Options

Doctor Who: Into The Dalek BBC One/HD 30/08/2014 7.30 pm Official Thread

Comments

• Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    and where's all this stuff about him not being a good man coming from ? the last 2 Smith episodes were very heroic and positive , and why is Clara not sure either ? .

She's not sure about this incarnation of The Doctor as he has a very different personality this one is more than willing to let people die to help his plan along even he himself is not sure if he's a good man

She did say she knows he's wants to be good
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Yup. Suspecting this series will come in for a bit of criticism from new who fans. 10 years of being too used to quick fire dialogue & zany wacky doctors with a show tuned to pop culture (it wasn't as bad under Moffat) & suddenly BAM an actor of Capaldi's calibre is in there killing it.
    Actually, I reckon the McGann mini-sode Night of the Doctor has turned out to be a great little preview of the overall feel of Series 8 it seems.

I was introduced to the show with new who and love the tone of this new series so don't presume those who like what we've had wouldn't also like this. Moffat's era, for me, never matched up to the RTD era but if the rest of the series can keep up the quality of the past two episodes and the arc is explained well then this series could be up there with the best of the RTD series.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Enjoyed this quite a lot, much more than last week. I think Capaldi was excellent, he out acts everyone else in the episode, and I'm loving how dark his doctor is.

Capaldi has made me realise how little I liked Matt Smith's wacky, zany Doctor.
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally. Proper Daleks for the first time in nearly ten years. Will have to rewatch. Certainly a great episode. Classic? Possibly not due to familiar elements from past episodes. But please. Can we get Ben Wheatley back as soon as possible. The best director the show has had thus far. And Danny Pinks brief introduction. Suddenly Moffat and Ford seem able to cram alot into brief scenes that have some meaning. This season already has more heart and soul than any of Moffats previous.

2008 was only six years ago. Agree with your last sentence re today's episode, but not re last week's.
  • Options
    elven62elven62 Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    It may just be my failing ears but I have struggled to make out some of the dialogue both this week and last :(. Spoils the flow when I have to keep rewinding on Sky plus to try and decipher what has just been said.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's hard to believe the show-runner is still Steven Moffat.

Since last series each episode is lacking narrative/story, instead it's "stuff happens".
    A concept is presented instead, "high concept" as they say in the movie business. That's not a good thing, "high concept" is used to sell a film to an audience, such films are usually terrible but have an attractive premise such as "the doctor is shrunk and placed inside a Dalek".

Basically this show would not have got a 2nd series if it had begun like this in 2005. Audiences need story and real humans within it. And Peter Capaldi is too well known in other roles to convince as The Doctor.
  • Options
    etldlrletldlrl Posts: 6,162
    Forum Member
    Are the people who scarifice themselves for the doctor going to heaven?....

It is too early to say for sure but I think you might be on to something here. Lets see if the pattern holds as we go on.
  • Options
    steven87gillsteven87gill Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was nowhere near as bad as Asylum.

Asylum wasn't bad, it just didn't do anything to bring the Dalek story full circle, basically it was a very enjoyable action adventure romp, a somewhat superficial mini movie (basically the theme of series 7, nowt wrong with that, nothing wrong with a bit of sugar now and then)

Dalek worked because suddenly you had a bit of character development, then less than 5 weeks later they return, the reset button is pushed on all & we've gotten the same old 1 dimensional Daleks from then on in. Until now.

Now, although it didn't end quite how the Doctor wanted, in a sense this has taken that story full circle and we have a Dalek finally realising that his people are evil & possibly have a civil war on our hands.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a strong feeling PC will be a tale of two doctors the older Fan base are going to love him I suspect the younger fans are going to have a problem. I really hope that doesn't turn out to be the case because its flying in the face of what DW was about before pretty boy came along.
  • Options
    HestiaHestia Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    Enjoyed this quite a lot, much more than last week. I think Capaldi was excellent, he out acts everyone else in the episode, and I'm loving how dark his doctor is.

Just this, completely.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's not sure about this incarnation of The Doctor as he has a very different personality this one is more than willing to let people die to help his plan along even he himself is not sure if he's a good man

She did say she knows he's wants to be good

she wasn't sure about him before any of that .

• Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PaleHorse wrote: »
    So it's yet another "appeal to the monster's better nature", "Love saves the day" BS endings.
    I'd go back and watch it again if I were you.

That may have been the Doctor's plan but what actually happened is that. Rusty learned to hate the daleks as much as the Doctor did. The doctor turned him into a racist psychopath, well he already was one and the Doctor just redirected his hatred towards his own race.

