Openreach says my cabinet is "under review" - is this bad news?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Graeme89 wrote: »
    Put your phone number into https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html and tell us which cab and I can try and find out if its going to be upgraded if I can
    Hi Graeme could you possibly check out mine as well, its the Wemyss Bay exchange cabinet No 10 when I check availability it say cabinet under review, I'm desperate to get fibre as I'm lucky if I get 2mbps at the moment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    There still working in the same place over 3 days now?

Splicing fiber by the looks of things, Has any green cabs been installed around where they are working?

Oh I just seen your other post
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Hi Graeme could you possibly check out mine as well, its the Wemyss Bay exchange cabinet No 10 when I check availability it say cabinet under review, I'm desperate to get fibre as I'm lucky if I get 2mbps at the moment.

Can't see anything digital scotland has started to restrict the information they give out sorry
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well its changed when I was In bed so did not even notice the connection being down
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4408237552
    As its only for me I was thinking Infinity 1 should be more than enough.

Test 2

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4408270376

Great the pings are still very low to. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will have to compare this with others

1. Product name: BT Home Hub
    2. Serial number: +068543+NQ51212305
    3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204 (Type A) Last updated Unknown
    4. Board version: BT Hub 5A
    5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 08:14:31
    6. Data rate: 9999 / 39993
    7. Maximum data rate: 31762 / 94570
    8. Noise margin: 23.9 / 23.0
    9. Line attenuation: 17.3 / 15.7
    10. Signal attenuation: 17.3 / 15.7
    11. Data sent/received: 4.9 GB / 4.9 GB
    12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
    13. BT Wi-fi: Yes
    14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID: BTHub5-SRKJ
    15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
    16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
    17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
    18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID: BTHub5-SRKJ
    19. 5 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
    20. 5 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
    21. 5 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
    22. Firewall: Default
    24. Modulation: G.993.2 Annex B
    25. Software variant: AA
    26. Boot loader: 1.0.0
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well its changed when I was In bed so did not even notice the connection being down
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4408237552
    As its only for me I was thinking Infinity 1 should be more than enough.

Test 2

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4408270376

Great the pings are still very low to. :)

Hell! My ping is nowhere near that. I the lowest mine's ever been is 15ms.
  • SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Hell! My ping is nowhere near that. I the lowest mine's ever been is 15ms.
    It will depend on how far you are from the speedtest server, it's a pretty meaningless measurement. If you're a gamer you may want a low ping time to your game server, but a random "ping to some server somewhere on the network" means nothing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will have to compare this with others

1. Product name: BT Home Hub
    2. Serial number: +068543+NQ51212305
    3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204 (Type A) Last updated Unknown
    4. Board version: BT Hub 5A
    5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 08:14:31
    6. Data rate: 9999 / 39993
    7. Maximum data rate: 31762 / 94570
    8. Noise margin: 23.9 / 23.0
    9. Line attenuation: 17.3 / 15.7
    10. Signal attenuation: 17.3 / 15.7
    11. Data sent/received: 4.9 GB / 4.9 GB
    12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
    13. BT Wi-fi: Yes
    14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID: BTHub5-SRKJ
    15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
    16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
    17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
    18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID: BTHub5-SRKJ
    19. 5 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
    20. 5 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
    21. 5 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
    22. Firewall: Default
    24. Modulation: G.993.2 Annex B
    25. Software variant: AA
    26. Boot loader: 1.0.0

After looking at other peoples it seems my Maximum data rate 31762 / 94570 is a lot higher than most meaning I could defo get 90 meg and 30 meg up if it were offered on my line. ?
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's more likely that if it's a brand new cabinet, you aren't yet experiencing the effects of crosstalk because most of your street isn't on it yet.

I was the second customer on my cabinet and my modem reported something like 120Mbit down, 30 up as the maximum. That dropped as more people switched over to fibre

If BT ever decides to do vectoring (which would help eliminate the problems that crosstalk creates) everyone should see greater speeds.

If only BT did more fibre to the premises....
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    It's more likely that if it's a brand new cabinet, you aren't yet experiencing the effects of crosstalk because most of your street isn't on it yet.

I was the second customer on my cabinet and my modem reported something like 120Mbit down, 30 up as the maximum. That dropped as more people switched over to fibre

If BT ever decides to do vectoring (which would help eliminate the problems that crosstalk creates) everyone should see greater speeds.

If only BT did more fibre to the premises....

