Options

Laser teeth whitening

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
Forum Member
Has anyone tried it, how were the results any probs and how much did it cost?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am going to get it done in the next few weeks, when my brace comes off. The results looked pretty good, my dentist showed me a couple of photographs and as for the price, he said it was normally 650 but they had an offer on at the moment and it was 499.
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    I had Zoom laser whitening done at my dentist a few years ago.

Before I had it done my teeth were never sensitive, however I was in AGONY during the procedure, so much in fact that he only did 3 of the 4 sessions because I was screaming so much.

The results were awful, they only looked a little lighter than when I started, the only difference now is that I have highly sensitive teeth which I never had before.

I was also given a top up kit which I have never used as I'll probably be in more pain!

Personally I would never recommend it to anyone. I would rather have had my old stained but healthy teeth but now I have to live with sensitive teeth :(
  • Options
    KnifeEdgeKnifeEdge Posts: 3,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got a bleaching kit with a mould fitted by my dentist. It worked very well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    KnifeEdge wrote: »

how much did that cost
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people need to understand that there is a range of tooth colours - not everyone has pure white teeth. I think dentists sometimes forget that fact as well, they seem very keen to indulge their patients.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well, if we are paying a fortune , they should indulge us :D
    My dentist is really good, we chatted for about half an hour about all the options . I obviously don't don't want Simon Cowells teeth and the laser thing he uses, is in 15 minute blocks, and after each one, I can say if it is white enough and stop it there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does this look too good to be true?

http://www.laserteethwhite.co.uk/

she'd even come to my house

£200 seems pretty cheap but then she wouldn't have the overheads of running a salon
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i would only trust my own dentist to do it, I've seen a few ads for cheap treatment and i wouldn't touch them.
    It's says no pain, when really no one can say that , as we all have different pain thresholds.
    My dentist said for sensitive teeth the trays are probably better, but I was tempted by the quickness and the special price, but we did spend a lot of time talking about it and there was no pressure to make a decision.
    You may be lucky, but personally I would only trust someone who knows me and knows my teeth :p
  • Options
    J105J105 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had the ZOOM teeth whitening on my teeth last week and I'm thrilled with the results.
    It cost £375 + £198 bcos i needed a new crown on a front tooth.
    I've gone from shade C2 to A1 which is the whitest they could go.
    My teeth were very sensitive for 2 days after and i did worry the sensitivity was here to stay but thankfully it went away.
    I'd def recommend :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    J105 wrote: »
    I had the ZOOM teeth whitening on my teeth last week and I'm thrilled with the results.
    My teeth were very sensitive for 2 days after and i did worry the sensitivity was here to stay but thankfully it went away.

All the prices people are quoting make me think £198 is suspicously cheap:(

Thanks for the info
  • Options
    J105J105 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hi!
    The whitening cost £375.
    The £198 was for seperate treatment for a new crown.
    :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hi!
    The whitening cost £375.
    The £198 was for seperate treatment for a new crown.
    :D

No sorry - I posted a link above about a lady in my area offering laser whitening for £198 (Coincidence on same price as your crown) but it does sound too good to be true:)
  • Options
    Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    I had it done a few years ago and it cost £350. I wasn't particularly happy with the results and you do have to use the top up kit to keep them white.

Be aware that if you smoke drink coffee or red wine it is unlikely to last very long. My dentist advised me to drink coffee or red wine through a straw in future !!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be careful about looking at pictures. A lot of the brightness wears off in the first 7 days so if you're going to see pics ask to see later ones.. LOL.. as if they'll have them.

The risk of sensitivity would worry me but I suppose it depends on how discoloured your teeth are as to what risk you are willing to take.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

did it hurt whilst you were having it done ? and were your teeth sensitive before the treatment or just after ? I am worried because I have sensitive teeth, but it seems to be to things that are cold, so I don't know whether i would suffer more or not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    KnifeEdge wrote: »

I`am a Dentist...and that's what I recommend....What ever bleaching technique is used your teeth will eventually fade to their natural colour over 2 to 4 years....The big advantage of Home bleaching kits is that you can re-bleach your teeth at your own convenience and the bleaching gels are relatively cheap.....Personally I would`t spend my own money on any instant bleaching technique.....Home bleaching is cheaper and works just as well.....you just have to be motivated enough to wear the bleaching tray on a regular basis.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I`am a Dentist...and that's what I recommend....What ever bleaching technique is used your teeth will eventually fade to their natural colour over 2 to 4 years....The big advantage of Home bleaching kits is that you can re-bleach your teeth at your own convenience and the bleaching gels are relatively cheap.....Personally I would`t spend my own money on any instant bleaching technique.....Home bleaching is cheaper and works just as well.....you just have to be motivated enough to wear the bleaching tray on a regular basis.

Which brand would you reccomend?
  • Options
    Forum Member

I`am a Dentist....A1 is not the whitest shade.....There are lighter shades.....Since bleaching has become more common there is a new shade guide for bleached teeth.....A1 is still an excellent result though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Peanut81 wrote: »
    Which brand would you reccomend?