Not exactly the "all you need is love" message you seem to have imagined.
  • Options
    doctorcheeseydoctorcheesey Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    Loving the cap doctor, ambivalent, aloof, ALIEN, just what the doctor should be, the pacing, feel, etc, more grown up and old school who in tone, spot on...... have enjoyed nu who, but the zanyness and primary school colours etc blunted it for me, now, since the 50th, which served as a wake up call, in the sense that it gave a insight as to how the doctor was, and war doctor giving a insight to whats to come.

The doctor is NOT your boyfriend

Keep it up.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elven62 wrote: »
    It may just be my failing ears but I have struggled to make out some of the dialogue both this week and last :(. Spoils the flow when I have to keep rewinding on Sky plus to try and decipher what has just been said.

yeah I was finding it difficult this week .
  • Options
    Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know set up this thread, but I forgot to add a poll. Could it be possible for the mods at DS to add one to this thread?:confused::)

On the episode itself, its hard to believe this is only Capaldi's second episode, its seriously good.:)
  • Options
    16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Asylum was trash and I'm amazed that some would actually rate it higher than this episode, but opinions and all that. Amy and Rory are getting a divorce for some reason, with no prior build up within the series itself! They hate each other now! Oh, no they don't! Everything's fine again!

Not my cup of tea thanks, but this episode most definitely was.
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given it was 20 pages of moaning from about five people, I won't miss them. Hundreds turned up to vote in the poll last week, and millions watched. That's the important thing.

Not really much point in the thread then is there? "Roll eyes". Might just as well have one page just for voting. Don't think your arithmetic is very good either.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    she wasn't sure about him before any of that .

Last week he seemed to be willing to let her die to

If he doesn't know himself how is she supposed to know

People make note that she has met all The Doctors well she more than anyone knows they are all very different.

She knows he is almost mirror image of 11 yes she knows inside he is still The Doctor but he does things very different to the one she knew best
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Capaldi is brilliant.

Very strong, interesting episode. Initial reaction....that's a 9/10. I'll probably come back to waffle on when I've watched it a few times.
  • Options
    steven87gillsteven87gill Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I understand where you're coming from with Smith, but watch his first series, there's no wacky, zany doctor to be found, If fact, I'd say he's nearly as dark & alien as Capaldi at times.
  • Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    2008 was only six years ago. Agree with your last sentence re today's episode, but not re last week's.

6 years since Journey's End? Oh dear, this forum knows how to make me feel old! :D
  • Options
    garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    Iqbal_M wrote: »
    I know set up this thread, but I forgot to add a poll. Could it be possible for the mods at DS to add one to this thread?:confused::)

On the episode itself, its hard to believe this is only Capaldi's second episode, its seriously good.:)

You do it yourself click on thread tools add a poll
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    garbage456 wrote: »
    How? How will he be a good addition? I want Daleks, aliens, other planets. Not a Damn pc teacher falling in love with Clara.

What's a pc teacher? :confused: Did you mean PE? And he wasn't.
  • Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The difficult second episode !!!

I didn't like this as much as the season opener for a variety of reasons :

Good Dalek. Been there and done that with "Dalek".

"Am I a good man" .....so we have Clara worrying all last episode about the Doctor and now we have the Doctor worrying..give it a rest already !! Spoiler..they don't !! Also a bit of gratuitous lack of empathy from the Doctor to cement the series-long navel gazing we are going to have to put up with.

The set design for the interior of the Dalek was embarrassingly amateur..shocking...And bore no relationship to what you might think it looked like from episodes like Dalek. All conveniently handy for walking around in.

The Doctor exhorts Clara to go off and " do something clever" which she duly does...bit like a human sonic screwdriver !! Imagine yourself in the same position as Clara , inside an Alien armour with no other info and no clue how things work..but you can still sort it.

There were a couple of nice pieces, the conversation near the end where the Doctor is talking the Dalek into being good again, but for me the episode had "must try harder 2/5" scrawled over it in big red letters.

Capaldi has the best lines still, "yes he'll be the top layers if you want to say a few words".

Clara interchanging between being in mortal danger and going on a date is ridiculous and the Doctor constantly needing her is not good.
  • Options
    PaleHorsePaleHorse Posts: 5,681
    Forum Member
    Rorschach wrote: »
    I'd go back and watch it again if I were you.

That may have been the Doctor's plan but what actually happened is that. Rusty learned to hate the daleks as much as the Doctor did. The doctor turned him into a racist psychopath, well he already was one and the Doctor just redirected his hatred towards his own race.

Not exactly an "all you need is love" message you seem to have imagined.

This is the third time someone has felt the need to correct me, and I think it's about time I corrected one of you. :) Friend, I posted it just before they made the switch and revealed that the Dalek had tapped into the Doctor's hate. BIB - So if I were you, I'd pay attention to what time certain people actually posted certain things.