How to return to work after long term sickness

mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
Forum Member
I was signed off by Atos in March and from my understanding I'll have to attend another medical in October

How does the process of returning you back to work go?

Comments

• Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    The longest I was ever off was six months.

When I returned to work I was given the opportunity of a graduated return-that is I returned part time hours for the first 3 months to ease me back in.

My GP wrote it would help me and my work were cool with it-I guess it depends on your work though-some may offer graduated return or you may have to go back full time.

Either way when you do go back try and ease yourself in gently.
  • dmpdmp Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Louise, both times I've been on longterm sick, the companies have allowed me to gradually increase my hours, taking me into work and taking me home when I'd had enough.
    Dave
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    By the time I go back, I'll have been off 10 months (:o), and Occ. Health have suggested that I do half hours the first week, working back up to full time hours over 4 weeks. My immediate boss thinks this is too quick though, so some negotiations will be needed. I have loads of annual leave to take, so will probably throw some of that in the mix to reduce my hours.

Difficult, as you don't really know how tired the hours will make you until you're there - I'm assuming that there is room for negotiation if things aren't going well as you build them up!

Good luck! :)
  • MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sadmuppet wrote: »
    By the time I go back, I'll have been off 10 months (:o), and Occ. Health have suggested that I do half hours the first week, working back up to full time hours over 4 weeks. My immediate boss thinks this is too quick though, so some negotiations will be needed. I have loads of annual leave to take, so will probably throw some of that in the mix to reduce my hours.

Difficult, as you don't really know how tired the hours will make you until you're there - I'm assuming that there is room for negotiation if things aren't going well as you build them up!

Good luck! :)
    With your boss saying a 4 week return is too fast, that's a good sign work are on your side.

My parents had phased returns after long period of sickness - one did one day week, then 2 day week, back up to full time. My dad just went straight back in. It depends on your job, and how YOU feel. If it gets too much, or starts worrying you say straight away, don't let it fester.
  • hils0912hils0912 Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    After mine (granted it was four months), I went in mornings to start the first week, 3 hours, then 4 hours, I added an hour each week after that until I was full time. I was also told that if it was too much too quick I could reduce, but I just wanted some normality.
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    MarzBar85 wrote: »
    With your boss saying a 4 week return is too fast, that's a good sign work are on your side.

My parents had phased returns after long period of sickness - one did one day week, then 2 day week, back up to full time. My dad just went straight back in. It depends on your job, and how YOU feel. If it gets too much, or starts worrying you say straight away, don't let it fester.

I'm very lucky - my boss is very supportive and knows that generally, I do far more than my hours so doesn't want me to fall back into that pattern too quickly (if ever!)

Better to take longer to get back than go in all guns blazing and burn myself out!! :D
  • nobodyherenobodyhere Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go part time, get your body/mind used to it all again

Even if the part time thing is not somewhere you want to be long term, at least when you find the job you really want you'll stand a better chance of getting it as most employers favor those already in work (not saying this is right or wrong just how it is)

There are supportive employers out there but very much in the minority
  • mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    Thanks everyone

I've been off with mental illness, I'm hugely worried no employer will want to employ me in the future with this now part of my history
  • phepiaphepia Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been off work myself since Jan 2012 (2 1/2 years atm) and currently in the support of esa.
    I have been applying for jobs but no one seems to want to employ me.
    I know even getting back into paid work is virtually impossible with this length of non working.
    My employer let me go June 2013, so I don't even have the return of a job, nor could I do the job anyway even if I wanted to do so.
    Surely there is something in place for people like me, who wish to work but have physical and mental barriers to contend with.
    Such a waste - there are people out there on benefits that want to work, but with so many cuts and no help it seems impossible.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,404
    Forum Member
    mintbro wrote: »
    Thanks everyone

I've been off with mental illness, I'm hugely worried no employer will want to employ me in the future with this now part of my history

If you're not going back to any former employer, then l'd see if there's a local charity in your area that places people with health issues with private, public and charitable sector employers. These days, many Job Centres have a dedicated advisor who helps people with health issues explore their future work options and l'd suggest getting in contact with them to see if they can help you. Good luck! :)