A Cat Named Easter - A Tori Amos Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    gigi4 - no i really love classical music but the mastering of the album annoys me … her voice is too dry in the mix! But i am so excited for her to go back to her dark, ethereal and quirky style…. i just managed to get my tickets today too…. I'm watching her at the symphony hall…just because last time every seat was a great view and the sound was superb!
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gigi4 - no i really love classical music but the mastering of the album annoys me … her voice is too dry in the mix! But i am so excited for her to go back to her dark, ethereal and quirky style…. i just managed to get my tickets today too…. I'm watching her at the symphony hall…just because last time every seat was a great view and the sound was superb!

Oh really? I guess I'm not an audophile since I don't fixate too much on those technical things. I know some fans have criticized her recent work but I love all her new contemporary pop albums so I'm sure I will love the new one. I think Abnormally Attracted to Sin is a very underrated album. The only albums I don't enjoy are the holiday album Midwinter Graces, Night of the Hunters and her rerecorded old song album Gold Dust. It's been way too long since Abnormally Attracted to Sin, so I"m so excited for a new album!
    Forum Member
    gigi - no it sounds like your right on track with us … her last few adventures into more classical (midwinter and night of hunters) have largely been below our expectations in terms of quality of production - for the vocal. The songs remain great! 'Abnormally addicted to Sin' was her last 'normal artistic album'. It was great but also plagued with production problems. She needs to ditch hubby as mastering and producer executive - sorry! .

The odd thing was that i always wanted a Tori Amos - orchestral album; christmas album and cover album…. because they really play to her strengths but oddly enough these have been her weakest albums! Still great…and outstanding in places…. but not as amazing as perhaps expected and possible
    - that her live performances showcase!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guess I'm not into the whole orchestra thing. I think it has become a cliche. A lot of pop artists have done orchestra reinventions of their older songs. I know people associate Tori with classical, but I actually associate her more with alternative/indie music. I kind of her think of her as a 90's triology with Bjork and PJ Harvey rather than as a classical artist. I actually love her covers album Strange Little Girls which covered more contemporary pop songs. Absolutely love Rattlesnakes from that album.
  • That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it weird that I think Night of Hunters is her strongest in around a decade? Star Whisperer is so amazing. That instrumental in the middle..and seeing it live twice..wow! Gold Dust is nice too. I think people are a bit harsh on Tori. It's not Choirgirl or Scarlet, I admit that, but still, her work is so far above any of the shite released from the more popular artists of today.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finally got round to giving tori a go after fobing her off for a pale imitation of Kate Bush and whilst there are similarites there are similarites to Pj, Sarah Mclachlan etc and i was pleasently surprised will definitely be going to go purchase her back catalogue :)
    Forum Member
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Is it weird that I think Night of Hunters is her strongest in around a decade? Star Whisperer is so amazing. That instrumental in the middle..and seeing it live twice..wow! Gold Dust is nice too. I think people are a bit harsh on Tori. It's not Choirgirl or Scarlet, I admit that, but still, her work is so far above any of the shite released from the more popular artists of today.

sorry that guy…maybe we are being a little harsh…your right…i thought that it goes without saying that all her work is great … and she is a genius! Just felt that Night of the hunters - while being great annoyed me because of the dry vocal… it could have been even better!
    Forum Member
    hav mar - which albums have you listened to so far?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think some fans are too harsh on her. There's a group of fans who hate everything except Little Earthquakes and Under the Pink and just want her to go down to that stripped down piano confessional lyric style. But she's at a different place in her life now, being married with a child then she was when she made those records so you can't expect her music to sound the same.
    But at the same time you can still be a fan of an artist and not like every single record they do or like some records better than others. Especially with someone like Tori who changes a lot and experiments with different sounds, it's normal that fans will like some records better than others because everyone has different taste in music.
  • crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The album title is very unusual and quirky, excited to hear what it's all about!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's not weird at all, I completely agree that 'Night of Hunters' is her best release since 'Scarlet's Walk'. I remember it being very well-received by critics too, much more so than the likes of 'Abnormally Attracted to Sin' and 'The Beekeeper'. I love that 'Night of Hunters' really highlights her stunning piano work, which isn't quite so prevalent in a lot of her other 21st century work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    embryo wrote: »
    It's not weird at all, I completely agree that 'Night of Hunters' is her best release since 'Scarlet's Walk'. I remember it being very well-received by critics too, much more so than the likes of 'Abnormally Attracted to Sin' and 'The Beekeeper'. I love that 'Night of Hunters' really highlights her stunning piano work, which isn't quite so prevalent in a lot of her other 21st century work.

It was very well received by critics so far enough if people like it, but personally I didn't like it so much. I guess for me I don't like the pure piano stuff. I much prefer stuff like Abnormally Attracted to Sin and Beekeeper that mixes in other instruments that the just pure piano, not being pure classical fan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey Pele i have Tales of a Librarian and have dabbled on Spotify her first three will be my starting point Under the Pink seems like a good place to start LE will be the starting point of course :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    Hey Pele i have Tales of a Librarian and have dabbled on Spotify her first three will be my starting point Under the Pink seems like a good place to start LE will be the starting point of course :)

Of her later albums, I recommend From the Choirgirl hotel and Scarlet's Walk.
    Forum Member
    hav mar - gh's is always a good place to start …. which tracks are you faves?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the reccomendation's guys :)

Fave tracks Pele are:

Cornflake Girl
    Winter
    Crucify
    Precious Things
    Silent All these Years
    Spark
    Bliss
  • Madonna38Madonna38 Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone got tickets for the tour in May? Going to Birmingham so far but i'll probably end up getting a London ticket at some point.
    Forum Member
    yep I've got symphony hall tickets - so excited!!! Love that venue!
  • Madonna38Madonna38 Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yep I've got symphony hall tickets - so excited!!! Love that venue!

Same, i bloody love the Symphony hall. It's not too big, I last saw Cyndi Lauper there and that was great. I saw Tori last time at the Royal Albert Hall though and I love that venue too so I may get tickets for that show too.

I hope the next album is a good 'un.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some fans are speculating that the new album will be just piano and Tori's voice thus the "unrepentant' in the title. Plus, Live Nation put out a picture promoting the tour and album with just a drawing of a piano. Not sure how I feel about that, but it would be interesting and different from her recent pop albums.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waiting for the phone to ring..
  • BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    Just listened to Little Earthquakes... what a fantastic album it is! Not a song I dislike and all of them seem heartfelt. I think my favourite is Winter :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was the song that introduced me to Tori. Listening to From Russia With Love now. Amazing. Love Dragon.
    Forum Member
    Isn't 'Dragon' such a hidden treasure?

I hope this new album is as promised a move away from the classical and to the pianistic quirky realism of 'little earthquakes' and 'under the pink' ...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope this new album is as promised a move away from the classical and to the pianistic quirky realism of 'little earthquakes' and 'under the pink' ...

Yes, I definitely hope she moves away from classical. I'm not sure about going back to the first two albums and its purely piano sound. Actually her some songs on Little Earthquakes are almost classical in their use of strings like Winter. I think a purely piano based sound might be a little predictable for her. I would like her to combine piano with some electronics like she did on To Venus and Back. I was listening to Suzanne's Vega's back catalogue in preparation for her new album being released and was enjoying 99. F. I could see Tori doing some electronic influenced stuff like that.