Indeed. CDS here in Devon are shortly signing contracts for phase 2 (95%) so I'm hoping I will be in that extra 5%. I would be covered with about 20 other dwellings in any extension project (FTTDp / FTTRn), not that BT are using these technologies quite yet.
    I'm sort of hoping CDS will get more FTTP out there.
    Fibre was originally 7Km away, then 5Km and now they've run it along our main road (to serve another Exchange) it's only 1Km away!!

Sort of hoping BT had the forethought to put aggregation points / splitters (or run extra fibre) along the way knowing that they will have to get to us at some point.
    A step too far for BT maybe?
    Pretty certain I'm not in the final 5% though considering the amount of remote dwellings in Devon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BT and forethought don't really go in the same sentence IMO.

Unless you're lucky I'd bet you either get 4G'd or FTTRN. Except in parts of Cornwall, BT seems as determined as possible to not use the best, most futureproof technology.

They are using FTTRN in North Yorkshire, though (as someone who isn't involved with BT at all) I've heard they are having a bit of a time arranging power for some of the remote nodes
    Forum Member
    Yeah will probably be FTTRn here.
    Node would be about 100 metres from the main road with me (and 6 others) another 800 - 900 metres away. Lines are good so 30 -40 meg maybe.
    Power not a problem. There is a major electricity pole right where it would go. : )
    15 or so dwellings here that would get full speed.

If it does get installed the copper to me is about 500 metres ducted, 30 metres overhead and 400ish metres buried.
    Would be interesting to then get a quote for FTTP.
    Probably about 8 grand!!
    :)
  • lonewallerlonewaller Posts: 721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    Yeah will probably be FTTRn here.
    Node would be about 100 metres from the main road with me (and 6 others) another 800 - 900 metres away. Lines are good so 30 -40 meg maybe.
    Power not a problem. There is a major electricity pole right where it would go. : )
    15 or so dwellings here that would get full speed.

If it does get installed the copper to me is about 500 metres ducted, 30 metres overhead and 400ish metres buried.
    Would be interesting to then get a quote for FTTP.
    Probably about 8 grand!!
    :)
    Is there a reason you think the node would only be about 100m from the road ?

BT appears to be pushing the speed / distance that G.fast works over - see
    http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/06/bt-claims-future-g-fast-broadband-delivers-300mbps-speeds-at-350-metres.html

Brian
    Forum Member
    lonewaller wrote: »
    Is there a reason you think the node would only be about 100m from the road ?

BT appears to be pushing the speed / distance that G.fast works over - see
    http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/06/bt-claims-future-g-fast-broadband-delivers-300mbps-speeds-at-350-metres.html

Brian

Sorry, you misunderstood.
    The fibre backhaul to the node would be about 100m from where there's already fibre up at the main road.
    there is a small hamlet here of about 15 - 17 houses. Their lines would all be less than 30m from the cab so yes they would get super speeds.
    I (and 6 others) am then another 900 metres down the lane but some of this copper is buried.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Hi there Graeme, any chance I can get a sit-rep on Witham, Cabinet 35? It's been in review for ages and OpenReach don't want to tell me why. Fibre cabs are visible from the window - one can't be more than 200m away.

Thanks in advance!
  • kougeikougei Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Hi, BT Openreach checker says my cabinet is under review. As I am Sky phoneline currently, I can only do Postcode Wholesale check. This shows no info on fibre, but states
    Exchange HOVE is served by Cabinet 264.

None of the nearby old green BT cabinets have a visible number on them, but the nearest one they have the pavement dug up adjacent, and have installed a 'black' cabinet that looks very much like the green BT fibre ones, same vents, same triangle roof, apart from it's a bit fatter than the BT ones look. Any ideas if this could be a newer fibre cabinet?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kougei wrote: »
    None of the nearby old green BT cabinets have a visible number on them, but the nearest one they have the pavement dug up adjacent, and have installed a 'black' cabinet that looks very much like the green BT fibre ones, same vents, same triangle roof, apart from it's a bit fatter than the BT ones look. Any ideas if this could be a newer fibre cabinet?