There you go:)...try 15%....although the last time I ordered some bleach they`d increased the concentration of the 15% to 16%.....and 20% to 22%

The 35% should not be used in home bleaching kits.....we use it to bleach...or at least try to bleach root filled...or dead teeth.

http://www.optident.co.uk/ShopFront/Manufacturer.aspx?ManufacturerId=5&White - CP

or go to downloads...and click on White Dental Beauty...then download the brochure

Don`t forget...you must get your teeth checked by a Dentist before you bleach them......I normally take radio-graphs to check for any cavities....the bleach can damage the nerve of any carious teeth....and remember your teeth may not be suitable for bleaching....Dental bleaches will only whiten natural tooth structure...They will not whiten old fillings.....and they don`t work very well on teeth that are discoloured due to tetracycline staining...or root filled or "dead teeth.

Additionally your Dentist will be able to make a custom fit bleaching tray....Some on-line sites give you the kit to make the tray...Trust me you`ll do a shit job....Bleaching trays are specially made to allow the bleach to stay in contact with your teeth.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got one of those rio blue light sets for about £27 from Argos and I was thinking why do I always waste money! I was actually really surprised, it works for me and they'd probably get whiter but I ran out of gel. Happy enough with how they look at the moment though, it seems to work well on yellow teeth.

Not that mine were manky thick yellow to start with or anything :p It's only a small device so it's not like it's really messy or hard to use and it's not the best gum shield but hell you can't get fairer than that if it works
  • Options
    Bob22ABob22A Posts: 6,830
    Forum Member
    Be careful about looking at pictures. A lot of the brightness wears off in the first 7 days so if you're going to see pics ask to see later ones.. LOL.. as if they'll have them.

The risk of sensitivity would worry me but I suppose it depends on how discoloured your teeth are as to what risk you are willing to take.

It is preety much a waste of money unless you can afford to go every few months.

Most of the stars that have perfect whiter then white teeth are like that because it is not their teeth. They will be veeners and even they ned a fair amount of maintainance
    and it can cause problems with the teeth as they have to shave a few miron off of them to fit the veneers
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    I`am a Dentist....A1 is not the whitest shade.....There are lighter shades.....Since bleaching has become more common there is a new shade guide for bleached teeth.....A1 is still an excellent result though.

Hi,
    Can I ask you a question please?
    I visited my dentist to ask about ZOOM tooth whitening, but he said I would be an unsuitable case because I have two porcelain veneers on front teeth.
    Is this true?
    And also, can I use the gel tray whitening kit with veneers? I don't want to pull the veneers out or damage them by accident.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bob22A wrote: »
    It is preety much a waste of money unless you can afford to go every few months.

Most of the stars that have perfect whiter then white teeth are like that because it is not their teeth. They will be veeners and even they ned a fair amount of maintainance
    and it can cause problems with the teeth as they have to shave a few miron off of them to fit the veneers

Wrong....wrong....and wrong.....Bleaching is fantastic....it`s not suitable for everyone.....Yes some people will have Porcelain Veneers....but only because their teeth are not suitable for bleaching......and it`s not microns that are shaved off....it`s much more than that.....These days the younger stars with otherwise healthy teeth will have them bleached

eg...Kelly Brook....bleached.....Simon Cowel Porcelain Veneers

I have personally bleached the teeth of 50 to 60yr old patients....and the results have been stunning.....and the patients have been more than happy with the results....ecstatic would be a more apt word.
  • Options
    Bob22ABob22A Posts: 6,830
    Forum Member
    Wrong....wrong....and wrong.....Bleaching is fantastic....it`s not suitable for everyone.....Yes some people will have Porcelain Veneers....but only because their teeth are not suitable for bleaching......and it`s not microns that are shaved off....it`s much more than that.....These days the younger stars with otherwise healthy teeth will have them bleached

eg...Kelly Brook....bleached.....Simon Cowel Porcelain Veneers

I have personally bleached the teeth of 50 to 60yr old patients....and the results have been stunning.....and the patients have been more than happy with the results....ecstatic would be a more apt word.

Yes well you would say that being a dentist. Dentist make a fortune out of bleaching teeth
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Meljduk wrote: »
    Hi,
    Can I ask you a question please?
    I visited my dentist to ask about ZOOM tooth whitening, but he said I would be an unsuitable case because I have two porcelain veneers on front teeth.
    Is this true?
    And also, can I use the gel tray whitening kit with veneers? I don't want to pull the veneers out or damage them by accident.

Ok....I see many pt`s like yourself.....the bleach will not whiten your Veneers....I`ll try and keep this brief.....if all your other teeth are otherwise healthy and suitable for bleaching.....then we bleach these teeth.....when it`s apparent they will not whiten any more....we remove the old Veneers and replace them with new ones to match the shade of your bleached teeth.......This is such a common scenario these days that new bleaching shades have been developed by the manufactures of Dental Porcelain....Your Dentist will undoubtedly have to use one of these new shades of Porcelain to match you newly bleached teeth.

Sorry to be so brief.....I normally spend quite a bit of time with my patients explaining all the pro`s and cons of bleaching teeth as every case is different.:)

And also, can I use the gel tray whitening kit with veneers? I don't want to pull the veneers out or damage them by accident

Yes....but if you want your Veneers to match your bleached teeth they will sadly need to be replaced.