Children starting school still wearing nappies.

Comments

• UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Kent wrote:
    Of 18 schools investigated, 24 children did not know how to use a toilet and still wore nappies.
    Hardly crisis levels.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    Hardly crisis levels.

No one is suggesting it is a crisis. Merely that the numbers are rising and teachers have voiced concerns, rightly.
    45% of children over 3 at nursery are still in nappies.
    As a parent paying for nursery care etc, I would be annoyed if half the time is taken up with nursery teachers changeing nappies.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    I'm afraid I put her on the loo before she went to bed and put a nappy on her. Then when she got up - usually about 2am to 5am, again (terrible, nightmare non sleeper). After a while the nappies were dry in the morning and she slept without the nappy.

I tried and at the same time I was trying the poor child got a water infection. She was then scared of the potty. I just gave it up and she did actually take her nappy off to use the toilet, long before school.

She went to nursery at 21/2, in a nappy, but was dry by about 3, though I would put her in a nappy for long town trips etc.

It was pretty painless for me. Much better than when I was trying to 'train' her.

Perhaps I was just lucky. But it was VERY rare for a child to be in nappies at 5 - it was years ago though.

Utis are common for girls, particular,ply when potty training, that's one of the big reasons behind the 'don't push them' idea. I love all these posts about how it was so easy back then, never an issue yada yada yada. Every child is different, I'm sure there is plenty of info out there to say why they recommend pushing it back to later.

I also don't agree that it should be a long hard slog, if it is then its too early, wait a bit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Edit: yes easy enough with a quick google http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0021-75572008000100004&lng=en&nrm=iso&tlng=en

Bladder and bowel issues are a primary issue with too early training. As is difficulty training due to trying too early.
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Barring some sort of illness, I don't think there is much excuse for this.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always remember my younger siblings getting potty trained. When they'd finished their 'business' they go around everyone with the potty and show you what they'd done and you'd have to clap and tell them how well they'd done...or else!
  • Early BirdEarly Bird Posts: 2,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Children should not be going to school wearing nappies........ unless they've a medical condition (over-active bowel/bladder)
    they should be potty trained well in advance of attending primary school.....
  • mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    Early Bird wrote: »
    Children should not be going to school wearing nappies........ unless they've a medical condition (over-active bowel/bladder)
    they should be potty trained well in advance of attending primary school.....

Is it not nursery school for the under 5's which is my formal education?

Edit: just read the link and it appears so. Perhaps the children would be better in a private nursery than a school nursery where there is better support for toilet training.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it not nursery school for the under 5's which is my formal education?

Edit: just read the link and it appears so. Perhaps the children would be better in a private nursery than a school nursery where there is better support for toilet training.
    Even nursery ......... Toilet training is a parental responsibility... ...... tbh.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    There's kids that still breastfeed, sometimes up to the age of 8, possibly more. Lazy parenting? Over attached parents, not wanting them to go past the baby stage?

That sounds like my ex-neighbour. She used to carry her school age son to the car even though he was quite capable of walking.
    Forum Member
    Even nursery ......... Toilet training is a parental responsibility... ...... tbh.

Ok so I work full time and toilet train at home ... I paid a private nursery who had my child more than me ... What was I supposed to do? Tell them not to bother? Don't be so ridiculous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok so I work full time and toilet train at home ... I paid a private nursery who had my child more than me ... What was I supposed to do? Tell them not to bother? Don't be so ridiculous.
    no need for the personal remark......... Nothing ridiculous about a parent raising and teaching their child fundamental life skills.....
    Forum Member
    no need for the personal remark......... Nothing ridiculous about a parent raising and teaching their child fundamental life skills.....

I never said there was. Your view is just too simplistic. I expected the nursery I was paying £600 a month to to assist in a large way in toilet training my son they had for 8 hours a day.

Not too much to ask ...!
  • pearljpearlj Posts: 1,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was off nappies at 11 months. I later did a psychology course and it stated that you should not have children out of nappies too early as it has psychological effects later on in life. I remember going home and asking my mother why she potty trained me too early. She said it was me that did not want to be in nappies and that I took them off myself. I guess that we are all different but I do think children should not be in nappies at 5 unless they have to because of a specific health problem.
    Forum Member
    pearlj wrote: »
    I was off nappies at 11 months. I later did a psychology course and it stated that you should not have children out of nappies too early as it has psychological effects later on in life. I remember going home and asking my mother why she potty trained me too early. She said it was me that did not want to be in nappies and that I took them off myself. I guess that we are all different but I do think children should not be in nappies at 5 unless they have to because of a specific health problem.

The children are not 5 though. School nursery children are as young as 3. The article is slightly misleading.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So...is it the nursery who should be responsible for the under 5s toilet training, or parents?
  • IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    I used to be an infant teacher, and never came across a child in nappies. Ugh.
    I used to be an infant, and never came across a child in nappies. Ugh.
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    So...is it the nursery who should be responsible for the under 5s toilet training, or parents?

Parents with the support of the nursery.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The children are not 5 though. School nursery children are as young as 3. The article is slightly misleading.

Oh, I thought that they where starting primary school with nappies on, must have read it wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No the article was not misleading. It stated that there is an increasing number of 5/6 year olds in school who are in nappies and not toilet trained.
    Which part was misleading?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pearlj wrote: »
    Oh, I thought that they where starting primary school with nappies on, must have read it wrong.

You were correct.
    Forum Member
    No the article was not misleading. It stated that there is an increasing number of 5/6 year olds in school who are in nappies and not toilet trained.
    Which part was misleading?

The part I read at the bottom mentioned that they were working with the school nursery. I don't recall seeing anything about 5/6 yr olds.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You were correct.

Thank you benjamini ;)
    Forum Member
    You were correct.

It doesn't say that though, there has been an assumption made that its reception children when it clearl states at the bottom I the article that its pre school and nursery.

Edit

Just re-read it appears they are going to deal with the nurseries
    to combat the problem. Apologies. Which is the correct course of action.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The part I read at the bottom mentioned that they were working with the school nursery. I don't recall seeing anything about 5/6 yr olds.

Schools are working with nurserys because children are not toilet trained when they begin school aged 5.
    Did you read the article.?