Options

Old dial up packages

neyney Posts: 12,516
Forum Member
✭✭
As broadband seems to be the thing now. Are there any ISPs out there in the UK that still offer the old syle dial up packages or is dial up in the UK starting to be faced out and be a thing of the past.
I got a penpal from the USA 15 or 16miles north of Detroit that I talk to online via facebook and now and again via windows live messenger. Who has a 10mb cable broadband and says his friend just 12miles from him can only get dial up or mobile broadband from his mobile company as the phone company dont offer broadband in his area and there is no cable in his friends area as they say its not worth it for about 300 or so houses
I have since in the last month or two added my penpals friend to my Facebook.

Darren

Comments

• Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eclipse do - http://www.eclipse.net.uk

Alex
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dial up still has a place for people who just want to perhaps send and recieve a few emails a month, bit of online shopping. I suspect mobile BB will finish off dial up in the end.
  • Options
    cdsmith15cdsmith15 Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Namesco still do dial up as a pay as you go service.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Dial up still has a place for people who just want to perhaps send and recieve a few emails a month, bit of online shopping. I suspect mobile BB will finish off dial up in the end.

I'd say it will. While on the topic of old dial up packages, back in 1998/1999 my friend had one with BT that you couldn't use til after 6pm as it was too expensive! :eek: Are the dial up packages that are still around anything like that at all or are they PAYG/flat rate? We used to have one here in Ireland (with eircom) that was flat rate. Glad we got broadband now though :D
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember at the time my ex used the Freeserve PAYG dial-up service, then used AOL which was awful even then!
  • Options
    dvboydvboy Posts: 3,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember around 2000 there being an ISP that offered an 0800 number so if you could use the internet totally free if you were lucky enough to get a connection - lines were often busy and would cut out automatically after 45-60 mins. I think this was only in use off peak times and there was a normal 0845 (then local rate) to use outside these times. Think it was ic24.

We also used Freeserve, Zoom and Breathe at various times (Breathe are still going and still offering dial-up at 1p/min according to their website).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I remember all those ISPs, in fact I used to collect internet CDs (the ones in the newspapers and shops in the late 90s). I still have them, I must have a look through them sometime and see what those packages offered.
  • Options
    prawn crackersprawn crackers Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the late 90's I used to use dial up via Sky.

I would put an extra digit in front of the dial up number which meant the call was routed and paid to Sky at a reduced rate.

Therefore hardly any calls were shown and billed by BT.
    So BT put me on a low usage reduced charge line rental.

Then one day I just couldn't get on the internet. I tried over a few days with no luck
    Eventually I picked up the phone and tried to dial a landline number.
    But it wouldn't let me and a recorded message came on telling me to contact BT.

On contacting BT I was told a review of my usage had shown I was not allowed/meant to be on the low usage line rental discount.

On 56Kbps dial up I was getting around 35 to 40Kbps on a good day.
    And if I was lucky enough to remain on line for a whole session it was a pretty rare thing, often requiring 2 or 3 re-connections per session.

Those days seem so long ago, thank goodness :)

PC
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still have a dialup account with Orange. It was called Freeserve when I took up their free web space in the year2000. The website is still going, so when it needs updating I upload pages using dialup. The site still has it's old freeserve address too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say it will. While on the topic of old dial up packages, back in 1998/1999 my friend had one with BT that you couldn't use til after 6pm as it was too expensive! :eek: Are the dial up packages that are still around anything like that at all or are they PAYG/flat rate? We used to have one here in Ireland (with eircom) that was flat rate. Glad we got broadband now though :D
    I was with AOL back then, and the first (quarterly) phone bill I had included something like £300 internet "phone" calls. I learned pretty quickly to use the internet after 6pm! Also, on top of having to pay for each minute you were online through phone call charges, you also had to pay AOL a monthly subscription fee :eek::eek:
  • Options
    a_c_g_ta_c_g_t Posts: 1,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you scout around on your ISP's website you will find it still offers a dial up service on an 0845. for emergencies or just for quick use.

However of course it will be 56kb and no use for streaming HD content LOL.
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    When I was with Plus Net I used to use their dial up service for banking and email when away from home where the holiday home had a working phone line.

That was last year, I've changed ISP and don't know if my current one offers the service.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was with AOL back then, and the first (quarterly) phone bill I had included something like £300 internet "phone" calls. I learned pretty quickly to use the internet after 6pm! Also, on top of having to pay for each minute you were online through phone call charges, you also had to pay AOL a monthly subscription fee :eek::eek:

I never knew anyone who used AOL but I remember the disks - we always got them through our front door. I still have them somewhere :o A friend of ours had BT Internet and they still have broadband with them now.
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember a WHSmith online internet CD back in the early 2000s and a Freesurf one.
    I started internet with Tiny Online pay and go at 3p a min when I first got desktop PC in the late 90s and that was what turned out to be a crappy Tiny PC with windows 98se.
    Changed to a LineOne sufttime package a year or so later and in 2002 I think it was LineOne became Tiscali and they was to keep the surftime packages for 6 or 7 months then let you join the Tiscai anytime dial up package. I had a minor fall out with Tiscali over billing if I remember.
    In late 2005 I upgraded to a Dell desktop PC with windows xp and in early 2006 I upgraded to at the time BTYahoo broadband with a 1mb speed. Later the same year up to 8mb speend started so I moved to that with a just over 2mb speed. That in time improved to a just under 3mb speed.
    I have been with BT fully for phone and broadband since then.

Darren
  • Options
    OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I started with ClaraNet in 1997 at £15 a month PLUS all call charges... 10p daytime, 2.5p off peak and weekends I think.

I went with them as they supported the new fangled k56 Flex modem standard which I had rather than the rival x2 56k modem standard.. then the two standards became one and we all could enjoy blistering 56kbps then called V90 and later V92
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    Back in the day, I started with AOL via a 28.8k modem, we 'upgraded' to DEMON where you could use local access numbers.

I think our local number was a Newark area code, they also went to 0845 number eventually. We had a 3com X2 modem, which we used to get around 42-45k speeds with.

That felt sooooooooo fast back them.

Even better when I met my other half, she had ISDN fitted which was like super speeds! I even remember when we had the first round of BT FTTP fitted in 2004, started at 2mb then 10mb towards the end of the trial. Strange really how things change, were back on the new FTTH trial!
  • Options
    carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The funny thing is with dial up I could download a song at 20kbps but the traffic management on some broadband services nowadays are that severe you would be lucky to get 5kbps!