Lollipop 5.0 the slowest roll out ever

2»

Comments

• Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    Not sure about that. Even if everyone had installed it, Apple would have just made another update (as they did for the few that did download it) available.

Of course one of the big issues with android isn't how long it takes to get the update, it is the lottery of if you get it at all.

One of those updates turned iPhones into iPods as it killed the mobile data, they were lucky they stopped it that quickly. Making a fix takes time which is inconvenient for the user. It took days. I think it's better to update gradually, observe if there are any problems and have them contained than make the whole globe your guinea pig.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    One of those updates turned iPhones into iPods as it killed the mobile data, they were lucky they stopped it that quickly. Making a fix takes time which is inconvenient for the user. It took days. I think it's better to update gradually, observe if there are any problems and have them contained than make the whole globe your guinea pig.

It didn't take days to fix. They allowed you to revert back to the previous release.

Your approach just delays the release for users and still does not guarantee a bug free experience.

However, it is not googles releases to its own devices that makes the roll out so slow, it is the whole fragmented set-up.
  • Options
    tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My iPad Air wasn't the same until the third iteration of iOS8 which took about a week to be released so I wouldn't call it immediate in that case.

The other thing is I think people get caught up on wanting the latest update right away when in fact it never exactly revolutionises your device. Current flagship phones running KitKat are still pretty good phones :)
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    It didn't take days to fix. They allowed you to revert back to the previous release.

Your approach just delays the release for users and still does not guarantee a bug free experience.

However, it is not googles releases to its own devices that makes the roll out so slow, it is the whole fragmented set-up.

It did take days to fix for some users that either didn't have a computer or didn't have access to one which you needed to roll back.

Anyway, if you want fast updates, you buy a Nexus. Or in this case, an LG G3 which was updated to lollipop within weeks of release.
  • Options
    ChrysalisChrysalis Posts: 592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's actually being rolled out quicker than usual. Some of the flagship devices such as the LG G3 and the Galaxy S5 already have it. In the past most non nexus devices wouldn't be updated until February/March so they are doing a little better this year. However due to the nature of android and its availability on such a wide variery of different handsets updates will never be like iOS updates. They will always be staggered.

Note the standard S5 the G900F is no longer supplied in germany, france and on UK's biggest provider EE.

The G901F does not have lollipop.

But I have mainly heard bad things about it anyway, seems kitkat is better.
  • Options
    ironlegironleg Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    It did take days to fix for some users that either didn't have a computer or didn't have access to one which you needed to roll back.

Anyway, if you want fast updates, you buy a Nexus. Or in this case, an LG G3 which was updated to lollipop within weeks of release.

I bought a Nexus!! Fast update but faulty, Google haven't got this one right. I and many Nexus 4 users have been waiting since mid December for an official fix with no roll back offered. Just their forum staff telling you flash 5.0.1 via a PC but at your own risk.
    As i said in my previous post, my first dodgy update from them, but it proves it could happen to any company. Yes many happy users with other phones (or not so happy reading some comments about Lollipop), maybe they rushed it out too quick? I just hope they fix it soon.
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a moto e, anyone received an update for this phone yet?