Does it have vent holes? For example http://www.transconnect.co.uk/local%20loop%20eqpt%20etc/slides/BT%20Infinity%20Cab%20Surbiton%20261211.JPG or http://www.ispreview.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/cache/475__300x300_fttc_uk_bt_street_cabinet.jpg - it may not look exactly identical to either of these

BT cabinets are not normally black though. Either it's someone else's (Virgin?) or BT has agreed to do something different at the behest of the local council (I've seen blue BT cabinets in Guildford town centre). It may not be for telecoms equipment at all - if it's near any traffic lights or crossings, it might be for that
    Forum Member
    I went and grabbed a pic

http://1drv.ms/1NNS6ks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a very interesting design and I don't know what it is - it doesn't look like any of the fibre cabinets BT has installed in the past, maybe it's a redesign or a new supplier. It has sone vents, which implies there will be electronics going into it at some point

What does roadworks.org say for roughly where that cabinet is? It should say who has been digging up the road and why

It's not near a mobile phone mast? It could be the cabinet for the upgrade of an existing one, or they're building a new mast, probably for 4G from one of the networks e.g. http://www.belpernews.co.uk/webimage/1.3525623.1309354680!/image/2766211807.jpg
    Forum Member
    Responsibility for these works

UK Power Networks UK Power Networks

Information for Road Users

Traffic lights, etc: No carriageway incursion

Information for Operational Teams

Highway Authority: Brighton and Hove City Council
    Location: pillar in Boyces street and joint bays in Middle Street. f\w.
    Description: Capital Programmes:PROJECT::low carbon network installation pillar
    Permit status: Granted
    Works ref: KZ00820177456
    Current status: Work in progress
    Work info last updated: 00:00 on 19/08/2015
    Forum Member
    So it looks like this could be an electric car charging point. Something to do with a low carbon project in Brighton, no doubt an initiative of the Green party. What would you like to bet that BT are held up planning a fibre cabinet, yet they could have co-ordinated and got power and install done while the same road was dug up, but we know that isn't the way local councils work.
  • de525made525ma Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kougei wrote: »
    So it looks like this could be an electric car charging point. Something to do with a low carbon project in Brighton, no doubt an initiative of the Green party. What would you like to bet that BT are held up planning a fibre cabinet, yet they could have co-ordinated and got power and install done while the same road was dug up, but we know that isn't the way local councils work.

I dunno... In Aberdeen, they have part of St Machar Drive dug up to re-model a junction and replace a roundabout with traffic lights (facepalm).

In that time - Scottish Water, SSE and Vodafone have taken advantage of this and done work there. So some councils do work this way!
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The "under review" messages are a bit silly really. That's what it still says for me. However we are shortly getting FTTP/FTTH whichever is the correct term. They have already started digging and putting in ducting and concrete chambers. I don't know why they cannot be a but more specific on these maps. I mean for me it says they are still looking to see if it can be brought to my area whilst they are digging a hole outside my house! By the way just what is the difference between FTTP and FTTH?
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DavidT wrote: »
    The "under review" messages are a bit silly really. That's what it still says for me. However we are shortly getting FTTP/FTTH whichever is the correct term. They have already started digging and putting in ducting and concrete chambers. I don't know why they cannot be a but more specific on these maps. I mean for me it says they are still looking to see if it can be brought to my area whilst they are digging a hole outside my house! By the way just what is the difference between FTTP and FTTH?

The only difference is "Premises" or "Home" as the last word in the abbreviation. Just different ways of saying that fibre optic cable runs all the way from the exchange to a socket on the wall of your living room rather than to a cabinet out in the street.
  • andyhurleyandyhurley Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm new to this thread but it sounds like there may be folk on here that can help with the issue I am having.

We moved to a new house last summer and the ADSL connection is appalling (2mbps on a good day but frequent drops as well requiring a router reboot). I have been checking since before we moved for FTTC and they have been continuously saying high demand, orders from the next calendar month (or sometimes the end of the current calendar month).

A week ago I got an email from BT to say I could now order but when I tried I got the same story again.

Last week I found the wholesale Openreach checker and it was saying that we should be able to order from the 24th September but then this week it has stopped giving a time for FTTC at all.

All I am getting now is:

"Address xxx on Exchange STANSTED is served by Cabinet 13"

and

"FTTC is currently not available on this cabinet due to following reasons:- Sorry your cabinet is temporarily unavailable, capacity will be restored as soon as possible."

The cabinet in question is about 100 metres from our house and there are two cabinets there, one small and one large with vents. I had presumed the large one contains the fibre equipment. We are in a medium sized village about 2 miles from the exchange in a larger village.

Can anyone tell me any more about cabinet 13 for STANSTED (Essex) and when we might be able to order FTTC?

Thanks.