Options

Can a new style sky router be overloaded?

satman17satman17 Posts: 2,608
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Please help , I have a new style sky router and it's just failed it lasted about 5 weeks and replaced a router which was a couple of years old I have a ethinet cable coming from the back into a switch in data cabinet then a patch panel I have a CCTV system on it a hard drive to create my own cloud I also have a line going into my man cave in the garage where that goes into a switch and patch also there is a wireless access point do my question is have I or is it possible to overload a router ?

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends what you mean by "overload". And how exactly it has failed.

In theory a router has 255 IP addresses available to dish out to connected devices. Whether it can get to that number or not is another matter. But all that would usually happen if you exceed the number of devices allowed is that some devices will simply fail to connect and possibly those that are connected my see a slow down in network performance, depending on what they are all doing. But actual physical harm of some sort is very unlikely.

Much more likely is that either there is a faulty component in the router that has given up or the power supply for the router is faulty which could mean it's not powering it correctly or has zapped it with an excessive voltage and fried something in the router.