Capital FM Network (Part 2)

Comments

• dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jayma wrote: »
    Don't know if it's the same one they use on CapitalFM East Midlands, but theirs is 'Sirius' by Alan Parson's Project.

Does anyone know what's happened to Twiggy from East Midlands Drivetime? I don't regularly listen, but there was a different presenter last week I think while Emma was on holiday, and this week, she now appears on her own as Emma Caldwell instead of Twiggy and Emma. Just wondering if it was his choice to go, or whether they finally decided he'd had his day?

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1841978
  • JaymaJayma Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    dpb wrote: »

Ah, thanks. Thought he'd left, but just wondering the circumstances. :)
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Pretty much all Breakfast shows are speech heavy though. Capital Birmingham's Breakfast Show averages 9-11 songs in each hour. Compared to Free Radio who average 6-8 songs per hour, Capital Birmingham is much more music intensive.

9-11 songs an hour is not very much (no offense).
  • WillumWillum Posts: 1,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    9-11 songs an hour is not very much (no offense).
    But you've got to still cram in news / travel bulletins, plus not to mention at least a couple of ad breaks...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    Willum wrote: »
    But you've got to still cram in news / travel bulletins, plus not to mention at least a couple of ad breaks...

It's still not much, even with that probably about 4/10 of those songs that are played will be edited down to two minutes.
  • HitmusicHitmusic Posts: 2,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 Bruno Mars tracks played in a row right now. Talk about hit music!
  • MusicmasterproxMusicmasterprox Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who came up with the idea of having a tight rotated playlist for Capital? (out of interest)
  • PhilHPhilH Posts: 2,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who came up with the idea of having a tight rotated playlist for Capital? (out of interest)

In the US, tight playlists have been used on Top 40 stations for more than 50 years.
  • simon243simon243 Posts: 3,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every CHR station in the world has a tight playlist. That's been the case since the format was invented in the US 50-odd years ago. And by US standards, Capital's rotations aren't that high - maybe every couple of hours or so for their biggest songs compared to every 75-90 minutes on the likes of Z100 or KIIS.

Atlantic 252, which many on here remember fondly, also had much higher rotations than Capital in its heyday back in the early 90s.
  • PhilHPhilH Posts: 2,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the 60s, WABC New York had a playlist of 77 songs. The current number 1 would be played every hour.

Around this time they had up to 25% listening share.
  • djgeezadjgeeza Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the question was more, who in particular actually decided to apply the format to Capital?
    I may be wrong, but I think the answer there is a combination of Ashley and Richard.

Before Global sorted Capital out, the format was a mess. Swaying from indie music, to a choice/kiss replica, etc.
  • MusicmasterproxMusicmasterprox Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    djgeeza wrote: »
    I think the question was more, who in particular actually decided to apply the format to Capital?
    I may be wrong, but I think the answer there is a combination of Ashley and Richard.

Before Global sorted Capital out, the format was a mess. Swaying from indie music, to a choice/kiss replica, etc.

But with the Re-Cap doing so well, couldn't they allow the presenters/producers to air some ex-chart music that has charted well in previous chart shows (2008 onwards??) Make it so that they could air 3 or 4 ex-playlisted tracks per hour? Spice it up a little

Surely that won't do no harm to the station? Everything else is spot on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But with the Re-Cap doing so well, couldn't they allow the presenters/producers to air some ex-chart music that has charted well in previous chart shows (2008 onwards??) Make it so that they could air 3 or 4 ex-playlisted tracks per hour? Spice it up a little

