV documentary is probably quite appealing.

I would imagine as they are growing older they will also have some say in what is/isn't filmed etc.
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,228
    Forum Member
    It returns on Monday 3rd and Tuesday 4th April on BBC One at 9pm. :)
  • Options
    RickLopezRickLopez Posts: 14,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very glad it's back, I know there were concerns it would never return. Fantastic series.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    It returns on Monday 3rd and Tuesday 4th April on BBC One at 9pm. :)

Disruption: Bumping
    Posting in old threads with little reason to do so is considered disruptive. If a thread has long since died a natural death, a fresh thread should be made if you wish to continue discussion.

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2206848/community-guidelines
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,228
    Forum Member
    edited 21/03/17 - 20:10 #95
    Deleted.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my defence, I have a reason. There's a new series coming up to discuss.

Maybe I should have started a new one, but I'll let the mods decide.

It has died a natural death though.
  • Options
    Baz_JamesBaz_James Posts: 4,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my defence, I have a reason. There's a new series coming up to discuss.

Maybe I should have started a new one, but I'll let the mods decide.

It has died a natural death though.

Has it? Isn't the whole point of the series to follow the same children through the various stages of their childhood which makes what people said on this thread in the past completely pertinent to the series now due. Really not sure what skin it is off your nose anyway.