Options

Have you ever given first aid to anyone?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 629
Forum Member
✭✭
Watching Eastenders I was reminded of the first aid course I recently went on for work.

Has anyone found themselves in the position where they've had to give first aid and how did it turn out?

I've just had to give people eye washes so far.

Comments

• Options
    SnozzwanglerSnozzwangler Posts: 82,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. My mother's MIL collapsed while we were on holiday. She's in her 90s, she had pneumonia as we later found out. But she was out cold at the top of the stairs. I put her in the recovery position, and she eventually came round.

Thankfully I've not had to do anything more serious than that.

I did surprise myself in not panicking as I expected, my mother was most impressed :p Well apart from coming up the stairs to be greeted by the sight of me bent over in a night tshirt and nothing else :eek: :o She'd not seen that part of me for many, many years :o:p
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I posted in a thread recently I saw an old man collapsed at a bus stop and pulled over to help him. I phoned for an ambulance and put him in the recovery postition. It was about a week before I did a first aid course in work and luckily it turned out I'd done the right thing without the training!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I spent 25 years in the saint john ambulance, and also was first aider in the military, so yes, too many times to list, and i have never lost anyone. (no one has died on me) bought a few people back from death, also was a instructer.
  • Options
    Dan100Dan100 Posts: 2,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been a first aider, O2 administrator and defibrillator operator for some years (even for a tourist attraction) and thankfully have never had to give BLS to anyone.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apart from cleaning and applying a plaster/bandage to a family member's cuts/burns, no.

I've gone to the aid of a couple of road accident victims, but I did nothing more than keep them warm and quite until the ambulance arrived.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan100 wrote: »
    I've been a first aider, O2 administrator and defibrillator operator for some years (even for a tourist attraction) and thankfully have never had to give BLS to anyone.

How diverse. Working in first aid, and then taking a break to work in a mobile phone company as admin support:p ;)

P.S. What is BLS:o
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When i was a teenager a baby had stopped breathing and i just knew what to do without thinking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    P.S. What is BLS:o

Basic Life Support.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bls, is that the new name for CPR? Done that many a time
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    A girl slipped in a pool of beer recently in a club, fell over backwards and knocked herself out. I was nearest to her and had no idea what to do, but i yelled at people to get the lights put on and felt v gently round the back of her head (intact, fortunately). She was breathing and had a pulse, but i had to fend off a drunken friend who was trying to give her mouth to mouth.

Then a bloke ran across shouting "i'm a first aider, let me through!"; picked up her head and gave it a good shake :eek:

She was starting to come round when we were all chucked out of the club.
  • Options
    loz2601loz2601 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    My friend collapsed when we were walking along once. So, yeah. Luckily it was one of the few times I had my phone and it had battery.
    Plus we'd just done it at school, so.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im a first aider at work so yes.
    Mainly have to deal with bandaging up people who have slips and trips.
    Have had to deal with a serious asthma attack, a couple of diabetic suctomers going into shock.
    Had to deal with a comatosed drunk woman who fell and hit her head and was out for the count.
    Had a man who cut hiself and then feinted at the sight of his blood.
    Had one guy who collapsed and fell unconcious, later turned out he hadn't eaten in over a week.
    Had a colleague who thought that it would be fun to jump down the stairs and ended up cutting their head open.

The worst one I think was a colleague that tried managed to put a kinfe THROUGH their hand.

Unfortunately being a first aider where I work aslo means that you get to deal with body fluid incidents, so cleaning up vomit, piss, shite and blood. You wouldn't believe how many people are sick on the floor of or piss themselves in Sainsbury's!
  • Options
    DNZ711DNZ711 Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was in a department store in town this elderly man caught my attention as he was just stood panting, I waited for a few moments just incase and he ended up having an epileptic seizure. Theres not much to do in this situation except stop him form harming himself so i supported his head and reassured him. Like I expected, he thanked me and walked away as if nothing happened. No need to call and ambulance but I think the staff did anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DNZ711 wrote: »
    I was in a department store in town this elderly man caught my attention as he was just stood panting, I waited for a few moments just incase and he ended up having an epileptic seizure. Theres not much to do in this situation except stop him form harming himself so i supported his head and reassured him. Like I expected, he thanked me and walked away as if nothing happened. No need to call and ambulance but I think the staff did anyway.

Similar thing happened to me and my wife in the cafe in Tesco. This older chap was having an epileptic fit and we didn't know what to do. The staff were useless, luckily one of the customers was first aid trained.

Bit of a wake up call really, I would like to know what to do in that situation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never had to, but I'm a chronic worrier and like to be prepared.
    I learned how to perform a tracheotomy when I was 10. I know how to help deliver a baby. I know how to give CPR/BSL. I know how to work a defibrilator. I know mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.

I've never had to use any of it, but it's good to know I can. :)

Plus, the whole tracheotomy thing was a fabulous threat to use on my little brother. :D
  • Options
    TheFirstCutTheFirstCut Posts: 7,306
    Forum Member
    sketcher wrote: »
    Watching Eastenders I was reminded of the first aid course I recently went on for work.

Has anyone found themselves in the position where they've had to give first aid and how did it turn out?

I've just had to give people eye washes so far.

Yes, a couple of times, all ended well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes a few times.
    I think first aid should be taught in schools!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I unwrapped a plaster for someone, once.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nope, luckily i've never been put in a situation like this
  • Options
    B3atenB3aten Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I changed a wheel for a woman who couldn't do it herself in the pouring rain...does that count? :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redjay wrote: »
    Yes a few times.
    I think first aid should be taught in schools!

it sort of is...
    well at my school maybe a year ago some people came in and gave us basic first aid training. it was an activity for the first week of term because the school hadn't got round to sorting out our timetables.
    we also learnt how to write a cv :p
    I also have a brownie badge in first aid... doesn't count for much but I can actually remember a lot of what we did for that and it was very similar to what we did that time at school.
    not had to use any of it yet though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    B3aten wrote: »
    I changed a wheel for a woman who couldn't do it herself in the pouring rain...does that count? :)

Not if you work for the AA, no.
  • Options
    toogoodfortvtoogoodfortv Posts: 6,536
    Forum Member
    i haven't actually gave first aid - but i did have a paper round once, and it was late at night, so my dad took me round in the car - i noticed in one of the houses the woman that lived there was lieing out cold on floor - well i initially thought she was dead

noone else was in house, and her dog was barking, so i got my dad and he told me to ring the police and ambulance

she was lying next to a table so i thought maybe she had fell onto it and banged her head

turned out the dosy woman had too much to drink on her own, and passed out on the floor - like what!!!

i felt soooo stupid but i did get £10 gift voucher for marks and spencers from her husband (who wasn;t in at the time) because of my actions lol