What things do people say that unreasonably get on your nerves?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    PeteJB wrote: »
    I'm shagging your mum

Worse is "You're shagging my mum"
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you make a statement and someone replies

'In other words...'

No...if I had wanted to use 'other words, then I would have used them, would'nt I?
  • Old BlokeOld Bloke Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k-bola wrote: »
    People who ring me and then say: 'I'm going to let you go now'.

Arrogant tw#ts. I go when I want not when you let me.:mad:

That usually means they want to go!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,481
    Forum Member
    k-bola wrote: »
    People who ring me and then say: 'I'm going to let you go now'.

Arrogant tw#ts. I go when I want not when you let me.:mad:

I know someone who says "I'll let you get on, then" ie f*ck off.

I wouldn't mind so much but it's my own son :(
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hubby

what am I meant to call him on a forum?
    Elanor wrote: »
    Urgh. I used to know someone who went on (and ON) about 'hubs' and 'bubs'. They both had perfectly good names. I should get a medal for not having killed her.

my brother in law continually calls his fiancee "babe" it wouldn't be so bad but it makes me think he doesn't know her name :D
  • JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    what am I meant to call him on a forum?

my brother in law continually calls his fiancee "babe" it wouldn't be so bad but it makes me think he doesn't know her name :D

Someone at work calls his wife 'babe' probably 5-6 times in every phone conversation. I can honestly say in 11 yrs I've never heard him call her by her name.

I'm always suspicious of men who use a general term - makes me wonder if they have multiple women....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know he's cheated once at the beginning of the relationship, but to still call her babe?

And another thing that annoys me, is he continually moans infront of her he "isn't getting any" I dunno if its a joke or not but if it was me I'd belt him!
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JoTaylor wrote: »
    Someone at work calls his wife 'babe' probably 5-6 times in every phone conversation. I can honestly say in 11 yrs I've never heard him call her by her name.

Me and my wife have several "pet" names for each other (babe is one of them).

If my wife calls me by my first name I worry because it usually means I'm in the dog house about something :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you make a statement and someone replies

'In other words...'

No...if I had wanted to use 'other words, then I would have used them, would'nt I?

That annoys me too. What they are really saying is "I have a better grasp of the English Language than you do, plus I know how you really feel even if you dont'"
  • JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Moony wrote: »
    Me and my wife have several "pet" names for each other (babe is one of them).

If my wife calls me by my first name I worry because it usually means I'm in the dog house about something :D

My husband never calls me anything but Jo (you've got me wondering why now why I've not got a pet name :() but if he calls me Joanne then I know I'm heading for the naughty step :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get called princess, angel or darling, but mostly my name
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BP4L wrote: »
    Connected to the last point people who say “Season” instead of “Series”. I can perhaps understand it if it’s an American shows but people still do it with British shows. Say it with me people S-E-R-I-E-S.

I'm half with you and half against you there. I think of the word "show", when describing drama or comedy series that regularly appear on television as more of an American phrase than a British one. Doctor Who, Lost and The Office are programmes to me. Shows have more of a stage-based or theatre feel to them in my book and would include things like The One Show, Newsnight, Jonathon Ross and X-Factor.

I may very well be alone with this theory.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really really hate it when people use 'we' when they mean 'you'. As in 'how are we today?' - AAARGH! It drives me up the wall. Or when they ask you 'how's Elanor today?' Why on earth can't they say 'how are you?'
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When someone shouts a warning and says "HEADS UP"--- "LOOK OUT" is the correct term, you f***wit.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Protesting" something instead of "protesting against" something.

I've been irked by several invitations to me to "Protest the Pope" - not because I disagree with the sentiment, but because of the Americanism.
  • mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    I really really hate it when people use 'we' when they mean 'you'. As in 'how are we today?' - AAARGH! It drives me up the wall. Or when they ask you 'how's Elanor today?' Why on earth can't they say 'how are you?'

I'm with you / we / Elanor on this one - misuse of pronouns.

I am frequently irritated by the voicemail message of a single friend of mine that says " We are not available at the moment..."
    Who are we?
    Have you got a partner or flatmate?

No- you live on your own, so why WE?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    "That's not what your mum said last night"

I just reply with
    "wanna say that to my dad?" :D
  • LittleMinx25LittleMinx25 Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when people start there sentences with "right" and end it with "innit"
    :mad::mad::mad:
  • RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Now on Sky 1 it's Pineapple Dance Studios"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'm sitting there minding my own business, feeling perfectly happy and just kinda daydreaming, when someone walks past and goes.... "cheer up".

f**king hate it.
  • ribtickleribtickle Posts: 6,361
    Forum Member
    I've been watching Lost tonight, and there's an episode where two characters have a conversation and they keep saying 'furrow' instead of thorough.
  • suez_channelsuez_channel Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    What's all this "times" thing people use now e.g. "pub times!!!!!!"

Did anyone see the Mitchell & Webb sketch tonight where Mitchell as the boss pulled a gun out and shot staff members for saying "haitch" instead of "aitch" - "pacifically" instead of "specifically", and turned the gun on himself (why didn't they postpone it in these sensitive times, after the Raoul case*) for saying "ignorami" instead of "ignoramuses". Those examples drive me up the wall too.

Also "mute point" instead of "moot point" - grrrrr.

EDIT * am not pro-RM
  • ribtickleribtickle Posts: 6,361
    Forum Member
    Another thing. In cowboy or war movies, when they're all getting ready to shoot at the enemy, the man in charge will order them to "shoot at will", then they all open fire, which you'd imagine would be a pretty unsurvivable onslaught, but...

...you never get to hear if Will got shot or not.

....and it's never explained why they're picking on him.

;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who put "tbh" at the end of every statement, usually on facebook statuses. (My cousin is guilty of this and it drives me mad!)

People who pronounce the plural of "text" as "texters", often seen on Jeremy Kyle e.g "she keeps sending me loads of texters"...It's TEXTS for goodness sake!!

People who pronounce 6th as "Sikth". It's an x not a k!

People who say "arks"/"arksed" instead of "ask"/"ask".

I'm sure there are more :D
  • Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any word where the person pronounces "TH" as "F"

"Firty Fousand Pounds." It's THirty THousand!:mad: