Options

Voting results up

13»

Comments

• Options
    ABCZYXABCZYX Posts: 12,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I think both Hayley and Ray had their fans from the beginning, but I don't think Hayley necessarily had more fans than Ray - probably the difference being that Hayleys fans voted more throughout the series as they probably felt she was more at risk than Ray. Could be wrong, but I suspect Ray might also have had fans who don't make a habit of voting, but went out there way to do it in the final. Its hard to tell who has the most fans, as we only see the fans who made an effort to vote.

I think Hayley did as well as she did in the voting because of the friendship between herself and Dan and because of all of the jazz hands routines she kept getting. Whilst those routines may not be popular on here, I think on the whole, they'd be very popular amongst the majority of the public because I think that's what would grab their attention rather than the routines that focus more on the skating.

Ray being in the bottom two the week before might have saved him and have caused more people to vote for him in the final.
  • Options
    slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    I do think that Haleys votes were more for Dan than her

I think Dan is more popular than his celeb partners
  • Options
    humpty dumptyhumpty dumpty Posts: 4,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarah Anne wrote: »
    People keep saying about his ego. I didn't see it. He seemed gracious on defeat and hasn't bad mouthed anyone on twitter. I think he was desperate to win that was all. Probably because dancing on ice was so special to him after meeting his wife to be.

Ray has innate talent, is confident in his abilities, and loves to entertain. Thats why he is so good to watch. He doesn't pretend otherwise, he doesn't have false modesty, but would say he loved the routine, say he wanted to bring it on, say he was pleased with his performance. I like the fact hes genuine, and not putting on a 'display' that so many on these shows do, to get the public vote.

But that is all to do with his performance and what makes him shine. Artists and performers need to have confidence otherwise it doesn't work. I think thats very different to how you are as a person, though. As mentioned earlier, hes shown hes a great sport in defeat (see xfactor) and he comes across as bubbly, friendly and down to earth. So supportive to his partner, believes he wouldn't have got to the final without her, handing her the trophy when he won to give Maria her moment and did nothing but big up his other contestants with genuine compliments. Of course that is just my opinion, but looking at the people who have been working closest with him...Maria (who obviously admires and respects him so much just by the way she behaves) T&D who say its been nothing but fun and a pleasure working with him...and even the production staff had them as their favourite because he was so easy to work with and such a good laugh. I doubt he'd be liked so much if he was the cocky, arrogant person people think he is.

He loves to entertain and he competes to win, I don't see anything wrong with that if hes nice with it. He loved the show and gave everything he had in his performances, and thank goodness he did as we got to see such great ones every week.
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think that Haleys votes were more for Dan than her

I think Dan is more popular than his celeb partners

Aren't Dan's fans called Dan's Diva's? I've seen banners on the tours.

It certainly helps with the votes, though the celeb has to have their own fans too - some of Dan's partners have only gone so far (Linda Lusardi, Roxanne Pallet, Jennifer Metcalfe). So it's not people only voting for him.

Lucasz is usually one of the pro's out first, so it was nice too see him stay so long this time :)

Also the last two or three years, Maria has been out of the comp early, so I was pleased she went all the way to the trophy this year :D
  • Options
    daniel_farrellydaniel_farrelly Posts: 1,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    Aren't Dan's fans called Dan's Diva's? I've seen banners on the tours.

It certainly helps with the votes, though the celeb has to have their own fans too - some of Dan's partners have only gone so far (Linda Lusardi, Roxanne Pallet, Jennifer Metcalfe). So it's not people only voting for him.

Lucasz is usually one of the pro's out first, so it was nice too see him stay so long this time :)

Also the last two or three years, Maria has been out of the comp early, so I was pleased she went all the way to the trophy this year :D

Dan wasn't paired with Jennifer. He was paired with Kerry Katona that year.
  • Options
    coral_janecoral_jane Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    So Ray & Maria were never up there with the girls? Always coming from behind in the public vote - I wonder why?

Interesting to hear Phil Schofield say on "This Morning" yesterday that Ray was the favourite with the Production team. "Easy to work with and a lot of fun" (in his words).
  • Options
    MerityMerity Posts: 933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Interesting to hear Phil Schofield say on "This Morning" yesterday that Ray was the favourite with the Production team. "Easy to work with and a lot of fun" (in his words).

How nice to read that.
    Ray has always come across as a lovely guy to me.... nice to hear it confirmed....:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I meant the one that kicked herself in the head with a skate?

*goes to google*

Jennifer Ellison - I got the first name :D
  • Options
    Sarah AnneSarah Anne Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just can't believe how low Sams vote was. To have Todd above you must be salt in the wound.
    Sam was very lucky to make it to the semi final. Though I found him so talented.
  • Options
    shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member

poor sod!
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    ABCZYX wrote: »
    I think Hayley did as well as she did in the voting because of the friendship between herself and Dan and because of all of the jazz hands routines she kept getting. Whilst those routines may not be popular on here, I think on the whole, they'd be very popular amongst the majority of the public because I think that's what would grab their attention rather than the routines that focus more on the skating.

Ray being in the bottom two the week before might have saved him and have caused more people to vote for him in the final.

That's the problem with the series. They could get their best 3 to the final in a normal series because everyone else was notably worse. In this one, the judging was-an unreliable guide, the judges had no criteria to assess more closely matched contestants, there was a choice of good contestants to split the vote, and all sorts of other factors were more important in every vote before the last one. .

You are probably right that those factors mattered. The first though is a non argument for voting for anyone. Who was with whom was in the hands of the powers that be. Only 3 contestants were with their original partners. If Dan had been with Beth, we would have been told about her wonderful relationship with Dan - instead Hayley was advantaged and Beth was disadvantaged. Its very odd to reward someone for being friends with someone else, odder when someone else made it possible for them and impossible for others.

The second reason was entirely due to who gave out and wrote the routines. Hayley got what she could do and ,as you said, a lot of people might like a decent dance number with little difficulty in it. However, that left others doing the more difficult moves Hayley couldn't, and not getting the Hayley dance routines that they could do at least as well. People who voted for that, effectively ended up voting for the routine, the choice of who got it, and the logic that that was what you got if you couldn't do much difficult but were still favored.

It was like having an exam, giving someone a different paper with all easy questions, giving some all the hard questions, and giving some papers with only enough questions to get half marks...........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are probably right that those factors mattered. The first though is a non argument for voting for anyone. Who was with whom was in the hands of the powers that be. Only 3 contestants were with their original partners. If Dan had been with Beth, we would have been told about her wonderful relationship with Dan - instead Hayley was advantaged and Beth was disadvantaged. Its very odd to reward someone for being friends with someone else, odder when someone else made it possible for them and impossible for others.

Even though there was always going to be people who were better than others on the show, I do think it would have been fairer if everyone was given a brand new professional partner, rather than some having who they had before and others not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ABCZYX wrote: »
    Even though there was always going to be people who were better than others on the show, I do think it would have been fairer if everyone was given a brand new professional partner, rather than some having who they had before and others not.

I think Ray would have still done well, even with another partner (he's skated with Alexandra on tour). We can only guess how far Hayley would have got without Dan. She's never partnered anyone else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    I think Ray would have still done well, even with another partner (he's skated with Alexandra on tour). We can only guess how far Hayley would have got without Dan. She's never partnered anyone else.

I expect Ray probably would have still done well and have still more than likely won. I do think it would have been interesting to see just how Hayley would have done if she wasn't with Dan this time round.
  • Options
    DrifterDrifter Posts: 12,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hayley would have been fine - you don't get that amount of votes based on your pro. I can't believe how well she did in week 1 - on first, rubbish routine, and still topped the vote. That's not just Dan, I'd say his votes were minimal.

Also for all we know being with someone else could have helped Hayley - she might have done more difficult moves that Dan has never really done...it can be spun many ways.

Dan has had the benefit of being with popular faces/people likely to get votes since the start, except Kerry Katona. Nearly always ITV soap people, or good skaters. People used to say Matt Evers had his voters - didn't work with Pamela Anderson though did it?
  • Options
    JohnStannardJohnStannard Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    Supprised that Ray wasn't top every week thought he would be