CHR is rarely about spicing things up, and more about providing a consistent offering no matter what time you tune in.
    Can you clarify what you mean by the 're-cap doing so well'?
    It's on air, but who knows how successful it actually is with listeners?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You only need to look at twitter to see the reaction the re cap gets. It speaks volumes people taking the time to tweet about a radio station.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    Hitmusic wrote: »
    You only need to look at twitter to see the reaction the re cap gets. It speaks volumes people taking the time to tweet about a radio station.
    Just did some research by typing #CapitalRecap into twitter there is 30 tweets today with that hashtag and 12 of them is one person spamming to get Jessie J's new song played and another 4 of they tweets is people requesting songs which have only recently been released. I'd hardly call that people speaking in volumes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't use the hastag #capitalrecap just type in capital recap.... It will flood you're time line with praise for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kierankay wrote: »
    Just did some research by typing #CapitalRecap into twitter

I think they use #thecapitalrecap instead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah capital uses the hastag #thecapitalrecap but a lot of the listeners do not use the hastag. So if he types in just capital recap loads of tweets will come up.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    PhilH wrote: »
    In the US, tight playlists have been used on Top 40 stations for more than 50 years.

What about Galaxy FM? I used to listen to that before it became Capital, and I loved it. I suppose it was maybe more of a "rhythmic" station, but still. It had its songs on high rotation, but nowhere near as much, and not as long, as Capital. And on Galaxy you'd hear some songs once or twice. On Capital I NEVER hear a song once or twice, I hear it 50 times, or never. With Galaxy, it felt like every song that charted, or was released by a major artist would get some spins, even if it wasn't much.

I'm not one of these Global haters or anything. I really like Choice FM, and I feel Heart FM is less repetitive than it used to be. But Capital is honestly just awful compared to Galaxy.
    But with the Re-Cap doing so well, couldn't they allow the presenters/producers to air some ex-chart music that has charted well in previous chart shows (2008 onwards??) Make it so that they could air 3 or 4 ex-playlisted tracks per hour? Spice it up a little.

Capital already does play a lot of old songs (not as much as 3-4 per hour though). Mainly from 2009 onwards, although I hear a few from before then sometimes like SexyBack and Don't Cha. But the problem with this is that it's always the same ones. For example, the only songs from 2009 I hear are Sweet Dreams by Beyonce, a Lady Gaga song, Beautiful by Akon, Dead and Gone by T.I. and a few others. There were hundreds of top 40 hits in 2009, why is it always the same few songs from that year that they play?
  • TeleviixonMaltaTeleviixonMalta Posts: 263
    Forum Member

The reaction to Capital Recap is tiny online compared to #Kisstory every day
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reaction to Capital Recap is tiny online compared to #Kisstory every day

That's because kisstory is such a strong brand as its been going for decades. The kisstory brand is so strong it's even got it's own radio starion!

The recap would be much more popular if capital had some backbone and played songs from years ago. It's almost like they think us listeners would freak out and switch stations!
  • -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,878
    Forum Member
    It's almost like they think us listeners would freak out and switch stations!

It's almost the opposite for me!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    It feels like Capital are trying to make some more hype for the weekends now. Twitter #CapitalWeekend and Steve Angello recorded from EDC Vegas last night on Andi's show.
  • t0264t0264 Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://is.gd/fbdq5a

Been bugging me for ages, anyone know what the music in the background is?

As for the music, was listening for half an hour at lunch today. Good listen! Heard about 7 songs which are all currant. (Robin Thicke, Daft Punk, Macklemore, Armin Van Burin as well as Avicii's new song. Only old track was Flo Rida's - Whistle. Seems as though they've finally done away with the 6 month old "hits" business :)
  • lakeyjameslakeyjames Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    t0264 wrote: »
    http://is.gd/fbdq5a

Been bugging me for ages, anyone know what the music in the background is?

As for the music, was listening for half an hour at lunch today. Good listen! Heard about 7 songs which are all currant. (Robin Thicke, Daft Punk, Macklemore, Armin Van Burin as well as Avicii's new song. Only old track was Flo Rida's - Whistle. Seems as though they've finally done away with the 6 month old "hits" business :)

Steve smart used to play this song all the time about 3-4 months ago on friday and saturday night kiss on kiss FM. Its called - Martin Solveig - The Night Out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUlv7qraZaM